Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182683 - 02/10/14 12:07 AM really really really light camping
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
If told you that I take off for the Three Sisters Wilderness carrying about 5 pounds of gear, you would probably think I had joined Ray and was using a newspaper for a ground cloth and sleeping bag. I moved to Bend Oregon which is at 3,800 feet in the central Cascades in Central Oregon and that has dramatically affected my wilderness time.

Recently we went on a backpack trip, set up the tents, hung out, hiked around, ate dinner, took down the tents and went home, which took 2 more hours, and slept in our beds with our dogs at our feet. grin

Now consider the paragraph above closely before dismissing it. We live so close to the mountains and have so much responsibility at home that getting away for a night is almost impossible. But the above trip only lacked 3 features of a "standard" trip; we didn't spend the night on the mountain so we didn't have sleeping bags, pads, pillows or med kits. We didn't eat breakfast so we didn't carry it and we didn't need water for breakfast, AND We had really light packs - tent, sandwich, water bottle, and um legal recreational materials.

We had a few of the generic 10 essentials, some of which come in handy and some of which are an anachronism. Like compasses. Get a GPS, like does your telephone have a rotary dial or do you play 45 rpm ecords? No - well thats about how useful a map and compass is to most people or to everybody currently lost because the rule of compass navigation is "never get lost".

Anyway now that I live in the forest at 3,800 on a lava flow in the Cascades, I have adopted the local clothing. Cotton sweat pants, cotton hoody, cotton tee shirt, sorel boots and a cotton overcoat with a hood and wool lining. Frankly this is a desert - its pretty dry. Why spend the money on delcate camping fabrics? So since I dress this way at home, I also dress this way when I take the dogs for a walk on the mountain, or hike in for an afternoon, or kayak for that matter. Its not so much that "familiarity breeds contempt" so much as "familiarity means you know exactly what you will need". If I go skiing I wear fancy expensive clothes, or if do something that requires special equipment, I take it, but as I get a bit older I feel less compelled to don my patagonia stuff for a walk to the mail box.
Jim grin

#182690 - 02/10/14 02:38 AM Re: really really really light camping [Re: Jimshaw]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Nothing like a good day outdoors!
I don't hike in and hang out for a day, but I ride my horses almost everyday in the park next to my stables...:)
Dee

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum