Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127251 - 01/24/10 02:20 PM rock climbing while hiking/BPing
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Sooner or later, perhaps on your first backpack or hiking trip, you will be looking at a rock or cliff and thinking that it would cool to climb it. There are things you need to keep in mind as you do.
What is the class of the rock? Rock is loosely classified as class 1 through 6, 6 being impossible to climb without direct aid like pitons. Class 5 rock is the largest group and is referred to as technical rock, where roped technique, climbing shoes or special boots, and “Pro” protective devices carried by the leader can be inserted into cracks to provide attachment points for the rope, and a two person team, one leads and the other protects the leader by holding the rope and arresting falls.
Class 2 rock may be climbed easily but class 3 is called scrambling (similar to bouldering) and it requires using both you hands and feet. Class 4 is Class 3 climbing done in an exposed position where a fall could cause serious injury or death. If it seems like a long ways down and you feel pretty scared, you may have ventured onto Class 4 rock. Novice climbers should avoid class 4, 5 and 6.
On Class 2 rock you will want to have shoes with some traction but if they are soft soled and conform to the rock “smear” and the rock is dry, don’t worry, just keep your hands up about chest high to give you the best balance and move carefully trying not to step on rocks that can roll under you. If you slip off a rock and it rolls toward your foot you could break a bone or worse, have an ankle trapped between two rocks so its best to not even get onto Class 2 rock alone. A coffin sized rock is almost 100% safe to step on, smaller rocks should be looked at carefully for their shape, position, slope and surface.
Class 3 ROCK IS THE MOST DIFFICULT THAT YOU SHOULD ATTEMPT. It is steeper and you will feel the need to use your hands as well as your feet. If you are in old tennis shoes, or wide bottomed running shoes, don’t try it, if you have fairly new trail runners or cross trainers or boots, go ahead. Your legs will push you upwards so you will want positive footing; think about where your feet will go as you move up and you can see ahead, do not simply let them thrash around as they might land on a loose rock. You sort of climb your feet up while using your hands to hold you to the rock, then push up with your legs while finding new holds for your hands, and repeat. ALL THE TIME YOU ARE GOING UP YOU SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT HOW YOU WILL GET DOWN.
Stand “in balance”. Hugging the rock will force your feet backward and push you off making an easy climb dangerous. Keep your legs straight up like you were walking down a side walk, this is called climbing in balance and is the most important yet counterintuitive art to learn. You may watch experience climbers on what looks like very steep dangerous rock, walking on it like it was a sidewalk, it is this technique that forces their shoes directly down onto the rock and holds them in place, lean in just a bit and they’re off.
Climbers plan a route, then execute it step by step until they arrive at the top, then they come down an easier path to the bottom. Most climbing injuries occur rappelling and experienced climbers avoid rappelling at all costs.
1. Have adequate shoes and clothes that protect your knees from abrasion.
2. Avoid loose rocks and slick rocks.
3. Rain can make an easy climb into a deadly one. Wet rock offers far less traction than dry. If its looking rainy maybe don’t climb.
4. Have a route in mind before you start. Spend time looking and thinking “how would I get down from there if I had to stop because I couldn’t go up.
5. Down climbing is a lot harder than up climbing. If you climb up the hardest rock you can find, you will not have the skill to climb down.
6. Remember rappelling is very dangerous, you need good anchors, a harness, a good rope, a brake device and training. Find an easy “walk out” instead.
7. Avoid climbing near the edge of overhangs and places where a fall could be lethal.
8. Bouldering, climbing rocks near the ground, is a good way to sprain an ankle or break your back. This is a special skill requiring climbing shoes, strong fingers, good technique, a spotter to catch you and preferably a thick mat to land on. A very short fall, even 4 feet can break and ankle or back.
9. Finally for instance the final trail to the top of Mt Whitney is narrow and very steep on each side; a slip could end your career, In such a position, turn back, don’t “Go For It”.
Jim

#127268 - 01/24/10 07:56 PM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: Jimshaw]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
And one other thing of which you should be aware, if you climb in the southwest, is snakes - particularly rattlesnakes.

There are a couple of places where we go climbing (class 3) and also rapelling where rattlers tend to hang out and sun. Our rule is "don't put your hand/feet where you can't see".

Yes, I know this is not always possible but you have to use common sense.

Just a thought.

#127273 - 01/24/10 09:25 PM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: Tango61]
Jimshaw Offline

Tango
yeah theres places I've climbed in the Mojave where you pull yourself up and look into each crevice before you put your hand there. Sometimes you think leather gloves might be a good idea. I had a friend in Australia who was a climber and he said that when you pulled up onto any ledge, you did so very carefully. They found the molted skin of the worlds most poisonous snake at the bottom of one climb.
Jim

#127281 - 01/25/10 01:07 AM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: Jimshaw]
AussieBushwalker Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I had a friend in Australia who was a climber and he said that when you pulled up onto any ledge, you did so very carefully. They found the molted skin of the worlds most poisonous snake at the bottom of one climb.

You do this every time you are climbing/scrambling up (or even going down) a cliff line. A lady from my bushwalking club climbed a small cliff on a well trodden path and had a Brown snake wriggle past her hand as she placed it on the ledge. Scared her good, unfortunately she has passed on now but after this incident she never blindly placed her hand on a ledge again.

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
They found the molted skin of the worlds most poisonous snake at the bottom of one climb.
Jim

Yes, molted skins are always fun to find and they do freak some people right out.

Another guy I know via bushwalking was abseiling down some cliffs on a river about 5km from my home. He did all the right things including having a look down before descending.
As he got near to the bottom a snake wriggled out from the rocks and he landed right on top of it. At first he was terrified as he couldn't tell what type of snake it was. Lucky for him it was a non-venomous Python that took off as soon a he landed on it.

Moral of the story: even if you check you can still get a big surprise. grin

Cheers,
Micahel

Edited by AussieBushwalker (01/25/10 01:08 AM)

#127339 - 01/25/10 06:16 PM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: AussieBushwalker]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
A note to some who might be learned in rock climbing but not backpacking.

I have a full rack of climbing gear, and my friend and I decided to got to Jackson falls and plan a backpacking trip going past some known climbing routes. I think we were so excited about the idea we did not stop to think of just how much extra equipment that was to be bringing in.

Long story short, if you know what you are doing with rock climbing and you want to do some 5 routes with backpacking I would suggest sticking to sport routes so you need minimal equipment. Also what i normally do to balance the load of the rope, one person takes all the food, and the other takes the rope.

It still adds weight, but it is not nearly as bad as taking a rack with for trads.

#127350 - 01/25/10 08:01 PM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: RogerB]
Jimshaw Offline

Roger B
I hope I don't offend you if I translate that. And good idea by the way.
He's saying if you want to do some class 5.something technical routes way back in, do some sport routes where you only need a rope, anchors, shoes, and a belay device. Trad means traditional multipitch climbs which require at least 30 pounds of gear added to your backpacking gear, which includes a full rack - 15 to 25 pounds of protective devices.
Jim

#127387 - 01/26/10 03:52 AM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thank you Jim, the previous post definitely required some translation!

#127411 - 01/26/10 01:01 PM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The equipment weight is just another reason why trads usually climb in pairs (at least). It was even worse back in the piton era. All that weight does build character.

#127461 - 01/27/10 11:39 AM Re: rock climbing while hiking/BPing [Re: Jimshaw]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
Jim,
No offence taken, I kinds just started typing and did not have time to go back and read it. I did kinda through a lot of terms in there some people might not know. Thanks for taking the time to clear it up.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum