Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165365 - 04/26/12 07:53 PM New definition of "over the hill"
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You are over the hill when it takes you longer to descend 5000 feet than go up 5000 feet! And, you are over the hill when you can score a campground at Camp4 in Yosemite for $2.50 a night with your senior pass.

#165366 - 04/26/12 08:15 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: wandering_daisy]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I am assuming that you heard this new definiton while darting past some young bucks out there on those Sierras trails, when one of them turned to the other and said, "Cripes! Was that a roadrunner?" And his partner said, "No, it was this awesome amazing hiker! But don't bother looking for her any more,; she's already over the next hill by now."

I guess that would mean that from your POV, they were over the hill, too, but behind you. wink

#165368 - 04/26/12 09:04 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

#165382 - 04/27/12 11:34 AM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: aimless]
wandering_daisy Offline

I may do fine going uphill, but I creep down hills heavily leaning on my trekking poles. I watch youngsters run downhills and only wish I could convince them that if they want to save knees for old age hiking they need to slow down. But then, nobody could have told me that when I was in my 20's!

It has been a mental barrier to me to add an extra "elevation factor" in my trip planning for elevation loss as well as elevationn gain.

#165391 - 04/27/12 12:45 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

I'm also very slow downhill. If it's really steep, probably slower than uphill!

#165397 - 04/27/12 05:06 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm also slower downhill nowadays. I prefer to attribute it to the heightened awareness of the beauty of my surroundings created by the good judgment maturity brings. smile

#165399 - 04/27/12 05:14 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Glenn:
lol

We all know that fine wine improves with age, right?

#165461 - 04/29/12 11:42 AM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
As a wine expert, I need to clarify this. Not all wine improves with age. Some just gets older and nastier.

I just took a rock climbing course with REI. And since I am pushing sixty, I was worried that I might not be able to keep up with the rest of the group--most of whom were half my age and had experience in climbing gyms. I didn't do too badly, but I was surprised about two things.

1. I seemed to focus more on finding an easier route, rather than powering up things. Which isn't to say that I kept up with them...but I was surprised at how willing they were to simply power up over a stretch. Impressive!

2. I didn't feel as if I lacked the strength to do any of the moves ( although arthritis made me think about a few things) but I was surprised that sometimes a lack of flexibility hindered my options.

More yoga!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165468 - 04/29/12 04:05 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
In climbing, flexibility is often far more important than sheer strength.

#165485 - 04/29/12 11:41 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Exactly! Iknew where I wanted to put my foot--I just couldn't get it there!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165705 - 05/07/12 04:22 PM Re: New definition of "over the hill" [Re: oldranger]
wandering_daisy Offline

The best climbers need it all - power, balance, agility, focus, endurance, natural physical ability AND brains- a apptitude to figure out the route like working a puzzle. Also guts (that is where I was not up to par.) Strength however is not brute strength, but strength per weight. You have to have the strength to get your body up the rock, never mind that 220 pound neanderthal climbing next to you. Lyn Hill is a tiny woman and at one time was about the best climber in the world. SO, the ability to keep climbing as you get old requires you to keep your body weight down. The loss of strength with age is bad enough, but add dead weight to that, and it is all over.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum