Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137444 - 08/09/10 02:06 PM Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money
humblefan Offline

Looking for a sleeping bag upgrade for the the current army 5 piece kit. Something light but durable without breaking the bank. So with that said what are my options?

#137465 - 08/09/10 08:01 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
You may get more exact answers with a more exact question. What is your idea of "light"? For some it's 15oz, for others it's much more. How much money does it take to break the bank? $70? $200? There is a lot of leeway in your question.

You left out one very important requirement: How warm does it have to be? What kind of temps will it be used in?

Are you looking for down or synthetic? IMO down is required to make a bag truly ultralight but others may think differently.

As for durability, it generally rises with weight. Personally I think any bag can be durable with proper care.

As I have written about sleeping bags a few times before:

Light

Cheap

Warm

Pick any two. It's not hard to find a cheap warm bag but it won't be light. Sounds like you have that now. If you want a light warm bag it won't be cheap. And if you want cheap and light it won't be very warm.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#137477 - 08/09/10 10:20 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
Campmor has a down bag that's a good starting place that's a 20 Degree Mummy currently on sale for 119. I've always heard that it's the best starter value for the money. Weighs in at 2lbs 4oz. It will be my next gear piece unless my dutch uncle shows up.

John

#137478 - 08/09/10 10:21 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: orclwzrd]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
oh and it's a really attractive purple!!! at least no one will run off with it...

john
again

#137483 - 08/09/10 11:52 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: orclwzrd]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The only thing is that this bag is more like a 30* bag than its advertised 20*. This is true of most inexpensive sleeping bags.

#137526 - 08/11/10 12:06 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: Trailrunner]
humblefan Offline

My plan is to use this pack within Texas only. So looking for something lightweight thats good to say 50 degrees F, but not too warm to use during the summer, good for keeping the critters out (where I go snakes are a big big issue) and above all light, possibly usable without a pad. Looking for 2lbs or less and very very compact. $200 is my top range but would be glad to get something for less if possible. Looking for typical camping colors of tans, OD green, etc.

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
You may get more exact answers with a more exact question. What is your idea of "light"? For some it's 15oz, for others it's much more. How much money does it take to break the bank? $70? $200? There is a lot of leeway in your question.

You left out one very important requirement: How warm does it have to be? What kind of temps will it be used in?

Are you looking for down or synthetic? IMO down is required to make a bag truly ultralight but others may think differently.

As for durability, it generally rises with weight. Personally I think any bag can be durable with proper care.

As I have written about sleeping bags a few times before:

Light

Cheap

Warm

Pick any two. It's not hard to find a cheap warm bag but it won't be light. Sounds like you have that now. If you want a light warm bag it won't be cheap. And if you want cheap and light it won't be very warm.

Edited by humblefan (08/11/10 12:07 PM)

#137538 - 08/11/10 02:52 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Here is my 3 season "Texas" bag I bought whilst in Texas.
Minaret

It is pretty light, but I bet you could get a better deal and warmer/lighter option with a fleece blanket.

#137541 - 08/11/10 03:43 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: finallyME]
humblefan Offline

Ok after reading a little more (amazing what a little search function does for a newbie right?) I found what I need is an ultralight bivy sack with head shelter. Recommendations ladies and gents?

Maybe start with the REI minimalist bivy then work to the Black Diamond Lightsabre Bivy?

Originally Posted By finallyME
Here is my 3 season "Texas" bag I bought whilst in Texas.
Minaret

It is pretty light, but I bet you could get a better deal and warmer/lighter option with a fleece blanket.

Edited by humblefan (08/11/10 04:07 PM)

#137554 - 08/11/10 09:46 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
For insulation, suggest Marmot Pounder. They make a down version (if you want it to last longer), but the Pounder is cheap (about $100 on sale), light (1lb), and meets your temp requirements.

IRT bivy sacks, my (surplus) military one won't keep bugs/critters out. Saw a neat north face one at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, but it won't help when I roll onto my side - my hips touch.

Steadman

#138034 - 08/25/10 04:43 PM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…for something lightweight thats good to say 50 degrees F, but not too warm to use during the summer,… Looking for 2lbs or less and very very compact. $200 is my top range but would be glad to get something for less if possible.”

1. 13.8oz, 50F, $190 http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2321806
2. 15oz, 45F, $190 (not counting sale) http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm

#2 is my most used bag (actually a quilt)

Make your own down quilt and it should be cheaper.

-Barry

#138044 - 08/26/10 01:30 AM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: BarryP]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Why would you not want to use a pad? You can buy the ubiquitous blue foam pads at virtually any sporting goods store, plus Target or probably Wal-Mart for about $10.

What do you get for $10? A pad that will add comfort to your sleeping, can be used in an emergency to make a leg or arm splint, will add several degrees of warmth to the effective rating of your bag by insulating you from the ground and help keep your bag clean. A bargain at twice the price. For more money, you can get a Ridgerest or Z-Rest. They weigh very little, can be strapped to the outside of your pack or in some packs, be used like a frame.

#138045 - 08/26/10 03:32 AM Re: Best ultralight sleeping bag for the money [Re: humblefan]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By humblefan

Maybe start with the REI minimalist bivy then work to the Black Diamond Lightsabre Bivy?

From the links, it appears that both are sold out.

-If you want a bivy; my recommendation that won't brake the bank, relatively speaking, then take a look at TiGoat.

-You want a 50degree bag that is light and $200-- geez-- this is easy: The Mountain HW Ultralamina +45 degree synthetic bag. Cost is $180.

You do not want a down bag is those humid conditions!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum