Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132119 - 04/15/10 12:22 PM Updating ancient gear lol
Wstrnsky Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
Hello everyone !!! Just joined today and I am very excited to get back into Backpacking after almost a 10 year absence. I am slowly trying to replace my old gear with some newer lighter weight(lol) options. I just recently purchased an Osprey Kestrel 48ltr pack. Fits great and walked around the store with 30 lbs in it for about a half an hour looking at all the new stuff. Happy to be aboard with you all! Happy trails!

#132134 - 04/15/10 04:58 PM Re: Updating ancient gear lol [Re: Wstrnsky]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on lightening your pack and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives. Also tons of links to reviews and other sites.

You are liable to find better gear choices if you do considerable research outside the store. Unfortunately most outdoor stores are strictly interested in loading you down with heavy high-priced gear and a maxed out credit card! The above sites will help you get started.

#133109 - 05/02/10 11:56 AM Re: Updating ancient gear lol [Re: Wstrnsky]
Wild Backpacker Offline

Loc: Utah, USA
Glad to hear you are getting back into backpacking (and updating all your old, heavy gear!). I'm new to this forum as well, but I've been backpacking since I was a kid, which in reality wasn't that long ago. I used to have an Osprey Kestrel 48 and loved it! Awhile ago, however, I sold it to a friend and bought the Arc'teryx Bora, which is very nice too. Good luck getting back into the outdoor scene and I hope to see you posting around here often!

#133117 - 05/02/10 12:38 PM Re: Updating ancient gear lol [Re: Wstrnsky]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
wstrn
welcome.
I was misled and rather excited by the name of your post. I'd like to "update" a lot of my old gear too, but you meant "replace".
I'd just suggest that you camp a lot with your old gear and only add one new item at a time and I always carry the item being replacedon the first trip too just in case the new item doesn't work the way I expected it to.
Jim

#133123 - 05/02/10 03:04 PM Re: Updating ancient gear lol [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'll second that advice about taking the old piece with you on the new one's first trip. I couldn't ever bring myself to replace one thing at a time, though; carrying two sets of gear would be way too heavy, so I always make my first trip of the year a "car camp" where I camp at (or near, say within half a mile) the car, using the new stuff but leaving the old stuff in the car, in case the new doesn't work. An alternative is a two-night trip, leaving old in the car, but looping back by the car early on the second morning so you can switch out whatever didn't work the first night.

In the last two years, I've rotated through a couple of gear changes before settling (I hope) on a set I'll use for a while. I used the car camp/shakedown several times to help with this.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum