Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129298 - 02/22/10 10:03 AM Hello
wally59 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Good morning,

I am new to the forum and naturally gravitated to the almost over the crowd as I will be 51 in July. Coincidently, I am planning a 4-5 day trip on the Superior Hiking Trail with my 17 year old son for that month. Just wanted to let you guys and gals know that I appreciate the collective wisdom that is out there on backpacking and camping. Although I have spent a lot of time in the outdoors fishing, hunting, motorcycling etc. this will be my first extended backpacking trip. I won't ask for any specific suggestions on this thread, but will continue to read your posts as I prepare for July. ps- there is a little state park near my house that I frequent often, and if I gotta lay down somewhere when my time has come it would be as good a place as any. Cheers.

#129304 - 02/22/10 12:55 PM Re: Hello [Re: wally59]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Welcome. My mom is from MN. She came out to CA after High School, she got tired of the cold and helping take care of the siblings as she was the oldest. Enjoy your trip.

#129314 - 02/22/10 01:44 PM Re: Hello [Re: wally59]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
51 - a mere stripling!

Welcome. Sounds like a good trip with your son. If you enjoy that trail, head on out into the lake and spend 4 or 5 days on Isle Royale. That's probably the most magnificent place I've ever been; I can hardly wait to visit for a third time.

#129316 - 02/22/10 02:00 PM Re: Hello [Re: Glenn]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
What gear are you planning on using? The backyard or that park if it is real close is a good place to try out gear if it doesn't work bail, get in the car and come home. Ultralite is nice but and a big but is is costly and how much comfort do you want to give. Check out freezer bag cooking, using items from the grocery store. Test your sleeping gear are you comfortable? a multi-day trip should not be a test of sleep depredation. Good luck.

#129323 - 02/22/10 02:27 PM Re: Hello [Re: Bobc]
wally59 Offline

Thanks for the welcome. hikerduane I don't blame your mom for seeking warmer temps--it can get pretty cold up this way.

Glenn, I don't know if I will make it to the Isle this year, but I have been told it is a truly remarkable place.

Bobc, your advice is great. We are planning a test weekend of all the equipment at Afton State Park in early May. It is a beautiful little hikers park on the St. Croix River and is only miles from my house. I have done quite a bit of day hiking there, but I want to get an idea of how carrying full packs with all the gear will work. Thus far my gear list is a hodge podge of a lot of items we already have at home. I have a fairly lightweight two man tent and sleeping bags. I will need sleeping pads so any advice on good ones will be appreciated. The biggest expenditures for us will be the packs as I only have two small Kelty day packs now. the other major cost for us will be if I decide to invest in a stove, or if I am going to risk using a small alcohol stove I made. Any advice anyone?

#129329 - 02/22/10 03:07 PM Re: Hello [Re: wally59]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
In July, an alcohol stove will probably work fine. However, if pack weight is an issue, you might find that a small canister stove will save some weight. Whether it will or not depends on how much fuel you'll be using: if you're only boiling a couple cups of water for supper, the canister might be lighter. However, if you're cooking 3 hot meals a day, and planning on cocoa in the evening, and a hot wash-up each night, to the point that you'll need two or three canisters, the alcohol stove and fuel will probably be lighter.

I've used both; in the summer, it really doesn't seem to matter a whole lot which you use.

For pads, you have two choices: closed cell foam or inflatable. The easy, safe default is Thermarest: the Ridgerest (closed cell) or any of the self-inflating models. (You could also use an REI-brand Thermarest clone and save some money.) The Prolite Plus series is really nice and pretty light, but pricey; they have some other "trail" models that are less expensive, but heavier. For summer, a three-quarters length pad (48 inches) is usually long enough; put your empty pack or some clothes under your lower legs and feet.

There are other pad choices out there, too - I'm sure others will jump in to recommend them. (For what it's worth, my current pad of choice is a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad.)

Edited by Glenn (02/22/10 03:13 PM)

#130387 - 03/09/10 06:02 PM Re: Hello [Re: wally59]
Randy Offline

Loc: MN, USA
I may see you on the trail! I am just a year younger than you, live in MN and will be doing a few trips to the SHT this summer also. I did a couple of sections last year and had a great time. Do you know what sections you plan to do?

I journal all of my trip reports online with notes, pics and GPS coords. PM me if interested and I'll send a link.(not sure what the rules are here about links to external sites...)

Like many have said, getting my pack weight down had allowed me to start backpacking again. I also thought my trail days were over. I remember carrying a 70 lb pack when I was a kid. That would kill me now. My base weight is down to 13 pounds!!

Take care.

#130390 - 03/09/10 06:57 PM Re: Hello [Re: Randy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Trip reports--we love 'em! To the best of my knowledge (mods, please scream if I'm wrong!), no problem with links unless you are trying to sell something. I link to my trip reports too, because I post them on a local hiking forum and don't want to go through the agony of posting photos (different on every forum) more than once.

If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site. There are lots of ways to lighten your load without spending a fortune!

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. You'll find, in addition to the latest technology, low-budget alternatives and links to low-budget gear lists.

#130403 - 03/09/10 10:53 PM Re: Hello [Re: Randy]
wally59 Offline

Randy,

Good to hear from you I haven't pinpointed what part of the trail yet. I first thought about beginning in Two Harbors and heading north as far as I think I can travel, but I've spoken to a few people who have said around the area around Grand Marais is some of the best scenery. I'm wide open. I'm open to suggestions so anything you have on the trail would be great. Thanks.

#130499 - 03/11/10 12:22 AM Re: Hello [Re: wally59]
Randy Offline

Loc: MN, USA
I PM'd but since it looks like I can link to external trip reports, here is some info on SHT hikes that I did last year, and a trip I did with my son and daughter to Kings Canyon National Park. My hiking trips

The SHT is a great trail and should be a fantastic experience with your son.

I would recommend limiting the miles each day, explore the shorter 'spur' trails that lead to really great views, and enjoy the trip!!

I used the Superior Hiking Shuttle for transportation. I parked my truck at my exit point and took the shuttle to my starting point.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum