Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121404 - 09/23/09 01:12 PM Newb question about pack size
Subie Love Offline

Loc: Mid-Michigan
hello,

I just have a few questions about packs. I've never been backpacking but I'm really interested and want to have all the necessary equipment to start by early next summer. I know my first step in buying a pack would be go to a store and look at them but I cant seem to find a good outdoors store where i live. I know there is a cabelas but i think thats pretty much it and its over an hour away. Anyway, I'm wondering what is a good size pack to carry. I dont want to be a minimalist but i dont want to carry a 50lb pack either. I was thinking ~4200cm... I'm not really sure how big that is because I've never seen one but that seems like a decent size to carry all the things I need. I'm 21 years old, 6 foot exactly and weight 140lbs. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks! grin

#121405 - 09/23/09 01:49 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The standard answer to what size would be: assemble the gear you will be taking before you buy a pack. The size pack you need will depend somewhat on the space taken up by your gear.

The standard second part of the answer is to take all your gear with you to the store and put it into the pack you are trying on. Because you may not be able to visit a store, the anaolg to this is to order a pack and do this when it arrives. You could get a reasonbable guesstimate ahead of time by putting your gear into a box and measuring the volume of the box.

Getting the right size pack is only half the problem. Getting as good fit is the other half and the more difficult half for some people.

Good luck!

#121406 - 09/23/09 01:49 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You have at least two approaches here. Start with something cheap and make it work for you. After you get an idea of what you really want go look for it. I'd have to recommend this. You can always let a friend borrow your cheap pack once you get the one you really want.

Or, make the drive now to a reputable outfitter and try on packs that you think meet your needs and have the sales person help fit it properly.

I still use an old Peak (Coleman) external frame pack. I wouldn't say I love it, but it hauls my stuff and still has a lifetime warranty. I've modified it a bit to make it fit me better by adding a chest strap. It was on sale for about $70.00 when I bought it. I've used it quite a bit.

I have a buddy that has two Kelty bags he bought back in 1976. He still uses them. Kelty has replaced a few zippers for him over the years, always at no charge. Hard to beat that.

I also have a Peak daypack and a some Jansport day packs that I use a lot. The Jansport bags were on sale for $14.00 at Target so I bought two. I use one of them almost everyday. I also use them for saddle bags on my miniature donkeys when I bring them out. The Jansport bags are really tough. Again, they all have a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps!

Bill

#121411 - 09/23/09 03:18 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: billstephenson]
Subie Love Offline

So, before I really start looking for a pack, I should buy all the equipment that I need? Then see how much stuff i have and get a pack that fits. My problem is I have no idea how much stuff a 3300 cubic in. pack holds compared to a 4500. I plan on doing a few weekend hikes, 2-4 days. Is a 3300 cubic in. pack suitable without being minimal? It just seems like with an internal frame pack, the sleeping bag and tent are going to take up the vast majority of the room. Then I still need clothes, food, etc...

Thanks for the comments! I'm on a pretty tight budget being a broke college student so I want to make sure my first purchase is going to be the right one! I cant afford to rebuy gear. If i could, that would be a great way to find the gear I want! Thanks again!!

#121412 - 09/23/09 04:18 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
It really is better to start out with the rest of the gear and then buy the pack. The space things like tents and sleeping bags take up can vary a lot. Also your size has a lot to do with the size pack you'll need and what will fit you. The climate and the time of year is a factor. Cold weather stuff is a lot bigger than warm weather stuff. Another point is that weight you'll be carrying will affect the type of pack you'll need. BTW Pack size rating is a bit nebulous. Some makers include pockets and extension collars some don't so take the size in the catalog as a starting point. For reference a 5 gallon bucket holds 1150 cubic inches. If you can't find what you want in a local store most good online dealers will let you return a pack you don't like. If they won't shop someplace else.

#121413 - 09/23/09 04:32 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
My problem is I have no idea how much stuff a 3300 cubic in. pack holds

That's why you want to get some gear first. I'm sure you can find a cheap pack to get you started. Put an ad on craigslist and see what pops up in the $20-$40 range.

But start assembling gear now. Use what you've got and scrounge and keep an eye out for bargains. For example, you can make a little pack stove for nearly free (the penny stove), and there are a lot of other tips for free and cheap gear. Search the messages and archives and browse the "Make Your Own Gear!" forum here.

Search for messages by member "jasonklass". He's posted some great articles on how to scrounge and make cheap gear.

I doubt you'll need or want a 4500 cu.in pack. I think mine is about 3300 cu.in. I've managed to stuff over 40 lbs into it and that's really more than I should have been carrying. I've reduced that weight by nearly half since learning and following tips here.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#121416 - 09/23/09 07:22 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Go to the home page of this site and read the articles listed in the left hand column. They will help you a lot with gear selection. Also go to Mark Verber's website for more good info on gear selection, including plenty of low-budget options.

I'd like to reinforce the advice to buy your pack last. Either a too-large pack or a too-small pack (the latter requiring you to tie stuff on the outside) will be off-balance and uncomfortable. In the meantime, rent or borrow.

#121420 - 09/23/09 08:26 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
(Deleted)

Edited by Glenn (09/25/09 09:44 AM)

#121432 - 09/24/09 12:15 AM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Subie,
You mentioned you are a college student on a budget. You might check with your school or surrounding schools and see if they sponsor backpacking trips and have equipment.
If not, perhaps they can hook you up with someone experienced in the world of backpacking.
I know that our local university does offer this to students.

T

Edited by Tango61 (09/24/09 12:15 AM)

#121462 - 09/24/09 09:56 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Tango61]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Along with all these other good suggestions, keep in mind that pack size and weight are not necessarily related. Winter gear for example, is bulky, but not necessarily heavy, things like parka, insulated pants. extra gloves, hats, etc.

Minimal is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are happy with a tarp and a quilt, soda can stove and not much else. Others want a tent, sleeping bag, gas stove of some kind, cooking gear and other comforts. This is why we recommend getting your gear first.

However, if there isn't a store near you, this is a challenge. You can buy online from REI and send back whatever you buy if it turns out not to fit or isn't big enough or any other reason, for that matter.

Used gear or renting at first is a good idea, but it helps if you know what you are looking at. Not all used packs are bargains, some will be just cheap, not well made to begin with and may not last long or fit right.

For used gear, I would stick to brand names and you can get plenty of advice here if you come across something you don't know anything about.

#121481 - 09/25/09 10:45 AM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: TomD]
Subie Love Offline

Thank you everyone! I took billstephenson's advice and I threw up a post on craigslist to see if i could get some kind of pack for about $30, just to get me somewhat familiar with packs and to see what I like and dont like about it. I will most definately not buy another until I have the gear that i want.

I will check out my school and see if they offer anything to backpackers, it wouldnt surprise me if they did. It's just a community college but its the best in the area.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will keep posting as I get all my gear and such. You'll see me around wink

#121482 - 09/25/09 11:15 AM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Subie Love]
Glenn Offline

I have a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 that you can have (check it out on www.deuterusa.com.) It's only been used a couple of times, and it is adjustable for various torso lengths. I've also got a Snow Peak Gigapower stove and Mini-solo cookset you're welcome to have, along with a Thermarest Prolite 3/4-length sleeping pad. They're all in nearly new shape.

I'm not trying to sell them; I've simply accumulated more gear than I can use, and would like to see it gathering trail dust rather than basement dust. It would be a way to get you jump-started with some decent, fairly lightweight gear, and let you use the funds you do have available to perhaps buy a better quality tent or sleeping bag than you otherwise might be able to. (Look at REI-brand tents and down sleeping bags - they're not the lightest, but they're reasonably light and of decent quality, and a good value for the price.)

If you want any or all of this gear, send me a private mail with your mailing address, and I'll send it along.

#121484 - 09/25/09 12:26 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
I have a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 that you can have...<snip>... I've simply accumulated more gear than I can use, and would like to see it gathering trail dust...

Glenn, you are awesome!

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#121488 - 09/25/09 02:19 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Not actually. I just can't seem to get it right... wink

Of course, my wife doesn't understand. It probably doesn't help that our exchanges go something like this:

Me: I just got a new whatsis.

Her: More camping gear?! And just how do you intend to pay for it?!

Me: Oh, I just thought I'd take a little bit out of that special savings account you have.

Her: What special savings account?

Me: You know, the one you keep adding to, when you go shopping and come home and tell me, "Guess how much I saved?"

Her: It's a good thing you've got a tent, and there's a flat spot in the back yard.

And so it goes.

#121491 - 09/25/09 04:24 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Glenn]
Subie Love Offline

WOW! Glenn, I pm'ed you! I cant thank you enough! lol awesome

#121495 - 09/25/09 04:34 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
You know, the one you keep adding to, when you go shopping and come home and tell me, "Guess how much I saved?"

grin Oh man, now that is a classic line... and your timing couldn't have been better. I have some boat parts I need and my wife is out shopping wink

Thanks!

"You want to go where?"

#121496 - 09/25/09 04:38 PM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Glad to help. Us old married guys have to stick together, or we'll get outwitted. (My wife says she has all her wits about her, which means I'm outnumbered two-to-one.)

#124042 - 11/19/09 06:47 AM Re: Newb question about pack size [Re: TomD]
Gensterblum Offline

Loc: Michigan/Georgia
Also, there are outdoor stores in Lansing and Grand Rapids...Especially around 28th St in GR, West Saginaw in Lansing, and Frandor. If that's the area of Mid-Michigan you're in...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum