Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165579 - 05/02/12 01:17 PM "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
This isn't a book but a movie review -- really more like a brief suggestion.

Emilio Estevez, son of Martin Sheen, collaborated with his father to make this movie about four very different people who hike the pilgrimage trail from the French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela on the famous Camino de Santiago. It's a great little movie that, if you missed it at the theater in late 2011, is now on Netflix and DVD.

The four hikers on the trail in Spain; they're from Holland, Canada, Ireland and the US.

Martin Sheen, whose father was from Spain (and mother from Ireland) had always wanted to do this trail, and was the one who prodded Emilio into writing, directing and producing the film with the elder in the lead role. (Emilio does play a minor, but very major role.) Interesting footnote is that this was made while other son Charlie was pulling all his shenanigans. The cinematography (by Juan Miguel Azpiroz) is gorgeous.

If this movie doesn't get you rabidly fired up for the hiking season, nothing will.

The storyline will not be rehashed here, but it's quite poignant. Fellow hikers should enjoy it.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#165582 - 05/02/12 02:12 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
Agreed: wonderful movie. Emilio did a fantastic job with this movie. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I'd expected it to be more about the hike and camping but I was pleasantly surprised that it was about people, relationships and change.

I found myself identifying all the gear they were carrying and mentally making a gear list given that they stayed in hostels most nights.

It's a Netflix blueray if anyone's interested.

Doug

#165588 - 05/02/12 06:34 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: swammie]
kevonionia Offline

Doug:

It's got to be great on blueray with that scenery.

#165616 - 05/03/12 06:56 AM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree - excellent movie. I liked it so much I bought a copy to keep (and loan.)

#168393 - 08/10/12 09:28 AM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I will have to look for it. hopefully the library will carry it

#168418 - 08/10/12 04:43 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Just ditched Dish and picked up a Roku w/Netflix. I'll have to look for it.

Thanks for the pointer. Going though Netflix last night I realized I didn't recognize hardly any of the titles they have. (I used to know them all when I lived in LA)

"You want to go where?"

#168434 - 08/11/12 12:17 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Kevon, thanks for the share. It IS on Netflix instant cue. I started watching it last night at around 6 pm, and shortly after we received a message that my wife's brother finally passed after struggling for 3.5 years with cancer. The movie, "The Way", somehow was just what she and I needed at that time.

You don't choose a life, you live it. I like that quote.

sK

#168435 - 08/11/12 04:06 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: Ewker]
Ewker Offline

Red Box had it so we rented it last night. We thought it was a great movie. That trail has been added to our bucket list smile

#168441 - 08/12/12 03:15 AM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: Ewker]
kevonionia Offline

Ewker:

I'd love to read the trip report when u do it.

#168460 - 08/12/12 11:10 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
Ewker Offline

Kevonionia,

I am sure our trip report won't be as good as the movie..lol

#168481 - 08/14/12 07:53 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I watched it last night. Loved the scenery, especially the old homes, buildings, bridges and churches, they were all pretty cool cool

And I really liked the story line too. I'd never heard of the trail, or the pilgrimage, so that was really interesting.

I'd hike that trail just to get to the local food laugh

"You want to go where?"

#172690 - 12/05/12 07:45 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: kevonionia]
spwhite24 Offline

Loc: Bucyrus, OH. USA
very good movie. I highly suggest it.

#172741 - 12/06/12 08:48 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: billstephenson]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Bill,
I'm familiar with "the way of St. James", (although protestant I went to a Catholic College). Exactly which "trail" would you follow? laugh This one? Lol, that'd be a lot of food and a lot of hiking depending on your departure point.... grin

J.

#172760 - 12/07/12 12:01 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: jbylake]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I saw the movie a while back. My husband liked it a lot. I was more "luke warm" about it. I did not like "characters" that tagged along. I checked on the actual route- it is 780 km, or 484 miles long. That is 25 days making 20 mi/day.

#172770 - 12/07/12 03:10 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I checked on the actual route- it is 780 km, or 484 miles long. That is 25 days making 20 mi/day."

My guidebook suggests the distance from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago as 789.1 km (490.3 miles) --- that's the Camino Frances. My wife and I hope to hike this in the spring, and continue on to Finisterre ("Lands End") --- another 82 km.

We don't anticipate averaging 20 mpd. We'll hopefully see things a bit along the way, socialize, perhaps take a day or two off in route, and in general not push hard. Maybe; or maybe I'll get antsy and we'll finish faster and have to bum around in Spain for a while (could do worse).

What our guidebook recommends is a 5 week schedule to hike the whole thing, and that sounds good to us at this point.

We've been resisting the movie; we figure we'll enjoy things better if we encounter them fresh, and then enjoy seeing the movie afterwards. From experience at this on other long hiking trips, I imagine it would be fine either way, but that's how my wife wants to do it.

#172772 - 12/07/12 04:11 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: BrianLe]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Quote:
[i]"We've been resisting the movie; we figure we'll enjoy things better if we encounter them fresh, and then enjoy seeing the movie afterwards. From experience at this on other long hiking trips, I imagine it would be fine either way, but that's how my wife wants to do it.

The movie is not really about the hiking or even the scenery.

#172782 - 12/07/12 09:11 PM Re: "The Way" -- on the Camino de Santiago [Re: GrumpyGord]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
Quote:
[i]"We've been resisting the movie; we figure we'll enjoy things better if we encounter them fresh, and then enjoy seeing the movie afterwards. From experience at this on other long hiking trips, I imagine it would be fine either way, but that's how my wife wants to do it.

The movie is not really about the hiking or even the scenery.

No, it's not really about any of that. It's more like another modern day take on Siddhartha, only with four characters, each character's on a "spiritual self-discovery" journey. Not a very origional theme, in my opinion. You can accomplish the same thing with a quantity of good tequila wink

J.

Edited by jbylake (12/07/12 09:12 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum