Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183490 - 03/03/14 09:22 PM Older, more firsts
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
At 57? did a night snow camp trip in the Echo Lakes area of Kalifornia New Year's Eve. Started while it was still light out, but snowshoed until 8 or so. Solo, did not meet up with my friend until the next AM. Remember that trip?

At 58, did my highest mileage day, with some fast packing, 22 miles along the PCT, my second day out on a two night, three day bp trip.

At 60 last weekend, started a bp trip in a light rain, after dark, starting about 7:30PM after working all day, over two hour drive home and repacking my pack for current conditions, no dinner yet, setting up my shelter with a flashlight, eating dinner finally at about 8:30 as I only hiked thru the light snow cover a little over a mile, keeping intact, my record for at least one bp trip every month of the year for 3 out of the last 4 years. Never eaten that late out before either.
Glutton for punishment? smile
Duane

#183498 - 03/04/14 09:31 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I feel I get better and better every year, I don't know if it's because I think more about how I pack or if it's just more mental stamina.

#183516 - 03/04/14 03:03 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: rockchucker22]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You Rock! Keep getting out there.

We are hoping that in the next year or two we'll have even more time to backpack...and maybe do some more first.

Actually last year we did our first real East to West backpack across the Sierra through Jack Main Canyon...starting in Leavitt Meadow and coming out at Hetch-hetchy
And we're older than you!

Edited by balzaccom (03/04/14 03:03 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#183524 - 03/04/14 04:13 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
60? Just turned? Happy birthday, young sprout! I'm 18 years ahead of you (and, unfortunately, slowing down a bit).

In 2 more years you get to buy the Senior (formerly Golden Age) pass and save yourself some money!

#183528 - 03/04/14 08:34 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Thank you OM. I've slowed some, but not giving up yet. Trying to see if I can get with some others to do the JMT, their pace may be slower than mine, but they plan on some layover days and may take up more vacation days than I want to use at one time. I'd just push on thru, but with a small group, it would be more interesting to hang out a little. I think the SHR would do me in, just wish those darn mountains weren't so hilly, I'd love the challenge. I know folks at the Ross Ranch next to MTR, so I could get resupplied free, at least for one drop.
Duane

#183533 - 03/05/14 06:03 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I'm 18 years ahead of you (and, unfortunately, slowing down a bit).

I will turn 74 this year and I can really tell that I am slowing down. I have converted to metric hiking. Saying that I hiked 10 K sounds much better than saying I hiked 6 mi. The big advantage of getting older is that it becomes less important to prove things. If I go half as far and half as hard it is OK. Another thing which has changed is that I no longer spend as much time on logistics. Hiking in for 3 days and then turning around and hiking back out on the same trail eliminates car spotting or getting transportation and it is just fine.

#183535 - 03/05/14 08:55 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: GrumpyGord]
hikerduane Offline

Logistics, that is one less thing I'll have to worry about when I retire, not having to make it back by a certain day, just pack enough food and fuel to stay as long as I want, go where I want, taking an extra day or whatever. Going out in mid Spring to catch the last of the snow in Yosemite or wherever. smile
Duane

#183846 - 03/14/14 11:59 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
I think the SHR would do me in, just wish those darn mountains weren't so hilly, I'd love the challenge.

Duane, how about just 3/5ths of it. Start at Reds meadows and come out Onion Valley. Don't worry missing the JMT experience as when you are on trail its crowded and friendly. It could be a good year for me to go through the Keyhole into Evolution basin. 6 days...or 7. You could do it!!! Shoot maybe I'll go with you. Talk Tyson into it and call it 3 on the permit wink I'm 57 btw. I'll bring the scotch

#183853 - 03/14/14 11:19 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

That would be neat to do. I was snow camping last weekend with a younger friend, who wants to do a summer trip with me and his gf. But, he keeps changing his mind on where he wants to go. One second, MT, next WY, now he's talking either the SHR or part of the JMT, I don't think he could get that much time off from work. Some confuse the SHR with the HSR. He was talking abut ID also. Can't really research trips if the destination keeps changing.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane (03/14/14 11:19 PM)

#183863 - 03/15/14 01:28 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Well, I'm serious about this if you are up for it. I know you have some other things in the works though...so no worries either way. The off trail section between Horse Heaven Meadow and the Mono Cr. drainage is a little challanging but reeeeaaaalllly cool. Worth the 3rd classing for sure. I was surprised to see so much traffic on the section between Reds Meadows and Blue lake. Apparently that is a really popular section now. The Southern 3 did not seem to be as heavily traveled as that. That is one thing about guide books, that they have a tendency to open up the flood gates.

But I digress. I'd love to do these three Southern sections again. If Tyson (or you) want you could meet me at Piute Pass, or join me to start at Reds Meadows. PM me if your interested.

Oh, I'm cool with just the 2 of us too; that way I'm the youngest laugh .

Edited by skcreidc (03/15/14 01:36 PM)

#183867 - 03/15/14 03:57 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I have some old books a neighbor gave me over 20 years ago, some old book by a Roper guy in amongnst them, "Timberline Country", The Sierra High Route. 1982. smile
My young friend is talking about two trips, one of which I would go on if I had any info. After last weekend, I figure I better make my own plans for the summer. When are you talking about such a trip and how many days? I can't put in for time off at work until maybe June, not sure.
Duane

#183871 - 03/15/14 05:53 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Great Duane!!! So first of all, do you think you can manage 18-20 mi per day pace? In June and July we'll have from around 5:45 to 20:00 min. So over 14 hours a day, and keeping that in mind the pace is not as bad as it sounds. I guess the bottom line is what are you up for? We don't have to do the southern 3...we could do any part we want to do. For instance, it might be nice to NOT do the burned section just out of Reds Meadows, although if we leave early in the am it will not be as hot as when I went thru. I think there is another trail head into Duck lake that we could jump on instead and miss the zoo that is Reds Meadows (although it is fun to people watch there). Timing wise I think earlier is better than later, ESPECIALLY this year. Fires could be a problem obviously. I need to look it up, but Kings Canyon to Onion Valley is something like another 15 miles added on to about 115 miles that makes up the southern 3 sections. I'll pm you later.

#183874 - 03/15/14 09:22 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

That's hard enough on trail, let alone XC. I'd have to train harder than I have for years then to get in shape. I've been wanting to train a little harder then I have, riding more on my mt bike in-between running days. No bear can needed.
Duane

#183875 - 03/15/14 11:38 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

I think you are right...no bear can needed (hoooray). PM'd you. Give me your phone # and lets talk. I'm really flexible about how many sections we do, but I can probably only spend 9 days max on this trip (Sat to Sun). Lets just go as light as reasonably possible smile . That would make it about 15 mile days to do the 3 southern sections.

Edited by skcreidc (03/16/14 12:05 AM)

#183879 - 03/16/14 11:33 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

15 mile days, I could do that with enough calorie and water intake. Solo, I tend to not take enough breaks or food, water. The first day out is when I might get vertigo, short rest then may fix that.
Duane

#183883 - 03/16/14 04:11 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Shoot, the first day I might get vertigo. I think we have an accord thanks and the makings of a trip plan. Good to talk to you this morning, Duane. I'll be in touch soon.

Chris

#183895 - 03/17/14 11:02 AM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

Have not heard from Tyson on this, did get a reply on a personal email on another topic.
Duane

#183899 - 03/17/14 12:46 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm in! Where, when?

#183900 - 03/17/14 12:53 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: rockchucker22]
skcreidc Offline

Dude!!! l Just PM'd you! Man your FAST! Obviously, you'll be great on this trip...

How does 9 days of 15 mi/day on the southern 3 sections of Ropers high Route in mid July sound to you? Maybe mid June might be better...but I'm not sure about that early yet.

Chris

Edited by skcreidc (03/17/14 01:05 PM)

#183902 - 03/17/14 01:58 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I need to know asap when this is on for the date. I'll need to check the dept. calendar to see if any time in June is available, mid July might be good, early August would be tight due to one lady has her birthday, I've usually had no issue late July into early August, but the other conflict I had at that time has passed away. frown
Duane

#183904 - 03/17/14 02:48 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Mid July is fine with me. Lets go with that and you can email or PM me exactly when is good for you. With the 3 of us, we will then "design" a trip around the time/distance constraints as we see fit. I'm reading Tyson as he is in, just tell him where to show up....Hopefully he will let us know any time constraints ASAP so you can lock your time off down. I'm somewhat flexiable on start time as I am self employed. It's more the length of time that can be an issue.

#183906 - 03/17/14 03:56 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

Sounds good Chris, just have to navigate the new electronic vacation request thingie at work when the time comes to be able to do so. Now where's those Lucky Charms so I can start training by eating right?
Duane

#183932 - 03/18/14 09:31 PM Re: Older, more firsts [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Well, its going to be another first if all three of us make it to this shindig. I'm looking forward to it!! I'm guessing our combined age is.....well.......hoo boy maybe I won't.

Quote:
Now where's those Lucky Charms so I can start training by eating right?

Now don't be giving away our training secrets Duane!!!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum