Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185243 - 05/21/14 01:12 PM newbie
Blue Offline

Loc: Northern California
I am new to backpacking but not to camping and being in the woods. I am planing on going on a 5-7 day trip here in northern california (havent picked area yet). I am looking more of the adventure than going from point A to B. Its going to be a solo trip. My question is how is the mental side of being alone. I have always been with others. This trip is solo and want it that way. Any tips or advise is very much appreciated. thank you for taking time to help.

#185244 - 05/21/14 01:17 PM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
My only suggestion is to make sure someone knows where you are and to stick to it - If you give your trip expectations to someone and it says you will be going no further than said point, than I suggest (even if the trip is going so well) that you not go further than that.

Hope that makes sense smile

#185247 - 05/21/14 01:58 PM Re: newbie [Re: Heather-ak]
Blue Offline

Thank you for advise.it makes total sense.

#185248 - 05/21/14 03:53 PM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
My question is how is the mental side of being alone.

A hard question to answer for someone else. Tolerance for being alone in a wild place varies greatly from person to person, depending on their personality and experience level.

I can say that one very normal situation for a first time backpacker, but especially a first time solo backpacker, is hearing sounds in the night that you cannot immediately assign to a source, thus leading you to imagine the worst possible explanation.

There are many animals active in the night, the vast majority being harmless creatures such as chipmunks, porcupines, deer, skunks, raccoons, or some other non-predatory creature. But the silence of a wilderness night makes even small noises seem large and unknown sounds seem frightening. If you get a few involuntary doses of adrenaline from this, it is normal.

Then there's the issue of getting a tune or a thought stuck in your head and you can't get it out. But that's a whole 'nother story. grin

#185256 - 05/21/14 05:39 PM Re: newbie [Re: aimless]
Blue Offline

i have spent a lot of time in the woods camping, hunting things like that. the noises arent the issue as much as the solitute or maybe boredom lol. maybe thats why people hike so much during the day and bed early. its just new to me as far as going solo. But really want to experience it if that makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to reply all info is greatly appreciated.

#185259 - 05/21/14 06:10 PM Re: newbie [Re: aimless]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Actually, that's a whole 'nother tune. smile

Yes, I know they don't send donkeys to college because no one likes a smart a**.

#185264 - 05/21/14 08:12 PM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The fact of only having oneself to rely on, so there's no one else to consult with or to correct your errors of judgment is another potential hazard inexperienced solo hikers need to be aware of. If you spend much time hunting, then you probably can recognize hazards and make slow and deliberate decisions that keep you out of trouble. When I'm solo, I don't ever rush past a fork in the trail without double checking or take a physical risk that can be avoided with a moment's extra thought or effort.

But, as I said, this doesn't sound like a warning you need.

As for boredom, that's not a problem for me mostly because of my somewhat introverted personality. I find being alone for days at a time to be pleasant and refreshing. Your mileage may vary.

#185287 - 05/22/14 06:27 PM Re: newbie [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

I spent a lot of time alone early on. I found I got through the nights easily by making sure I was tired from putting in enough miles and always having a good book to read. I always made sure I had enough spare batteries to allow me light in whatever shelter I was using. Electing to turn off the light and sleep seemed psychologically better to me than being forced into darkness. Fires were always a good friend, too, though I'm afraid that won't be an option for you in Ca. I also made sure to have some food I really liked to look forward to. Made meals more enjoyable sitting there alone. There's always the music option now, too. I do OK alone, but those few things helped me deal even better.

#185290 - 05/22/14 07:05 PM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I think most of the concerns have been covered:

Safety: As mentioned, leave an itinerary with a trusted friend or relative, and stick to it religiously. Plan an easy trip and avoid risky behavior or off-trail adventures. If you decide to keep on solo backpacking, especially if you do want off-trail adventures, consider purchase of a Personal Locater Beacon or SPOT or Delorme Inreach. I carry a PLB primarily to keep my family off my back (it's a psychological weight-saving device!).

Psychological--again, covered above. I'm going through this again because in the past my solo backpacking (although not solo hiking) was with my beloved dog, and things are far lonelier since he passed away nearly a year ago. (My feet get colder, too!) Last summer all my trips were with grandkids so I wasn't alone and therefore not missing the dog. I'm getting accustomed, though. I'm hoping that before I'm too accustomed to going without dog, I will be able to find another one.

With modern technology, you can take a tiny gizmo onto which you have downloaded books, music, etc.. Boredom shouldn't be an issue. (Please use earphones so you don't disturb others in the area.) If you're dubious about using high-tech in the back country (I am), take one along but don't use it unless you have to. I normally am awake the first night out listening to night sounds (thrilling compared to the traffic, boom boxes, etc. back home), but after the first night I'm so tired that I have no problem falling asleep.

#185292 - 05/22/14 09:10 PM Re: newbie [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
A suggestion on the itinerary.

Rather than give it to someone, email it to them. That way they can email it to SAR if they need to.

Include a picture of yourself wearing your backpack and the clothes you will be hiking in. Also include a picture of your tent set up. Finally, make a picture of your footprints. Have a picture of your map. I've been told a person should always call their local 911 when reporting a person missing, and they will route the call to the proper agency.

Give the agency controlling the trailhead a call and let them know you will be leaving your car there. It will likely be the local sheriff's office.

Give the local forest service or controlling agency a call. Ask about fire bans and anything else you need to know. Today, I found the area I was considering going to this weekend was still under seven feet of snow. Another time, I found out a small plane crashed at the trailhead, and the area was closed. A couple summers ago, they had a MAJOR blow down of trees about 100 miles long. Many of the trails were impassible.

Being alone will either be fun or it won't. Back in 1976 or 77, I took a 9 day solo winter trip in Yosemite. The first night out, I met a group of 5 women my age who brought Christmas dinner. I spent the night with them in a hut I didn't know about, and then went on my way solo.

Edited by Gershon (05/22/14 09:11 PM)

#185315 - 05/23/14 01:28 PM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I think how you feel about it really depends on if you're comfortable alone. Some people just are not and if that's the case you won't like it much.

If you are comfortable alone you'll be fine, may even love it. I've always been quite comfortable alone so I enjoy going solo, but even I get a bit bored with myself after a few days.

"You want to go where?"

#185319 - 05/23/14 02:01 PM Re: newbie [Re: billstephenson]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I don't have a lot of trouble with going solo, been doing it pretty much all my life, but there are a few things one needs to think about.

Like others here, I rarely sleep well the first night or two.

I'm extra carefull about the depth and speed of water I need to cross and also of very rough rock areas, and also as noted above, I'm extra careful at trail forks and fairly quick to make sure I'm on the right one.

Because I tend to wander a bit, I've not been as careful as I should have been about leaving itinerary and pix, nor have I ever carried a beacon, but have now started doing some of this (yeah, family thing, but it is a very good idea).

One last thing from experience: If you start feeling sick or weak, get yourself off the trail. Don't try to tough it out and end up where you are hard to find and even harder to rescue.

best, jcp

#185681 - 06/11/14 02:27 AM Re: newbie [Re: Blue]
Calico Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I am doing my first solo backpacking trip this weekend. Heading to Desolation Wilderness for backpacking and fishing. I recently moved back to San Francisco from Southern Nevada. I've gone camping and hunting by myself several times so being alone is no problem for me. I always give someone a map of where I'm going and a description of where I plan on being specifically on the map. Also a border so if a search is needed they know what area to search in. Also let at least one person know when I should be back in phone reception to send a message that I'm OK. Just do be extra careful out there on your own.

Most people don't want to "rough it" like backpackers do and to bring someone along means your responsible for them. Sometimes bringing a person who is interested in getting into backpacking is great if they have gear.

Edited by Calico (06/11/14 02:28 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum