Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154748 - 09/16/11 05:35 PM Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy?
daryn Offline

Hi again,
I am now on a quest for an inexpensive way to get a waterproof shell. Been going to thrift stores and scored a fantastic Outdoor Research Goretex "Seatle Sombrero" virtually brand new for only 3 bucks! Love my new hat. No luck so far on a waterproof shell, although I find lots of nylon coats/jackets of one kind or another.
So... here are my questions- What's the best brand to look for a waterproof shell/liner type coat? Is it possible to get a nylon coat and spray a sealant product on it and get a better result?
Thanks all!
Oh- In my thrift store seeking I happened to find a North Face Heli Vest with the bladder and in good shape. It's up on the bay if anyone's looking for one. I don't quite get why they are so desirable, but they are priced high.
Hope it's ok to mention this here.

#154766 - 09/17/11 08:08 AM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: daryn]
lori Offline

I have three or four rain jackets. Still trying to find one that breathes. Rain jackets are sweat boxes if temps are not so cold; if I'm hiking and it's 50F or higher, I typically wear a poncho, or no rain gear at all. Otherwise I'm sweating so much I wet out my clothes anyway and who needs that.

PU coated jackets don't breathe at all, Goretex hardly at all - pit zips are better than most of the fabrics readily available in terms of preventing my inevitable wetness.

Lately I've started using an umbrella. It works for me pretty well in a lot of places. Probably not a great idea where there is a lot of wind (Mary Poppins I am not) and definitely not for bushwackery, but it's been pretty useful overall against sun and rain.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#154767 - 09/17/11 12:00 PM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: lori]
daryn Offline

Thanks Lori,
It happened that right before or after I posted this question that there were posts about waterproofing on the forum in other places. They mentioned the spray silicone waterproofing product "Waterguard", I have a can of it and will test it on my old no longer waterproof jacket. The product claims to let the fabric breath. We'll see. My jacket was a Colombia, but it's been washed so many times it's not even water resistant now.
I will have to look up "pit zips".
ATB

edit- got it! vents in the armpit area which zip open to vent or breath.

Edited by daryn (09/17/11 12:02 PM)

#154769 - 09/17/11 12:52 PM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: daryn]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with Lori. A good rainsuit keeps the rain out. And if you are sitting still, that's great. If you are hiking, it quickly turns into a sauna. Let's see....dripping with sweat, or dripping with rain?

I wait a bit before I ever get out my rain jacket...just because I know that I will dry quickly in my clothes, so I am willing to get a little damp.

And when I DO put it on, I slow WAY down, and try to keep my heart rate slower....so I don't sweat the thing up.

And it never works.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#154838 - 09/19/11 03:53 AM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: balzaccom]
daryn Offline

I sprayed a good coating of "waterguard" on my old Columbia shell last night. We'll see if it helps. I had about a half of a can left and used it all on the jacket.
Where I live is at 7,000 feet. Where I hike is at 8,000 to 9 or 10 for now. (close by) Temperatures are generally cool enough to not sweat to death or warm enough to take the jacket off and tie it to the pack in the summer. As I mentioned, I found out my shell was no longer waterproof when it rained and then hailed on me about 3 weeks ago.
ty

#155054 - 09/25/11 12:27 AM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: daryn]
daryn Offline

Found a Marmot Oracle jacket with vent pits in a Goodwill store for 5 bucks!!! cool cool smile Pretty good condition too. It looks like it wasn't washed to death like my Columbia shell. So, I guess I should go out in the yard and have the wife hose me down.... crazy wink

#159679 - 01/05/12 02:42 PM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: daryn]
rm56 Offline

Loc: Northern CA, Placer co.
So, I guess I should go out in the yard and have the wife hose me down....
She'll like that! LOL

#161818 - 02/07/12 11:35 AM Re: Best way to get "waterproof"? Brand or diy? [Re: daryn]
ConnieD Offline

Loc: Montana
I look for jackets, or parkas, that have waterproof zippers and no flaps so there is no place for rainwater to collect. I prefer taped seams but silicone sealed seams can be effective.

I like DWR because it is the most practical and breatheable, plus DWR is renewable with McNett or Nikwax spray-on or wash-in products.

If you can purchase a DWR jacket that suits you, do it.

If not, DIY may be feasable on a suitable nylon-fabric jacket.

Here is a link to my DIY/MYOG page to fabrics and patterns for backpacking clothing and gear.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum