Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138788 - 09/14/10 05:32 PM First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah
Slow Mo Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
I'm going on a guided trip and I have learned a lot from reading this site and others. I clearly need to eliminate some things now that I am really packing for my trip (next week)..but I'm shipping my pack ahead of time. They'll go over it all with us before we head out but...silly questions/thoughts...

What do I sleep in? I am sharing a tent with a stranger mind you. Hairbrush? Not a necessity but I am woman with long hair and I suspect 4-5 days w/o brushing will mean a big fat dreadlock mess. Deoderant? They didn't put any deod/soap on our suggested list aside from toothpaste and wipes and now I read it should be unscented. So go with my small scented or ? Any advice at all is welcome! smile

#138790 - 09/14/10 06:45 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Eggs Offline

Loc: NJ
By what do you sleep in I assume you mean cloth of some sort. I guess it depends on the temps. I would say shorts and a shirt of some sort if it warm. maybe a base layer of long johns and top if it's cool/cold

My wife braids or makes pony tails of her hair for longer trips.

I skip the deodorant. No one will care about your smell as we all get smelly and that is just that.

By the way a wool shirt will really help the smelly issue. It takes a long time to get them funky smelling. I've had mine white with salt sweat stains but they still just smell like wool

#138792 - 09/14/10 07:02 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Katie Offline

I've always gone to the travel section of Wal-Mart and picked up one of those tiny hair brushes that fold up, as well as a sample/travel size of deodorant, if you feel you need it.

#138794 - 09/14/10 07:48 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Katie]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I sleep in my base layer (what used to be called long underwear), which is relatively clean. I don't wear it while hiking, and when I wear it around camp on cold evenings or mornings, my other clothing is on top.

Back in my long hair days, I braided it. A pocket comb was sufficient to comb it out when rebraiding. I never have taken deodorant on a backpacking trip. Instead I just use a damp HandiWipe to wipe off the strategic spots once a day.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/14/10 07:55 PM)

#138810 - 09/15/10 09:29 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Slow Mo Offline

Thank y'all! One more thing I can remove from my pack. Yay!

#138813 - 09/15/10 10:59 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Slow Mo Offline

Another question since I can't seem to narrow the "search" tools here very well.

Stuff sack to cover self inflating sleeping pad? I haven't been covering mine tho it's lashed outside/bottom. Should I cover it?

#138817 - 09/15/10 11:44 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You don't need to.

#138825 - 09/15/10 01:33 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Eggs Offline

Loc: NJ
Does your pack cover cover it in case it rains. That would be my only concern. Pads are pretty easy to dry if you have a camp towel. But if you have it in a plastic bag might make your life a bit easier

#138828 - 09/15/10 02:07 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
If I understand you, your inflatable sleep pad is uncovered and tied on to the bottom of your pack? I would cover it with the stuff sack because I would want to protect it from getting punctured and dirty.

#138843 - 09/15/10 03:29 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: OldScout]
OregonMouse Offline

I keep my sleeping pad (insulated air mattress) inside my pack, to avoid punctures. If you must have your sleeping pad on the outside, this would be the exception to my rule to avoid stuff sacks or, if absolutely necesssary (like around my cooking pot to keep the lid on and the contents from falling out) to use the lightest available (lightweight silnylon or mesh). In this case, I'd use a sturdy stuff sack of polyurethane coated nylon to protect that pad. It won't be much use to you with a hole in it!

#138851 - 09/15/10 05:08 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Slow Mo Offline

Hmm well for now it is outside and uncovered. My rain cover will cover it but yep..puncture was my concern. I think I am out of room inside considering I still have to put food in there. Yikes clothes are bulky and heavy. Amateur packing so that might be corrected by the guide when I get there.

I packed only what they suggested but my pack is a bit smaller (3800) than they recommend (4000-6000)

#138854 - 09/15/10 07:23 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
OregonMouse Offline

Take a look at the clothing on this list. Might help you decide on what to take.

My own rule is to take no more clothing than I would wear all at one time under the worst possible conditions for the locale to which I'm going. The exception is socks, for which I take one or two extra pair. Normally my base layer is worn only in camp and in bed, so it stays relatively clean and dry.

#138878 - 09/16/10 12:46 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: OregonMouse]
Snakeeater Offline

Can you post what they said to pack so we can make better suggestions.

Also, think about making anything and everything multi-purpose. A stuff sack when filled with clothing becomes a pillow. Rain gear over a sweater serves as a cold weather jacket.

Also, for what to wear at night think about a long sleep shirt if you don't want to wear your underwear.

If the weather won't be too cold you can reduce your sleeping bag weight with a fleece sleeping bag/liner and wear a base layer in it to bump up your warmth. A leaf size trash bag over the fleece bag will help keep the warmth in as well, just cut a slit along one edge so you can open it as needed depending on the weather. The Marines used to issue a full (read that as heavy) four season sleeping bag system and then found that the troops were not using the full size sleeping bag, just the lighter patrol bag and wore their clothing inside the bag.

Of course, cut back/off excess materials on everything you can, like the handle on your toothbrush. A sturdy pocket knife will serve most any needs you have for a sharp blade in camp so you don't need multiple cutting tools.

Hope this helps.

#138889 - 09/16/10 03:37 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Snakeeater]
Slow Mo Offline

Well I can't really make too many changes now since I shipped my pack off yesterday. I didn't want to check it on the plane but do I have a day there before we actually meet and go.

I did read enough to pack my cold weather clothes as a pillow. Yay me! Ha! But mostly I followed this list b/c I'm a rule follower and figure this will totally be a learning experience...later I am sure like the rest of you I'll modify a lot. Unless they offer us storage for things we don't need I am stuck with taking what I packed which is why I stressed quite a bit. I could have done w/o the swimsuit b/c my underwear/sports bra are appropriate but...figured I'd better go ahead and take one.

Provided Gear
Tents (3 season, 2 person)
Cooking gear
Stoves and fuel
Water filter
Trip leader first aid kit
Bear canister

Backpacking Gear
Backpack: large internal frame or external frame (4000 – 6000 cu. in.)
Pack cover – waterproof
Sleeping bag (rated at 20°-25°F)
Sleeping pad
Trekking poles - highly recommended
Outerwear
Rain jacket and pants, lightweight waterproof and breathable
Clothing
Midweight fleece or wool sweater
Mid-weight thermal top and bottom made of synthetic or wool
Hiking pants, quick-drying, lightweight (zip-off legs are great). No jeans!
Hiking shorts, quick-drying, lightweight
1 T-shirt, synthetic
2 changes of underwear
Hiking socks, 2 pairs of wool or synthetic
Sock liners, 2 pairs of synthetic liners (optional)
Clothing Accessories
Sun hat with brim
Wool or fleece hat
Bandana
Lightweight wool or fleece gloves
Footwear
Hiking boots: heavy duty, waterproof, and well broken-in, should rise above ankle
Travel Accessories
One 1-quart water bottle, Nalgene-type, even if you have a hydration system
Headlamp with spare batteries and bulb
Plastic bowl, spoon, fork, 16 oz. mug with lid
Sunglasses and retainer strap
Sunblock, small amount not the whole bottle, min SPF 25
Lip balm (unscented)
Personal medications
Insect repellant (small)
Toothbrush & trial-size paste
Pack towel and/or washcloth
Personal first aid kit, small and light with personal medication
Bic lighter
TP System: In a gallon Ziploc Bag store these items:
Toilet paper (not a full roll) & 1 ziploc quart baggie, orange plastic trowel, WetOnes, Feminine Wipes, Pantiliners for women
1 large plastic garbage bag
Optional Field Gear
Down vest or jacket (highly recommended)
Swim suit (for bathing and swimming)
Compass: the guide usually teaches with a Sunto M-2
Ear plugs
Lightweight camp shoes/sandals
Journal and pen
Camera and film
Hydration system (bring at least one Nalgene-type bottle, even if you do bring a hydration system)

#138898 - 09/16/10 07:19 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Katie Offline

What "group" are you going with? I'm in DFW as well.

#138929 - 09/17/10 10:52 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Katie]
Slow Mo Offline

It's an REI trip. Nobody that I actually "know". And I don't know any bpackers around here...I'm in Ft.Worth...done most of my training at Sansom Park mtn bike trail.

#138930 - 09/17/10 11:50 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Katie Offline

Oh, interesting. Which REI? We've been to the Plano one like a million times, and once to the Dallas one. I didn't know they even did trips, just that you could rent some big items (tents, kayaks etc) from them. Let me know how the trip goes!

#138944 - 09/17/10 03:54 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Katie]
Slow Mo Offline

I've only actually been to REI once in Dallas. We don't have one here in FW. I just found the trip online. If you go to their website it's under Adventures. Of course this being my first trip I can't recommend it! HA! Not many reviews out there either..couple bad (schedule changes) and a handful of good. I had to wait to book my flight until enough people registered. Their domestic stuff seems priced well compared to other guided trips I looked at. I'll report back when I return.

Edited by Slow Mo (09/17/10 03:56 PM)

#139934 - 10/05/10 05:30 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Slow Mo Offline

Just wanted to thank you guys! My first backpacking trip was a great success. I learned a lot! REI was great in that they went through our packs with us before we left so we didn't take anything we didn't need. My pack ended up weighing 37.9 and appx 18-19 lbs of that was camp share/food. I can get it lighter on my own but it was fine. My only regret is that I didn't take an extra day to see more of Shenandoah on my own...what a beautiful place.

#139956 - 10/06/10 08:33 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Old Hiker Offline

Loc: VA
Originally Posted By Slow Mo
Just wanted to thank you guys! My first backpacking trip was a great success. I learned a lot! REI was great in that they went through our packs with us before we left so we didn't take anything we didn't need. My pack ended up weighing 37.9 and appx 18-19 lbs of that was camp share/food. I can get it lighter on my own but it was fine. My only regret is that I didn't take an extra day to see more of Shenandoah on my own...what a beautiful place.

You took a trip to Shenandoah? Really, what state? I hike the AT when I get a chance, and love Shenandoah National Park and the AT in MD and VA. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.

I'm with you on taking more than you need. I am now working through this forum as well as well as the original site to find ways to lighten the load.

#142799 - 12/05/10 11:55 AM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Slow Mo]
Chief943 Offline

Loc: McDowell, Va.
Where exactly did you go? I live in the area (McDowell, Va.) and do dayhikes on the Shenandoah Mountain since I live 9 miles from the trail head.

Hope your trip went well.

Chief

#142809 - 12/05/10 02:16 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Chief943]
Richardvg03 Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
Where are the pictures and the trip report??????

Already getting notifications to be more "gentle"..?? smile

#142817 - 12/05/10 04:01 PM Re: First trip, 4 days, Shenandoah [Re: Richardvg03]
Red Spruce Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Yes, pictures please!!! I live in Northern VA and we go out to the Shenandoah all the time. Actually, there is far more than just that here in VA. I love all the places here but usually the farther west you go in the state the less crowded things are on trails. My favorite tho is Monongahela National Forest in eastern West Virginia, in specifically Dolly Sods / Roaring Plains / Bear Rocks, Spruce mountain including spruce knob... etc. Trust me when I say, if you think the Shenandoah are beautiful, the Allegheny's, especially the Dolly Sods area will blow your mind. Look forward to hearing more about your trip and seeing some photos! I guess I never really think much about any of the stuff out here being a "destination" because I live so close to it and visit it all the time.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum