Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185827 - 06/19/14 08:13 PM Gear list input please
Sarracenia Offline

http://lighterpack.com/r/8oacg2

So background info. I'm pretty new to this. Over the past couple weeks I've been going on hikes locally, whatever I have time for whether that be 2 miles or 7-8 miles. I bring my pack with me and don't really find much trouble carrying the weight. Biggest issue is blisters hence the benzoin on the list.

I'll be doing a sort of overnight test run somewhere here in CT. Then in mid July I'm planning on Mount Washington. We'll be taking our time with it, the plan is to camp near base on Friday night, summit Saturday and descend to hermit lake, camp and then hike out Sunday. Unnecessary from what I've read but it's for fun.

Then aside from a few 2 day, one night trips in summer, early fall I'm planning a 3 day in October either in the whites again or the long trail. Relatively same gear list modified a bit for temps, probably mostly clothing which I'm kinda unsure of at the moment.

My comments on some items:

MSR elixir 3 - I will be hiking with my girlfriend and dog for many of these. The others will be with friends so the tent will get split up. The listed 1575g is the max I will likely have to carry. The total tent weight was around 2400g.

Regular matches were taken off

Clothing is what I'm mostly unsure of
Base layer - thick sorta fleece lined version. Quite warm but a bit bulky

North face hyvent - thinking it will be good for rain/wind but do I need something else for cold temps?

I'll be hiking in wearing a moisture control short sleeve shirt and moisture control briefs and probably a regular pair of gym shorts.

Edit: oh and feel free to make comments about anything I may have forgotten.

Edited by Sarracenia (06/19/14 10:56 PM)

#185851 - 06/21/14 09:50 AM Re: Gear list input please [Re: Sarracenia]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Looks reasonable to me. No list is going to be perfect for you on your first trip--because you'll have to learn what works for you and what doesn't.

I am a bit confused by your clothing. Seems that you are prepared for cold, but what will you wear if it is 75-90 degrees and you need to hike in that weather?

I'd take zip off pants instead of the track pants, so that I could wear them as shorts if needed.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185854 - 06/21/14 12:56 PM Re: Gear list input please [Re: balzaccom]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Zip off pants are quite expensive. I would just take some light weight gym shorts to hike in if it gets hot.

Some cheap gym clothes are not tough enough to last very long on the trail, particularly if you do any off-trail travel. I would also hand-wash and wring out your gym pants and time how long they take to dry. Those made with a lot of stretch fabric do not dry as fast as simple nylon pants. In fact, this is a good test of all your backpack clothing. You want clothes that dry quickly if you end up falling in a stream or get wet in a rainstorm.

#185863 - 06/22/14 10:25 AM Re: Gear list input please [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Zip off pants are quite expensive. I would just take some light weight gym shorts to hike in if it gets hot.

That's an option...but i've bought at least four pairs of zip off pants in Big 5 stores, and never spent more than $20 on any of them...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185869 - 06/22/14 02:57 PM Re: Gear list input please [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you get the cheap kind (as oat Big 5), dig out your sewing machine and add reinforcement to the crotch seam. Sewing it twice is best! Of course I often have to do this with expensive pants, too! Having the crotch seam (all too often sewn with a single row of long, loose stitches) fail can be rather embarrassing, especially since (at least for me) it often occurs when in a crowd! blush

With those zippers to remove/reattach the legs (which I hate), the weight difference between the convertible pants and a separate pair of slacks and lightweight swim trunks is basically nonexistent. Plus with separate slacks and nylon shorts, you have a spare if you get one of them wet.

I do suspect, though, that it's more likely to be 30* F with high winds and precipitation than 90*F at the top of Mt. Washington, even in July!

Sarracenia, it's extremely confusing that some of your items have the weights listed in ounces and others in grams. I'd use all one thing or all the other, and because of the mixed weight systems, I'd also check your totals! At least with online converters, you don't have to do it manually.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/22/14 11:55 PM)

#185879 - 06/22/14 11:18 PM Re: Gear list input please [Re: Sarracenia]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I use a North Face fleece. There are many other equivalent fleeces. This is the layer I use the most often. If it's going to be cooler, I add a pair of long underwear tops. I'd have a hat for sleeping and the early morning hours before leaving camp.

I don't see any rain pants. At least have a big plastic bag you can make a skirt from if rain is unlikely.

Deodorant and the wipes (if scented) can attract bears. That's fine if you don't mind them licking your armpits.

Plastic water bottles are fine for water. They are light and inexpensive. Plus they come with free water.

Pack the gear you don't want to get wet in a plastic bag inside your pack. Pack the sleeping bag in a plastic bag inside the compression sack. Some people use trash compactor bags which are stronger.

I use a pair of scissors instead of a knife. I've never had a use for a knife to do anything scissors can't do. It's hard to cut yourself on scissors. Scissors are better if you have to make a sling or a makeshift bandage.

I don't see toilet paper. About a quarter roll is all a person should need.

The flashlight is unnecessarily expensive and heavy. If you already bought it, then it will work.

The 21st Century Backpacker's Bible is one of the best books for gear recommendations. Bert Nemcik has been hiking and backpacking for over 50 years and has tested many kinds of equipment. He also hiked the Appalachian Trail.

#185984 - 06/27/14 08:10 PM Re: Gear list input please [Re: Gershon]
Sarracenia Offline

Sorry I'm taking a bit to respond here. As far as warm weather clothing I will be hiking in with shorts and a short sleeve shirt on. The track pants, base bottoms, and rain jacket will be in the pack for when we get higher up and the weather shifts.

I will try to switch the list so everything is in grams and repost it.

@Gershon: The track pants should serve me fairly well if it rains but I am debating including some sort of makeshift rain skirt. I don't think bears are as much of an issue on mt Washington as some other places so I'm not overly concerned with that. I won't be bringing any plastic water bottles. Just the camelback bladder and the platypus. The compression sack is also a dry sack for the sleeping bag. For other stuff it may either be in the tent with me at night in the case of clothing or I may use a compactor bag as a sort of pack cover to help keep it dry. I picked up a tiny pair of scissors in case something can't be done with a knife but they are a backup. I've also since added a small roll of TP just in case. There are facilities on the base and summit of mt Washington though. Also I don't see how 23g is heavy for a flashlight and I picked it up for about $10 on sale.
I'll take a look at that book.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum