Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129174 - 02/19/10 08:29 PM compressed gas and cold
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
On my BP trip with Big foot it may may have dipped below freezing and never got above 35 degrees before we left camp. I was cooking on a compressed gas stove with Primus butane propane mix. The flames got pretty low as I heated about 12 ounces of water. I took the pan off the stove, turned the stove off and picked it up and to my surprise the pine needles under it were frozen to it around the edge. I wiped them off with my towel and set the fuel bottle into the warm water. ( NOTE DO NOT DO THIS IN REALLY HOT OR BOILING WATER) Then I relit the stove which now ran really well and finished my cooking. Perhaps setting it on an insulator would have kept it from chilling as quickly but I don't think so. You just have to get some water warm enough to warm the fuel bottle.
Jim

#129176 - 02/19/10 09:58 PM Re: compressed gas and cold [Re: Jimshaw]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
This happens to me, too. Even when temps are above freezing, things can freeze to the canister (like your fingers -- be careful!) As the canister cools, of course, the inside pressure drops and you get reduced output, so using an upright canister stove in cold weather is sort of a double whammy.

The putting-the-canister-in-water trick goes back a ways, and it only has to be liquid water, it doesn't have to be warm. The water keeps the canister from cooling off too quickly.

The other trick is to take off your gloves, blow on your hands, and wrap them around the canister while the stove is burning. You get an immediate increase in pressure and output. You also get really cold hands.

#129182 - 02/19/10 11:06 PM Re: compressed gas and cold [Re: kbennett]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
kbennet
The problem with keeping it in water is it requires another pan or something to hold the water, and actually the vaporisation point of normal butane is at the freezing point of water, and the water is cooled by the cannisters cooling, so in fact the water does have to not only be warm, it has to be kept warm. (but not real warm)
Jim

#129411 - 02/24/10 12:34 AM Re: compressed gas and cold [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I put the canister inside my coat for 10-15 minutes to warm it up. Then I set it on a piece of CCF pad. I also use a windscreen that goes most (but not all) the way around the canister, which keeps it warm during use. This all worked fine on a couple of 18*F mornings last October, which is the coldest I've used the canister stove.

The main caveat with a windscreen on a canister stove is that you need to check frequently to make sure the canister is not getting too hot. A canister's blowing up from being overheated would definitely not make your day!

If I were going to winter camp a lot and melt snow for drinking water, I'd use a white gas stove like a Whisperlite. It's lots heavier and you have to pump the thing, but it doesn't have the cold weather issues that the isobutane canisters do.

#129536 - 02/26/10 12:25 AM Re: compressed gas and cold [Re: OregonMouse]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
White gas is hands down the way to go in the cold as it puts out some serious heat and is not finicky at all in the cold in my experience. I fall back on my indestructible whisperlite (not literally) for the cold. For whatever reason I also like the roar of the jet engine cranking out the BTU's on a cold morning. smirk

-Skippy

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum