Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158813 - 12/16/11 02:33 PM REI tent recommendation...
Chad from WV Offline

Wanting to take advantage of the 30% off one REI brand product AND the $100 gift card I got as an early Christmas present, I was looking at a new tent. Trying to stick to a tight budget but still get something of decent quality, I was looking at the REI Camp Dome 2 or the REI Passage 2. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on either of these tents.

http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

Thanks!

#158815 - 12/16/11 03:58 PM Re: REI tent recommendation... [Re: Chad from WV]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Last year I bought an REI 2-person Camp Dome tent. The choice was dictated by the need to replace a much heavier 1984-model REI dome tent that my wife loved. The Camp Dome was the most similar tent to that older tent, so that pleased her. This was after looking at some other 2-person tents that she rejected.

We've only used it twice. My take on it is that it is a very rudimentary tent, but adequate. Having two side doors is a plus. The rain fly arrangement doesn't appear as if it would be reliable in long-term rain, but seems ok for short rain episodes. I haven't uncovered any glaring defects in it. It is defintely better than a department store cheap-o tent. If you only have $80 to spend, you could do MUCH worse. Just don't expect a Taj Mahal.

The Passage looks to me to be essentially the same tent body, but with a rain fly that provides more coverage. But, I can't vouch for that, as I've only glanced at the photo on the REI web site.

#158939 - 12/19/11 12:35 PM Re: REI tent recommendation... [Re: Chad from WV]
DoobyDoobyDoo Offline

I just purchased the REI passage 2 tent. I have used it twice - and think it is the bees-knees. Albeit I am relatively new(last few years and limited excursions) camper. I have yet to take it ona multi day hike but intend to do that over the MLK day weekend.

It is a pretty small tent - as far as interior goes - I am about 5'10 - 180 lbs and slept in it by myself - it will be pretty snug with two people my size - not uncomfortably so, but snug. It does have two doors, so thats awesome. The rainfly does provide a nice sized vestibule area to store stuff. I easily fit my golite 70L pack outside.

I purchased it with the included footprint. Color coded, easy to set up. Took me about 5-10 minutes to get it completely set up myself on the second attempt. Probably will be quicker as I get more experience with it.

I didnt use it in the rain either time, so I can really speak to its performance there, all of the reviews I have read however indicate that it will perform well.

The vent mechanism at the top was reallllllly neat. Seems to be well constructed and lived up to my expectations(though they may be a little limited).

Let me know if you have any other specific questions and I will attempt to answer them.

#158940 - 12/19/11 12:46 PM Re: REI tent recommendation... [Re: DoobyDoobyDoo]
Chad from WV Offline

No, that was really helpful. From what I have been reading, it looks like the Passage 2 is the way to go for me at the moment. Hopefully once I really get into the swing of things and done with school this summer I can swing a really nice ultralite setup but for now I think this one will be more than suitable. THanks again.

#158961 - 12/19/11 05:27 PM Re: REI tent recommendation... [Re: Chad from WV]
Chad from WV Offline

Thanks again for all the help. I went ahead and ordered the Passage 2 and the footprint for it as well. I like the idea of using the rainfly and footprint with the poles as an alternative to packing the entire tent during the summer and from what I have been reading, the Passage seems to be the higher regarded of tents I was looking at. It should be here Wednesday so'll I'll have a good look at it then. Thanks again everyone.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum