Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185762 - 06/16/14 05:39 PM Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!!
moeharris Offline

Hey, I am about to go on a backpacking trip with a friend. We will be heading out to Arizona, probably be in hot and rocky terrain. I was hoping to get some advice on boots or shoes that can get the job done. I naturally lean towards to army hiking boots, but I'm nervous it isn't the right choice. I am really hoping you guys can share some of your wisdom, or boots names and models with me.
Moe

#185766 - 06/16/14 07:41 PM Re: Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!! [Re: moeharris]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Well, I live in Arizona and hike here a lot. Mostly I use trail running shoes but also, occasionally, sandals. If you are coming to Arizona in the summer, I doubt that you will be desert hiking unless you like triple digit temps and blazing sun. Thus, you will be above the zone where cholla cactus are a major issue. Even with cholla around, trail runners are a good choice; you just have to watch where you put your feet, a good idea anyway.

Trail runners are comfortable, cool(ish) and light. Army boots are designed for the Army, not for the recreational hiker. They require break-in, they are heavy, hot and are not particularly well ventilated. I haven't hiked in Army boots since I left the Army and haven't missed them at all.

#185768 - 06/16/14 10:03 PM Re: Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!! [Re: Pika]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By Pika
Well, I live in Arizona and hike here a lot. Mostly I use trail running shoes but also, occasionally, sandals. If you are coming to Arizona in the summer, I doubt that you will be desert hiking unless you like triple digit temps and blazing sun. Thus, you will be above the zone where cholla cactus are a major issue. Even with cholla around, trail runners are a good choice; you just have to watch where you put your feet, a good idea anyway.

Trail runners are comfortable, cool(ish) and light. Army boots are designed for the Army, not for the recreational hiker. They require break-in, they are heavy, hot and are not particularly well ventilated. I haven't hiked in Army boots since I left the Army and haven't missed them at all.

Pika is one of the most experienced desert hikers on the forum and he has been doing it for many years. If he says trail runners or sandals will work, then they will.

However, I disagree with his assessment of the modern combat boot. I have over 2,500 miles on this boot and they show little sign of wear. I do keep the soles covered with Gorilla tape so they don't wear at all. They are comfortable right out of the box and don't require any breaking in at all. They are made of a leather that feels like suede. They have inserts in the leather for ventilation. They are cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather. They are the top choice for soldiers going to Afghanistan who don't use the issue boots.

This weekend, I hiked 10 miles in a pair of Keen hiking shoes and I hated them. Pine needles and little rocks kept finding their way in the top. They didn't have enough forward motion control on the downhill sections and I ended up with a hot spot on a heel. My toes are a tiny bit sore today like they would have also had hot spots or blisters after more miles. I NEVER get anything like this with my boots.

The soles of hiking shoes make it feel like I'm walking on sand compared to the combat boots which give a firm and stable platform. Hiking shoes let every little pointed rock assault my feet. There is none of this with combat boots. Cactus needles don't come through the soles of the combat boots like they can with hiking shoes. The combat boots have an energy return system that makes them rebound with each step while still absorbing the impact of each step. This more than makes up for any weight difference.

Moe, you should know I'm the only one of this forum who recommends the modern combat boots. I think I'm also the only one on this forum who has worn them. I don't know anything about any other combat boot except the Danner boot. Each style of Combat boots is made for different purposes, so you'd have to be careful choosing a substitute.

Danner boots tend to be true to the size measured with those things they have in shoe stores. There should be enough room in the toebox to wiggle your toes in all directions. There should be about a half inch in front of the toes. They should feel a bit loose in the toebox compared to what you may be used to with other pointed shoes.

#185771 - 06/17/14 09:44 AM Re: Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!! [Re: moeharris]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm mostly a desert hiker and agree with the other posters.
Trail Runners (new balance for me) have been my staple hiking shoe for years. No special style, just whatever fits. I've never had a puncture problem walking among all the pricklies the desert offers. I did hike in sandals but gave it up the first stick stab wound I got under my toes. The only wounds I've ever had inflicted in desert hiking were on my calves and arms from stepping over dagger plants or brushing against ocotillo plants....boots would not have helped me.

Gershon mentions Danner boots. I heard others talk highly of them and I have my eye out for a pair as work boots. I do trail maintenance and boots are better than trail runners in that scenario, since I'm off-trail. Right now I'm on my 5th year with some Walmart waterproof "combat boots" that I really like. They are very light and have proven to be very tough as well. I wouldn't use them for hiking.

Most of us are about ultra-lite hiking. If you reduce your over all load, including shoe weight, you don't need "ankle support" or much of anything heavy duty. Running shoes work just fine. You'll go farther, be fresher, and have less hot spots by freeing up those tootsies.

Edited by Dryer (06/17/14 09:46 AM)

#185785 - 06/18/14 01:06 AM Re: Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!! [Re: Gershon]
moeharris Offline

Gershon, thanks for your very helpful response.
I hear where other people are coming from in regards to the trail shoes but i am interested in the boots and I am happy to hear that you don't think it will be a problem. Do you suggest a certain style sock to go along with the boots? Should I be making sure that my socks go all the way up the length of the boots? I saw these under armor socks meant for hiking in the heat, do you think I might need those?

#185786 - 06/18/14 06:50 AM Re: Boots?? Shoes??? Help!!!! [Re: moeharris]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Moe,

I use a variety of socks and they all work. My favorites are Rawlings, but I can't find them anymore. Smartwool smells bad. Thorlos work well. You can find them at Walmart. Jox and Sox are a cotton/synthetic blend and work well. Fox River work, but not as well as the others. I even use an Amazing Socks blue sock liner which works well. White cotton is fine for around town, but they aren't as comfortable as the wool.

Mostly I buy whatever wool blend socks are inexpensive at Big R.

A normal length sock will extend just over the boot top.

Heat isn't a problem in the boots. I do know someone who recommends under armor socks.

You could start out with wool and carry sock liners in case your feet swell while hiking. I've never had it happen, but some people do.

If you eventually want to clean the boots, use saddle soap and a toothbrush. Rinse the soap off with water. They don't need any other treatment.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum