Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198041 - 03/28/17 08:54 PM From the Smokies to the Desert
Hdr2 Offline

Loc: Southern Illinois
Hello to all! We are first time backpackers currently preparing for 12 days of hiking in Southern Utah (Zion Narrows overnight) and Arizona (Havasupai). In addition to training, I have been spending a fair amount of time reading up on books suggested in other beginning members posts so I'm not the first time backpacker asking the same questions all first timers ask.

With that being said, I know no experience/reading/training will truly prepare us better than being on the trail. In a few weeks we will be spending some time near Gatlinburg. We plan to take advantage of our time and get a good test run in with our weighted packs. We have never hiked in this area, so we are looking for suggestion for good day hikes that will offer a fair amount of elevation change to test our endurance. I understand the terrain and atmosphere will be completely different than our hikes in the desert, but we might as well test our limits while we have the opportunity. Suggestions and advice are welcomed and appreciated!

#198042 - 03/29/17 10:54 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: Hdr2]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Watch out when your flatlander feet transition to sloped trails. Years ago, I walked up to Low Gap from Cosby campground and back. It's only five miles round trip, but by the time I got back to the campground, I could hardly walk. It took three days for my feet to get to the point where I could hike again. I originally blamed my boots for the problem, but I think now that it was Achilles Tendinitis. A similar thing happened to me in Canyonlands NP a few years ago, but I paid more attention to the symptoms and stopped sooner. There isn't anyplace in Illinois where you can get the elevation changes that you will find in the east and more so in the west. I walked to the top of Bell Mountain in Missouri a couple of weeks ago, but that was only around 400 feet of elevation gain and 8 miles round trip. I didn't have much time, so I started at the north trailhead. If I had started at the south trailhead, I would have had 700 feet of elevation gain. I had some difficulty walking for the next few days, even though I regularly walk 2 to 4 miles around my home. I haven't been using trekking poles until recently, but I do think that they help me.

Once you get to the Smokies, I would suggest a few short day hikes with some reasonable elevation gain and loss and see how you do. You may not have any trouble, but I would hate to start a long hike and find out that I did have trouble.

Edited by wgiles (03/29/17 10:55 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#198046 - 03/29/17 03:52 PM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: wgiles]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Try to find a steep hill or stairs and make rounds up and down that repeatedly, especially with your pack on.

#198047 - 03/31/17 09:32 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: wgiles]
Hdr2 Offline

Thanks for the advice! Fortunately, we have a few parks in Southern Illinois that offer a little elevation change, but it is nothing compared to what we are about to face. I just ordered a 4th pair of boots that offer a but more ankle support than the other 3 I have been testing.

We plan to stop at REI on our way to Gatlinburg, so I will pick up some trekking poles. My boyfriend is convinced he doesn't need them, but I am getting two sets anyway.

Again, thank you for the advice. Please let me know if you think of anything else!

#198048 - 03/31/17 09:34 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: 4evrplan]
Hdr2 Offline

Thanks for the tips!

#198049 - 03/31/17 10:18 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: Hdr2]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
You might want to check out the Outdoor Products Trekking Poles at Walmart. They are under $18 per pair and the ones that they have now have Flick Locks. In addition to my BD carbon Trekking poles, I have a set of these that I use occasionally. Otherwise check out the Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles for around $45.

#198055 - 04/02/17 11:35 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: wgiles]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Good luck getting a backcountry permit in Zion. They book a year in advance. I would head over tot he grand staircase and do some of the canyons of the escalante

#198056 - 04/02/17 01:15 PM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: toddfw2003]
Hdr2 Offline

We already got permits for Zion and Havasupai. Zion was booked for our date within the first few minutes. I've been planning the trip for about 8 months, so I was fortunate to know I had to be on top of permits as soon as they went on sale. We have planned some extra time to explore other areas, so we will have to check that out. Thanks!

Edited by Hdr2 (04/02/17 01:22 PM)

#198060 - 04/05/17 11:01 PM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: Hdr2]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I call the Smokies home. I have a couple day-hike suggestions, but how many miles are you thinking?

#198063 - 04/06/17 12:40 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: ETSU Pride]
Hdr2 Offline

Anywhere from 6-8, depending on elevation change. We appreciate any suggestions!

#198065 - 04/06/17 11:30 AM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: Hdr2]
ETSU Pride Offline

For a beginner with some elevation gains at that mileage, I recommend hiking to Charlie Bunion on the Appalachian Trail from Newfound Gap parking lot. It's 8 miles round trip around 1,000-1,5000 feet elevation gain. If you have the energy do a side trip to Mt Kephart, also known as Jump Off, it will add an extra mile to your trip. The view from Jump Off will show the entire Appalachian Trail on this section of the Park. I do recommend getting an early morning start, because it going to get crowded in the late afternoon from motorists and other tourists.

#198066 - 04/06/17 01:33 PM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: ETSU Pride]
Hdr2 Offline

We will definitely check out Charlies Bunion. I had previously looked into that trail, so it sounds like it will be perfect. Thanks again for the suggestion!

#198092 - 04/08/17 08:26 PM Re: From the Smokies to the Desert [Re: Hdr2]
ETSU Pride Offline

After you do Charlie Bunion and if you have some energy the next day, you could do a short trip to Andrews Bald. 3 miles round trip and the view is awesome and you can also walk to Clingman Dome from there either on the 1/2 mile one way pavement, or take the trail that runs next to it (Which is the A.T.) . grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum