Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159322 - 12/28/11 03:19 PM Where to start?
cadkins Offline

I know...it's a broad topic and subjective to the poster but, I will ask anyway.

I am going to be going on a couple of backpacking trips with some friends this summer in NC. First trip is a short overnight of about 8 miles up and 8 miles back. The second trip will be a week long trip through Pisgah National Forest.

I am wondering what gear would be best to purchase and what to rent. Since I have never went backpacking before but I will probably go camping with my mountain bike buddies, I am sure some of the gear will transfer over.

I am think that a tent, sleeping bag and a sleeping mat would be the best choices for purchase. Leaving a backpack for rental.

The guys I am going on the hiking trip with have done it before so that will be nice. I am very fit 42 year old so I am sure I won't have too much trouble keeping up. My main concern is getting the stuff that I need without dropping a fortune on something that I might use once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance!

#159325 - 12/28/11 03:38 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: cadkins]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I might be inclined to rent the tent, too. Since you'll be using it for bike trips, you'll probably want to get a compact (i.e., small) tent - renting a small solo tent will give you a good idea of how small a tent you'll be happy with before you sink big bucks into it. (For this application, you might look at Tarptents, which maximize space for weight/compactness of tent. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to rent one.)

The only problem with renting is that you may not get good representative gear. I recently went on a trip that included a beginner who rented her pack and tent from a local college outing club. They rented her a 6 pound, 2-person tent, a synthetic sleeping bag, and a 1500 cubic inch day pack with a hipbelt. Naturally, she couldn't put all her stuff into the pack, and didn't have any lash points to add stuff outside - not to mention that the pack was never designed to carry twenty five pounds, and was a men's size large, which didn't fit her 5'2" frame! She was uncomfortable the whole time. They rented her what they had, not what she needed.

#159327 - 12/28/11 04:11 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: Glenn]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Are your friends experienced backpackers? If so, they probably have a tent or two among them, so skip buying one for now. As for a bag and pad, you may be able to rent those, but a simple blue foam pad is only about $10. Pretty much everyone starts out with one of those because they are so cheap. Better pads like a Ridgerest cost up to $40 or so and the inflatable ones can cost up to close to $200.

Bags are all prices, from the heavy cheap bags you see on eBay or at Wal-Mart for $25 up to hundreds of dollars for a light, warm down bag. If you don't know what you need or want or even whether you will be using it often, try renting a bag or borrowing one from a friend. The same is true of packs-there are cheap ones up to expedition quality packs of every size from a day pack to a huge winter pack. I would try to borrow or rent a medium sized pack. Even if it's not perfect, you aren't going that far on your first trip. Collect your gear first, then decide on a pack, not the other way around.

There are gear lists posted here on TLB (links are on the Home Page) and on many other sites. Find ones for the kind of trip you are doing and the weather conditions. My gear list for winter camping looks nothing like what you will be carrying.

You have plenty of time to sort all this out, so reading sites like this one or perusing online gear shops like REI and our other sponsors will give you an idea what is available. For lightweight gear, use the links to the left of the posts to see a wide variety of gear of all sorts.

Edited by TomD (12/28/11 04:12 PM)

#159328 - 12/28/11 04:30 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: cadkins]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I like your thinking about buying the gear you know you will use and renting stuff that might not get used, however some advice:

1) the fit of the backpack is most important. See if you can rent or borrow one that fits you well, if not think about buying one that fits you.

2) when looking for equipment that you will dual purpose for car camping with your mountain biking buddies, do not buy tweener equipment. Buy the backpacking specific equipment and make do with it when car camping. When I was starting to buy equipment for car camping I had it in the back of my head I wanted to get back into backpacking. So... I made the bone headed move of buying lightweight car camping equipment and heavy duty backpacking equipment. The stuff sucks at both applications and I ended up re-buying most of it twice. Start off getting lightweight quality backpacking equipment and if you decide you want more luxury items for car camping get those later on. It is a pretty sure bet you won't enjoy backpacking if you start off trying to lug heavy car camping equipment up the hill.

#159332 - 12/28/11 05:51 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: cadkins]
lori Offline

Now that I am several evolutions into this gear thing, I suggest the opposite of your plan - rent or borrow those things. Tent, pack and sleeping bag/pad are the most expensive and least objective items you will get. What works for you may be completely different than what works for anyone else.

You can buy inexpensive base layers, inexpensive rain gear, make your own stove and get a cheap pot - food for an overnight doesn't have to be some expensive freeze dried meal, a Subway sandwich works. You will want to not wear a lot of cotton if it's probable rain, but your first trips will likely be fair weather and short - you can get by with stuff you already have one or two times, if you've got synthetic or wool stuff already. Even hiking boots can wait if you have tennis shoes that fit and will be comfy for a few miles. This is all presuming that you follow other advice for newbies about keeping the miles shorter and going out for one night. Do an overnight or two before you go on those trips with your friends and you'll get some experience that will make them easier for you.

lowergear.com rents, so does REI, so do some other stores - our local outdoor store does. You can also rent bear canisters to keep out critters where necessary.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159333 - 12/28/11 06:45 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Another way to get gear is to buy used. However, before going that route, you need to know what you are looking at, especially on eBay. Buying used gear successfully (meaning good gear at a great price) is an acquired skill. I'm pretty good at it, but I know what I am looking for and have done it for a while. There is a learning curve which is mostly figuring out what you want in the first place, spending time looking, knowing prices and what to watch out for (off brands, mostly). But it can also help you fill out your gear list for about half of retail or less.

Craigslist is a good source because the buyers are usually nearby and prices seem to be cheaper than eBay. Also, using a specialized search engine, you can search other parts of the country, or you can do it manually from any site by switching cities.

#159339 - 12/28/11 10:10 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: TomD]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I would not rent or buy a used sleeping bag. It is nearly impossible to really wash and sanatize a sleeping bag and the "yuk factor" is just too much for me. A sleeping bag is a good investment whether you continue to backpack or not. I always carry a sleeping bag in my trunk when I travel, for emergency. If you hit the sales, you can get a good bag for about $250-$300 -- under $200 if you are really lucky. Just keep it under 3 pounds. You do not need to start out with a 900-down -- the 650-down bags are always on sale. Or a synthetic is fine for a starter bag. If you are 43 yrs old, and in good shape, you are capable of carrying slightly heavier stuff. You can pay an extra $200 and get a 2-pound bag that is as warm as a cheaper 3-pound bag. Only you can descide if it is worth the extra.

I never had a tent of my own until I had been backpacking for several years. I always went with people who had tents and just camped with them. Same with cook gear- just went with people who had all that stuff.

A pack is one thing that is good to rent or borrow. You can try several brands and models and get a good idea of what you will eventually buy for yourself. Same for a tent, if you want to sleep solo.

If you stay on trails, you do not need boots. Trail runners are fine. I think wool socks are the best- I use Smartwool socks. They are expensive, but then I wear them for everyday too so even if you do not backpack much, the socks are worthwhile. Lots of general sport store clothing works well. I find that the hunting-fishing stores have clothing at lower prices - just be sure to get the light weight clothes. Almost all backpacking clothing can be used for many other sports or wear as casual clothes so money spent on them is not wasted if you decide not to contine backpacking. My raingear and hiking pants and base-layers are my only backpack specific clothing items.

And I would say forget the SPOT, GPS or other expensive electronic gagets. Just learn to use a map and compass.

#159340 - 12/28/11 10:25 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: TomD]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I always get in trouble on this question as my opinion is a lot different than others. An 8 day trip is pretty long for your second trip. Not impossible, but it could easily be a mess with gear thrown together without a plan that is too heavy.

One overnight trip before an 8 day trip probably isn't enough to learn how to use the gear well. You can help yourself by simply hiking a few miles around the neighborhood with your pack and spending the night with the gear you will use in your backyard if possible, or in an apartment with the windows open as a last resort. Be sure to walk in the rain whenever possible.

The time to find out the method you use to keep your sleeping bag and extra clothes dry isn't working is at home, or at least on an overnight trip. It's better to find that cheap poncho you buy splits on the first use when you are at home. It is also helpful to be able to set up the tent in a short time without confusion.

Almost everything else is secondary to a good night's sleep in a dry tent with a good bug screen. That's a bit of an extreme opinion, but it works for me.

I've put together a list of gear for a "beginner's pack." It's also one I'd be happy to carry. You don't have to buy it all at once, and you may never buy some. But it gives you an idea of what subsitutes should look like.

Some comments. I use my backpacking clothes a LOT at home. I've pretty much given up driving except to get to a trailhead. I walk in all sorts of weather, so I'm real familiar with how to stay comfortable.

Here is my gear list. It's meant as an example to work from. Look for cheaper subsitutes, especially clothes. Yes, it's expensive, but for 10 days out, it's no more expensive than other vacation alternatives. And the gear can last more than 10 days. All the gear can be bought at REI.

Edited by Gershon (12/28/11 10:28 PM)

#159341 - 12/28/11 11:29 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: cadkins]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Lots of articles for beginners, gear lists and other goodies on the home page of this site, left hand column.

Specifically for those on a low budget:
Backpacking for cheap by Mark Verber has links to lots of gear lists for getting outfitted inexpensively.

Dirtbagging and deal shopping by "Sgt. Rock" has lots of good ideas.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/28/11 11:31 PM)

#159343 - 12/29/11 06:54 AM Re: Where to start? [Re: cadkins]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Buy very little. And that which you do purchase, almost all of it can be found used in excellent condition, the rest can be had for far below retail.

I buy stuff to donate to local scout troops all the time, if you watch and wait you can great deals for slightly used gear. Packs are the easiest to get for fraction of the cost.

#159357 - 12/29/11 03:41 PM Re: Where to start? [Re: DTape]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The first substantial purchase should be a good, warm lightweight bag. You have lots of go advice here. One of the last items should be a tent - I am with WD here. I packedd for years before I purchased a tent. Learn how to use a lightweight tarp.

A lot of really fine gear can be improvised or obtained very cheaply.

#159367 - 12/30/11 10:44 AM Re: Where to start? [Re: oldranger]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
When I was in my 20's and backpacking with my buddies, we let our EGO's get the best of us and we carried our own spacious 3-man 6lb tents instead of teaming up. The same went for to much fuel, can goods, fishing gear, etc. As already mentioned, and since you will be in a group, try to share your gear when ever possible to keep it light.

P.S. This is a great site....

#159455 - 01/02/12 08:12 AM Re: Where to start? [Re: intrek38]
cadkins Offline

Wow. Thanks for all the great info! Thanks Gershon for the gear list. I will certainly save that and use that.

I think I will take the advice and find a good sleeping bag. The "yuk factor" that was mentioned was certainly something that was in the back of my mind. sick

My freinds have done this trip many times but they don't have extra gear and they even said that most of what the take they still rent. Good thing going for me on the renting side is the manager of the REI here is also on the board of our mountain biking group. smile

Thanks again for all the advice and I hope you all had a great Holiday and a lovely New Year!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum