Hello everyone. I've done lots of reading here, and have already changed my trip plans. Also, I've changed my gear list, for example crossing out rain jacket/pants for poncho. I would LOVE to do trips at some of the weights I've heard that you guys carry. Some bio 'bout me: 62, male, divorced. Did heavy packing in my 40's, with a 6 or 7 pound REI pack, camp chair, thermarest pad, huge Rambo-style survival knife that I never used, and a huge selection of stuff that I sometimes used. Weights would be around 60 pounds. In 2004, at age 58 I took a trip with a well-known elitist group that didn't offer much advice, and it was too strenuous for me. When I got home I suffered a heart attack that I thought was a virus from drinking contaminated water, so I never went for medical help, just stayed home for 6 weeks (3 of them in bed). I haven't been the same since. To be fair, the over-exertion was just PART of the cause of my MI (myocardial infarction). I was overweight, and I had untreated hypertension and high cholesterol. AND I didn't think the trip through - I just went because there was a woman I liked going on the trip, and well, that's another story. In short, I was stupid.
I've been cleared for any activity by my cardiologist. He said I'll discover my limits. This forum, however, in particular Pika, has helped me realize that I'm at it again, enthused and going, rather than enthused and thinking. That thinking thing is a big pain. Whatever happened to "just do it"??? I digress. And I kid a lot. Okay, so I also have a history of lower back problems. Therefore I want to have a pack that is on the light side, but comfortable and adjustable. Here's what I have got in my head so far about gear:
Buy a backpack - Gregory Z65, and its matching rain cover, 4 lbs, 7 oz.
Use my Sierra Designs Transition 10F, ~3 lbs. Down bag.
Use my Golight 2 man tarp - don't have a digital scale, but I think it's between one and two pounds.
No lights. Use the stars, moon for light, and go to bed at dark.
Make a Heineken alcohol stove. I have an MSR Pocket Rocket, but had thought of making a 2-can wood gassifier stove and a pot windscreen, for main stove. About 6 ounces.
Buy a titanium pot w/lid (Snow Peak Trek 900), 6 ounces and a 2-wall plastic cup for my coffee, 6 oz. Or maybe something light and wrap a sock around it for heat retention. Love my coffee. Packing light is okay if I bring coffee. And a honey bear. And instant milk. For the coffee. Non-negotiable items there. On my last trip I had instant goat's milk. It was... interesting. Oh... buy and bring an in-the-cup coffee filter.
Buy a widemouth semi-rigid Nalgene 32 oz bottle for washing my special washcloth that I have to use every day on a certain part of my body for a medical reason. Insert washcloth, few drops of camp suds, screw cap on, shake don't stir, change water (no soap) for rinse. Rinse again. Sorry, hope it wasn't too many details. Gotta keep it clean. Otherwise it's a pain in the rear. (well, THAT let the cat out of the bag.) I want to use a bottle 'cause i don't want to carry a sink. Nuff said maybe.
Buy a 2.5 gallon gravity water filter, the Katadyn Base Camp Filter, with a replacement filter, and carry both. ~1 lb, 9 oz. It's heavy, but there are no moving parts. I can't survive without water. I need the large amount of water for the washing business (might as well take a sponge bath, too, separate washcloth), plus to refill the hydration bladder. I do have a 3L hydration bladder. I walk daily with it in my small Gregory day pack. Don't know what it weighs. Thought I's bring my water bag, too, for extended in-camp cooking of supper.

Buy and bring a wild foods book.
Bring a sheet of plastic for ground cloth. Use local conditions and materials to make a soft litter for sleep. Use an extra piece of clothing, or a corner of the pack for pillow.
I alternate sides to sleep on during the night. Left side, right side... you get the idea. Sometimes right side, left side.
Haven't made the list of other things yet: rope and sack for PCT bear hang, tapes for repairs/wounds, stove fuel, food containers (ziplocks and hang sack). Oh, yeah, food.
I don't need to bring a chair, table, or radio.
I have a GPS and a good compass, but it's the eTrex basic. I haven't worked out navigation yet.
Thought I'd bring a knots book, a flask of Bombay Sapphire, a lighter and matches in w/p cylinder.
on my body, i'll wear clothes and my New Balance walking sneakers... An OR sunhat. I'll buy a really good pair of sunglasses, about $155. Oakley something. Bring an extra t-shirt and underpants, a 2nd pair of socks, No sticks. A heavy fleece shirt for night (3-season), and 2 long sleeve shirts for over the t-shirt. Swimsuit that can double as shorts. Light weight long pants. Haven't figured what kind of pants yet. I have jeans, and that won't work. swimsuit has mesh liner that won't allow thermal pants. maybe i'll ditch the swimsuit for shorts so i can use thermal pants and look like a dork, or maybe just mental.
Parachute cord (3/16") for tarp ridgeline and hang sack. Real light cord for tarp stakes. Tarp stakes. Camp suds. I'll use my long sleeve shirt for towel.
And THAT is as far as I've gotten.
I would like to hear feedback on the list, and also on the kind of weight range you guys think I could aim for. Also, what have I missed that you would recommend?
As for my multi-months trip, that is still in my plans, but now i'm thinking November 1st to start, and probably I'll take the AT south, then head west. I'd like to go across the country, then head north up the PCT, and come back across the country on the northern leg of the - what's it called - well it goes from Portland OR to northern Montana. I guess I'd be getting there next year. You're probably thinking - "say what???" Well, sanity isn't my strong point, but i'm retired and don't want to sit in some little rental house in front of the damn computer (don't own a tv) all the time. it's a good way to rot to death. so social security gives me a little... enough to become a nomad and be comfortable, but not enough to rent a little house and be comfortable. Finances aren't my strong suit either. "Well, what IS your strong suit?" you ask... I'm still workin on that, get back to ya soon. Being different, maybe. <heads are nodding> Humor maybe.
But before I do the long trip, in this next four months I'll increase my walking time of daily 30-45 walks to daily one hour minimum, with a couple longer walks during the week. Probably a weekly half-day or longer walk, and then work in a couple one-week packing trips. I won't be walking long distances. For me the enjoyment of hiking/camping is just being out there. Away for *&(^(*&*^ car noises! (I hate cars, machines, the whole industrial age thing... Wish I'd been born an American instead of a conquering European... but don't get me started on murder and mayhem... just let me say that TO ME, an American is what everyone calls Indians, or I guess Native Americans. <deep breathing> Okay, I'm better now. Sorry 'bout that.) Where was I? Oh, yeah, so I'll test out what I learn here, out THERE. Oh, get this... I live 2.0 miles from the Jay Mountain Wilderness! That's in upstate NY. Are you jealous???? You should be! I have a big landowner's permission to cross a piece of his property to get to it. There's the Kelly Basin right behind my cabin!! The fellow told me he can see Lake Champlain, Canada, and Vermont from up there.
I hope I can make my first little foray into the area for a weekend trip in a month and a half, do some tuning, then make the first week long trip after that, and a final week-long trip in early October.

Sorry 'bout the long post. I like to write.

Okay,there ya go. I do appreciate this forum, thanks for any input anyone might give. I've seen some great humor here, too, besides the good advice and sharing back and forth. I have had some good laughing-out-loud experiences, especially while reading a post from some guy explaining how to hang a food bag from a tree. That was a great post. Hilarious, really. I THINK it was this forum...

Pat-trick