Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110269 - 01/28/09 12:58 PM Sleeping bags ???
GipsiChick Offline

Loc: USA
Looking for a 0 F Bag that is somewhat light weight (around 4 pounds), under $50, water resistant (no canvas or flannel bags), and fairly rugged as I have a dog.
Suggestions welcome!
I've noticed Slumberjack's seem to fit my needs.... anyone have one or ever used one?

#110319 - 01/29/09 08:48 AM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I have and use a Slumberjack 30 degree bag for summer camping or for wet conditions. It's not water resistant (the shell is fairly thin), but my fill is synthetic so it doesn't lose insulation when wet like down. I like the bag, but depending on just how rugged construction you need it may or may not work for you. Find a place that sells them and look at their demo model, it may help you make the final decision. On the whole, though, I like mine and the quality is pretty darn good for a bag under $50.

#110337 - 01/29/09 01:49 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
When I hear the "S" word I immediately think car camping and not serious backpacking. I have three for my family including a 0 degree model. The loft is adequate but I would not actually use it near 0 degrees because it lacks a draft collar. I think Slumberjack's temp ratings are way too optimistic. But if you don't mind the bulk and you're not going very far they may be for you.

If the dog is going to be IN the bag with you I would avoid a mummy.

I'll repeat what I wrote in an old post: When it comes to sleeping bags you can have light, warm, or cheap.

Pick any two. You can't have all three.

#110347 - 01/29/09 04:35 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: Trailrunner]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
When it comes to sleeping bags you can have light, warm, or cheap. Pick any two. You can't have all three.

This is a tremendously wise quote.

#110360 - 01/29/09 06:15 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee

Slumber Jack does have some bags that seem to fit your needs however, with that being said I think that I would look at a name brand bag so that I would know that I could depend on it when the weather and every thing else around you gets rougher than you expected...Your bag is one of those items that you "have" to be able to depend on....I know years ago I had several fairly good bags ..low temp ratings and all that but when I did encounter bad or at least in climate weather, they just didn't do the job..However, it is up to you and you can get some really good deals on the Slumber Jack name brand. I have a Marmot "never winter" and it goes about 2 lbs. and is a 30 degree bag. I use a closed cell pad, and inflatable pad (Big Agnes). I also have specific clothes that I wear if the weather is really really cold. That greatly increases the temp rating of my bag and usually keeps me nice and toasty too...Hope that helps....sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!

#110701 - 02/04/09 01:15 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
GipsiChick Offline

The reason why I chose a 0 degree bag is because 1) I'm a cold sleeper and 2) Most temps will be 18 degrees and above. As far as I'm concerned all bags are rated too low!
No my dog is too big and squirmy to sleep IN the bag but she can be rambunctious (especially in the mornings) and jump on me to wake me up so the bag should be able to hold up to her jumping on it (and me grin ).

I did come across a -20 bag by Ledge called the River that's on sale. It is 7 pounds but considering that my entire cooking and serving set weighs less then a pound, I could handle 7 pounds if it's warm enough!

#110707 - 02/04/09 02:19 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
I do have a Slumberjack rated for 20F and it has served me well, even in Alaska during the fall. I however usually sleep with clothes on so I'm sure that helps in the keeping warm department.

#110711 - 02/04/09 02:41 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
Sparelink Offline

Loc: Oregon
i know it might sound lame, but i got this one from walmart. it is not a tank my anymeans, but i is pretty durable and keeps me warm.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2581360

#110740 - 02/05/09 05:16 AM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: Sparelink]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sleeping bags can be warm, light or cheap, but not all three! You'll have to choose. At $50, you're not going to find the first two.

#110748 - 02/05/09 09:17 AM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: GipsiChick]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By GipsiChick

I did come across a -20 bag by Ledge called the River that's on sale. It is 7 pounds but considering that my entire cooking and serving set weighs less then a pound, I could handle 7 pounds if it's warm enough!

7 POUNDS! eek eek I thought my 7 lbs for sleeping bag AND tent was heavy. And they are both crappy and need replacement. I am trying to get that down to 5 with a tarp/bivy/quilt combo, all MYOG.

Edited by finallyME (02/05/09 09:18 AM)

#110767 - 02/05/09 03:20 PM Re: Sleeping bags ??? [Re: finallyME]
GipsiChick Offline

Considering that I will be touring the US on bicycle and living in a tent for the next 4 years I don't think a tarp would suffice for me!
Weight isn't that much of an issue since I will be doing 1-2 day backpacking excursions whenever I come across a trail that looks interesting. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum