Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164753 - 04/08/12 10:37 PM First time going
JGWalters Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Hellooo everybody. I am planning on going on a 2 person backpacking trip. Planned for 3 days. I was hoping some people can spare some knowledge about what to bring? I have nothing except a stove, tent, sleeping bag and 2400 cu in backpack. Any other things recommended? Price is a little bit of a factor AND this will be my first time, so nothing to outrageous.

#164758 - 04/08/12 11:55 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
It will REALLY depend on where you are going, and when. There are some good basic articles on this topic on this website...and you might check those first.

And then tell us where and when you are going, and we'll be able to give you better advice.

There's a gear list on our website as well, which is what we take in the summer in the Sierra Nevada...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#164760 - 04/08/12 11:58 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
lori Offline

Where are you going, and what conditions do you expect?

Have you read the articles along the left side of the main page of this website? There are gear lists there.

Lastly, I would suggest renting gear (tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and stoves can all be rented) instead of buying it, because if you get bitten by the backpacking bug hard, you will want to drop a lot more money on quality gear up front - because (take it from me) it saves you a ton of money in the long run, also a lot of pain, stiffness, etc. And since gear needs are so variable depending on where you are backpacking,
and personal preference also plays a big role, and experience is the biggest factor in my having enough gear sitting around to outfit two other people.... An avid backpacker undergoes an evolution over time. I started without this advice and picked nearly everything I shouldn't have gotten, right down to the cheapest, heaviest sleeping bag in the world, and froze myself. If your sleeping bag weighs more than two pounds and cost less than a hundred bucks, it's probably in the same class as the one I started with - I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy. Figure out what the expected low temps are for your trip and rent a sleeping bag that will work for that range. Take a sleeping pad. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

You should pay special attention to the fit of your shoes and the fit of the backpack. A good outfitter will measure you and fit the backpack for you.

Another thing you'll need to know is what the food storage is for the area you're heading into. If the park or wilderness area requires you to carry a bear resistant canister to store food and trash in, you will want a bigger backpack. 2400 cu in is not a very big backpack.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#164764 - 04/09/12 12:01 AM Re: First time going [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Lots of articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left hand column. (Same as mentioned by the previous posters, but providing you with the link.) The gear lists are designed for the Pacific Northwest, which has a generally milder climate than some parts of the US.

As balzaccom and lori say, a lot depends on where and when you are backpacking!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/09/12 12:03 AM)

#164861 - 04/10/12 04:31 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
JGWalters Offline

Ah of course, my mistake. Location does play a huge part. We are going in PA, right across the river from NJ. Talked to dept of forestry and the only thing they told me about what to bring was some warm clothing, as temps can drop to around freezing at night in the mt areas (but then again didn't really ask them anything about packing, just permits.). But yes, as I said all I really have is a pack, sleeping bag and stove. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction of both nessacities(SIC) for 3 day trip and little things that can make it maybe just a little easier on a rookie backpacker until I get some experience.

#164863 - 04/10/12 04:35 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
JGWalters Offline

We are going April 27-30. Also thinking about bringing my cousins dog, would we be able to get away with not getting a pack to carry his food and bowls? Dept of forestry said there was a lot of fresh water on the trails were looking at, so we were only going to bring maybe 3 total gallons and some water purification tabs so the water is usable.

#164866 - 04/10/12 04:59 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
lori Offline

3 gallons???? Just take a liter and a filter.water is the heaviest thing you'll have!

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#164871 - 04/10/12 06:36 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
John Donewar Offline

Loc: Louisiana
JG,

If I did the math correctly and you bring the 3 gallons of water that you mentioned, the two of you will have approximately 1.88 liters or essentially 2 quarts of water per day. That would be before collecting, filtering and treating any water along the trail.

3 gallons of water weighs approximately 25 pounds. That isn't even considering the weight of the container.

That would mean that each of the two of you would be carrying at least 12.5 pounds before adding your food, shelter, sleeping gear and the weight of the pack itself.

FWIW I use "fresh" nylon stockings as a pre-filter and I treat it with Katadyn Micropur chlorine dioxide water treatment tablets. I have used an Aquamira Frontier Pro water filter in the past but I have discontinued using it and have had no problems. YMMV

Sometimes the water is a bit "stained" and has a bit of a "flavor" to it. smile

I pack Gatorade powder with me on my trips and add it to my treated water to help with the color, taste and it also helps keep my electrolytes in balance so that I do not "bonk".

Do some research using either a trail guide book, topo map or a local outfitter's advice and plan out your water stops. Try to plan ahead and learn the distances to each reliable watering hole.

The most water that I ever carry at any one time in and on my pack is 3.5 liters. I only do this when I know that I am going to have a long dry stretch of trail before I get to the next water source.

FYI I usually do my long hikes on the AT. If you are going to be hiking on a portion of the Pennsylvania AT trail guide books are readily available that will tell you exactly where the water sources are along the trail.

Enjoy your trip,

Newton cool

#164918 - 04/11/12 09:54 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By JGWalters
Also thinking about bringing my cousins dog, would we be able to get away with not getting a pack to carry his food and bowls?
That's just one more thing you'll need to carry in a pretty small pack. Since you're a newbie at this and likely have no ultralight (i.e., low volume) gear you may be hard pressed to fit all your own gear into it. I hope in your case that your pack is an external frame so you can strap some things on the outside. I also hope your cousin has a pack as well or you'll really be hosed. If not, borrow one.

I'd keep it simple and leave the dog with someone. Give that someone your route plan so they know when to expect you and can contact authorities if you are significantly overdue.

Do NOT carry 3 gal of water. 2 1-liter bottles at the most (per person) is all you should need. You can treat one while drinking from the other.

It was written from the Boy Scout perspective, but this paper should be useful for other newbies as well. You need to learn how to layer your clothing properly and that comes mostly with experience.

Even if these are highly used trails, know how to navigate and what your bailout routes are in case something goes wrong. Also good to know some basic wilderness first aid.

#164928 - 04/12/12 05:02 PM Re: First time going [Re: JGWalters]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
The water gap is beautiful country. Late APR can be gorgeous or cold - read the forcast and plan accordingly - including the rating of your bag.

Depending on the brand/type of gear you already own, food will be another large contributer to weight. I'm still struggling to get this right - believing the portion markings on packaging seems to be a big factor in not bringing too much.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum