Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134722 - 06/04/10 08:15 PM Intro and Trekking pole question
joelh Offline

Newbie here and just starting to move into backpacking from car camping. I have been walking several miles with a loaded pack every evening to begin to get in shape for my first trip in late june.

I just got a set of trekking poles and have a cadence question. Most info that I have found on line seem to indicate moving the poles at the same cadence as my stride. I find this to be a bit awkward. My natural cadence with the poles seems to be about half my walking cadence, but is somewhat independent of my stride.

Should I just go with what feels natural, or attempt to train myself to use them differently?

Sorry for the dumb question, but if I am going to use them, I want them to work for me.

#134723 - 06/04/10 08:35 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Here is a great site on using trekking poles: Pete's Poles Page Try out the suggested techniques to see if they work for you.

#134735 - 06/05/10 09:31 AM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
As it turns out, I use my poles the way that the referenced Peter Clinch's site suggests, that approach just makes sense to me, and it's become very natural.

BUT: I know some very very experienced, successful and happy backpackers that use their poles completely differently than I do, so I'd be leery if anyone suggests that any one approach is the only "correct" way ...

#134739 - 06/05/10 02:42 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: BrianLe]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It is possible that there is only one way of using poles in any situation that maximizes their effectiveness in that particular situation. But maximum effectiveness is not always required (unless you are an athlete in competition), so, if it doesn't feel natural or normal, then I would say drop back to what might be less effective but comfortable.

Having said that, when I do see hikers on local trails with trekking poles, the chances are about 50% that the poles are adding nothing at all to their hiking experience, except style points. These hikers just sort of move the poles randomly and don't even put weight or stress onto the poles at any point in their stride. They may as well be waving them in the air for all the good it does them.

#134741 - 06/05/10 04:15 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: aimless]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Unless you are infirm and need the help of poles where its level, they will offer you nothing until the angle gets above maybe 30 degrees. So do you hike mountain sides? If not you may find that you end up carrying them on your pack because it takes less energy to carry them than to pick them up and swing them with extended arms. When its steep enough to lean into them and thereby add your strong chest muscles to those of your legs. It off loads your legs and knees but of course you need the arm muscles to make it work well, but you kinda become a bent over quadruped. You can consider carrying one hiking pole, it does similar things, is lighter, and consumes less energy in the flats.

As far as using a pole for a cane, I found when I broke my leg that you use the cane with and along side the good leg.
Jim smile

#134747 - 06/05/10 05:46 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Go with what feels natural. On most trails there is not a perfect place to plant your pole with every single step. Learn to adapt.

I have used poles for hundreds of miles uphill, level and downhill. They can help anywhere if you use them properly. Just make sure they're pushing you up/forward and are not working against you. That being said, I would not use them so much as to be dependent on them.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134748 - 06/05/10 05:46 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: Jimshaw]
joelh Offline

Thanks guys, I will keep walking with them on my evening training walks and try to concentrate on using them properly. Most of my planned hikes are in Western NC and the slopes, while nothing compared to out west, are still pretty impressive. I am going to do a shake down walk on a portion of the Foothills trail later this month and then will be doing the Art Loeb trail in August.

#134750 - 06/05/10 06:06 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134751 - 06/05/10 08:12 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm not sure if I'm using my poles for maximum effect; I've just never paid that much attention. I know they are very useful on uphill and downhill, and they do take some of the weight and effort. However, even on flats, I tend to use them rather than carry them on my pack because the force my hands to do something other than hang at my sides - and as a result, they don't swell up (edema?) in the afternoon, like they did before I started using them.

#134759 - 06/06/10 12:09 AM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I'll bet your pack straps cut off the blood return from your arms and the flexing of [your shoulders]using the poles pumps more blood through them. I just hated carrying an unused pole over my shoulder. I guess I don't really carry them much in the summer unless I'm going up into snow or steep non-technical rock, but I carry poles in the winter because I ski camp.
Jim

#134765 - 06/06/10 07:38 AM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

I think you're right about the blood flow; it's definitely some kind of circulation issue. My fingers don't get numb; they just feel slightly full or swollen, and it goes away if I loop my thumbs into the loops on my load lifter straps for a couple of minutes, or even just remember to periodically squeeze and release an imaginary ball as I walk.

It's an annoyance, not a problem, and I find using poles eliminates it.

#135104 - 06/13/10 11:40 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: Glenn]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
All

I'll give another example of how trekking poles can help. When I turned my ankle in rough terrain, trekking poles took enough weight off my ankle to let me haul myself out - w/o having to bag the hike and/or call SAR to haul my overloaded but out of there.

Second example - very useful when ridgehiking, esp. if there isn't anything to grab on to if you slip.

And I hate the things in flat terrain/improved trails - just weight then.

Steadman

#135108 - 06/14/10 02:13 AM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
my favorite part of trekking poles

"We all need somebody to lean on"

Recent trip to the Kalalau Trail on the island of Kauai, HI

Edited by Narf (06/14/10 02:14 AM)

#135222 - 06/16/10 03:21 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: Glenn]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“and as a result, they don't swell up (edema?) in the afternoon, like they did before I started using them.”

Yea, I also noticed poles stop the hand swelling. I can get hand swelling on long walks w/ or w/o a pack. But when I started using my GG strapless poles 5+ years ago, I noticed my hand swelling was totally eliminated.

In fact, if I ever go walking w/o poles and my hands just start to swell, I put my hands into fists (as if holding a pole) and squeeze/pulse them to my walking cadence. And then the swelling never comes. I didn’t know about this trick until I got my GG poles. So I can relate to your “periodically squeeze and release an imaginary ball”

It’s just another bonus of poles.
-Barry

#135767 - 07/02/10 12:06 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: joelh]
ohiohiker Offline

I use my poles as if I were cross-country skiing. They can help on level ground too if the footing is unstable, such as on ice, snow, or mud. If I use them on level ground, I will travel faster because my stride lengthens and I can go faster without as much regard for stability.

Google "nordic walking".

#145591 - 01/30/11 03:12 PM Re: Intro and Trekking pole question [Re: ohiohiker]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I used to use one pole when out coon hunting. We crossed a LOT of very small creeks, that were often times not much more than a little water flowing over a rock bed. Those type of rocks are VERY VERY VERY slick. There would be times of the group of 5 or 6 of us, I would be the only person to not fall in a creek. We also climbed a lot of very steep hills that had no trail what so ever. I found that as long as there wasn't a bunch of brush/briars in the way or it wasn't a situation where you needed to grab onto the rocks to get over them, the pole was always nice to have. It also made a good shooting stick a few times. In my type of situation I think two sticks would have been a liability, because we were in totally unimproved areas, and often one ahnd was needed to move limbs out of the way and stuff like that, but on an improved trail, two seems like a good option.

Edited by james__12345 (01/30/11 03:14 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum