Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185618 - 06/07/14 09:34 PM Survival gear on planes
time away Offline

Loc: Illinois
Now that I have my survival pack ready, I dont think it can all go in my checked luggage. Can you pack char cloth, flint, magnesium, lint, or iodine?

#185630 - 06/09/14 10:22 AM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: time away]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
probably...but I would ditch the iodine. Of course, I would also ditch the char cloth, lint and flint.

#185642 - 06/09/14 03:41 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree. I developed a severe allergy to iodine after using it to disinfect water for just 4 weekends. It caused a deep-seated rash (lichen planus) that left permanent scars. I still cannot eat anything made with iodized salt or any seafood. For emergency water disinfection, I strongly recommend some form of chlorine dioxide (such as Katadyn or Aqua Mira tablets) instead. Believe me, you don't want to risk what I went through!

The flint and char cloth are totally unnecessary. Besides, in a true emergency--most likely a situation where hypothermia is imminent--you'll have a really hard time using them when you're shivering, your hands are numb and all the wood is sopping wet. I take a mini-Bic lighter, a paper match book, and, as a third backup, about a dozen of the REI emergency matches (they stay lit for a long time and, IMHO, are the best thing REI has ever come up with), and half an Esbit tablet. There's an excellent reason that our ancestors with their wood or coal fireplaces and stoves abandoned flint and steel as soon as matches became available!

What you can't carry on the plane, even in checked luggage, is fuel. Sharp points (knives, trekking poles) and liquids also need to go in checked luggage.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/09/14 03:43 PM)

#185646 - 06/09/14 05:17 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: finallyME]
time away Offline

Helpful, thanks.

#185647 - 06/09/14 05:21 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: OregonMouse]
time away Offline

I plan on buying adjustable lighters when I get there. I dont expect I can pack them either. We enjoy sur ival skills and keep oursel es open to as many choices as we can, including flint, etc. I will take into co sideration the iodine issue you had. Thanks for sharing that info.

#185648 - 06/09/14 05:23 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: OregonMouse]
time away Offline

I dont think I can take waterproof matches in my luggage either. Have to pick them up when I arrive?

#185649 - 06/09/14 06:39 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: time away]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You can pack a lighter or a book of matches in a carryon:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_lighters.html

The only exception is "strike anywhere" matches which I haven't been able to find for sale in a long time.

... and I agree with advice above leave the rest behind and just bring a lighter.

#185654 - 06/09/14 11:32 PM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: BZH]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

You can pack a lighter on the plane. I do all the time.

And in a survival situation, two bic mini-lighters beats flint and char cloth any day.

Don't get me wrong, it's *FUN* to play wiht char cloth and flint and old school, I like doing it, But far from the right choice
for "survival gear".
Browse my pictures

#185683 - 06/11/14 09:48 AM Re: Survival gear on planes [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Looks like OM did a good job on explaining why iodine is not a great option.

I should probably also explain why I would ditch the char cloth, lint and flint. There is a difference between a "survival" kit, and a bushcraft/ re-enactment kit. A bushcraft kit is designed to help you practice primitive skills. You test yourself and have fun doing it. A survival kit is designed to keep you alive. You want your survival kit to be the highest tech it can be, and you want it to give you the highest chance of success. Char cloth is great at catching an ember, but there are better options out there that do a better job, aren't as fragile, and burn hotter. Lint is also good as tinder, but it won't work if it has synthetic fibers in it. And, you won't know that unless you try to burn it. Cotton balls do the same thing....but they give you the 100% guarantee that they are 100% cotton. If you add an excellerant to the cotton balls, then you have a better chance at fire. Flint and steel is not the easiest way to start a fire. A ferrocerium rod is much easier, and lighter.

So, really the difference is that you said this is a survival kit. Most bushcrafters I know say you are a fool to not carry a bic lighter. In my fire kit, I take a lighter, a waterproof container of storm matches (UCO or REI brand), and a ferro rod. I also have 2 pieces of wetfire, and a bunch of cotton balls with a small container of vaseline. Sometimes I carry a magnifying glass. I try to use the ferro rod or magnifying glass first. This is for fun and practice. The matches and lighter are for when I REALLY need fire. You can also buy small road flares. That is probably the best option.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum