Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110316 - 01/29/09 02:56 AM Cameras, cameras, cameras...
IdahoHiker Offline

Loc: Idaho, Moscow
So, as some of you may have gotten to know me with my abundance of noob questions on this forum, i continue to seek knowledge about backpacking. So, i got this sweet job for summer and now i am looking for a nice rugged camera that is somewhat cheap <$500 preferably around $300 and can used around/in water. Someone earlier posted several cameras and i am going to link them here.

This is the Olympus stylus 8000 ($400) http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1448

Olympus stylus 6000 ($300)
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1446

the Pentax W60($300)
http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W60_-_Ocean_Blue/

Panasonic TS1 ($400?ish)
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elect...000000000005702

I really like the olympus cameras. I own one currently that is ancient but has 3 MegaPix and weighs about 3 lbs. If someone could go through the specs on these cameras and tell me what you think of them, that would be great. I am really clueless when it comes to cameras. Thanks for the help.

#110331 - 01/29/09 12:23 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: IdahoHiker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
As long as you are willing to give up some manual control, any of these will stand up to your travels just fine.

I'd eliminate the Oly models, given their continued use of xD cards, with their verrry slow speeds and 2G capacity limit. The Panny is so new nobody's tested it yet. It and the Pentax both have 28mm equivalent lenses, which is a big plus over the ususal 35mm or so maximum. If you have time, I'd compare the two models after some tests reveal whether their image quality is up to snuff. Specwise, they look darn similar.

Cheers

#110332 - 01/29/09 12:42 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: Rick_D]
IdahoHiker Offline

I noticed that the panasonic has 2.1 more megapixels then the pentax. at 10+ megapixels does two more make that much of a difference? I am not going to be making any posters out of the pictures but i do like to zoom in and crop if need be on the computer.

The next question, say i was to steer away from these smaller stronger cameras and get one that is bigger with more manual controls, what would be a good recommendation for around $400?

#110335 - 01/29/09 01:29 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: IdahoHiker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Quality-wise, there's no meaningful difference between 10 and 12MP, only the opportunity to create more unwanted noise as the pixel count goes up and photosite dimensions go down. It's very possible the Pentax will perform better for that reason. I'd also argue that smaller image files fit more frames per card and take up less PC space.

For about $400 you can have a Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3, which are the current quality champs in compact cameras. There are a lot of head-to-head comparisons at places like DP Review for leisurely review. For a bit more, there's the great little Ricoh GX200, which is the most clever option by far (they offer a detachable EVF that, frankly, everybody else should copy). For even more money the Ricoh GRDII and the Sigma DP1, which have image quality approaching that of a dslr, but also cost about as much too.

I recently got the LX3 and am really enjoying it as an everyday carry camera (instead of pounds of slr stuff). The only flaw is the lack of any kind of viewfinder--composing on the LCD in the bright sunlight is a real challenge sometimes. The lens is brilliant and the camera itself is quite small and light.

Neither the Panny or Canon is water or dustproof, so they require a bit more care than the bombproof models, but the payoff is in the pics.

Lots of choices!

Cheers,

#110368 - 01/29/09 08:15 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: Rick_D]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
If you decide to go with a G10, Canon makes some very functional and inexpensive Underwater Housings. I am a diver and underwater photographer. I needed a camera for whitewater rafting but I didn't want to give up everything and my DSLR and aluminum housing was not an option. The Canon G9 gave me the functions I wanted (needed) RAW, Manual, A & S priority. The housing worked flawlessly on the Grand Canyon trip and subsequently on a dive trip to Cozumel. In fact, it worked so well that it is an entertaining thought not to haul a 1610 Pelican and a Lowepro Roller full of DSLR stuff to the islands.

If the G10 is too much camera, Canon makes a housing for most of their Powershot cameras. Here is another option
Canon Powershot SD880IS
Canon WPD26 Underwater Housing

P.S. Ebay is a good source for some of the discontinued models as well as their respective housings.

Edited by scottyb (01/29/09 08:21 PM)

#111461 - 02/18/09 03:08 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: ]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I definitely recommend www.dpreview.com which Rick mentioned above. They have almost every camera out there on their site with comprehensive reviews and previews of new models show up about every week.

I am not sure what is out there in the way of rugged digital cameras. I have two Nikonos film cameras that are almost indestructible-a 3 and a 4. If Nikon made one of those digital, it would be the perfect camera for a lot of purposes. I used to take my Nikonos 3 on film shoots, because it didn't matter if it got wet or banged around while I was working.

#111477 - 02/18/09 07:17 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: TomD]
IdahoHiker Offline

i have done a lot of research on some cameras and have it narrowed down to these.

Olympus 8000
Pentax ts1
or maybe the Cannon g10.

I am dying to hear some reviews on all of the small waterproof cameras coming out but a lot dont even hit the market until April. I have been patiently waiting for dpreviews to do some reviews on them. oh well. just gotta wait it out then.

#111480 - 02/18/09 08:53 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: TomD]
scottyb Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
I definitely recommend www.dpreview.com which Rick mentioned above. They have almost every camera out there on their site with comprehensive reviews and previews of new models show up about every week.

I am not sure what is out there in the way of rugged digital cameras. I have two Nikonos film cameras that are almost indestructible-a 3 and a 4. If Nikon made one of those digital, it would be the perfect camera for a lot of purposes. I used to take my Nikonos 3 on film shoots, because it didn't matter if it got wet or banged around while I was working.

Now you are talking. The Nikonos III is definitely indestructible. It was the last meterless and many people would say, the best Nikonos. A friend of mine acquired one in an estate sale in San Diego for little to nothing. He gave it to me last year, including the original manuals, leather carrying case, and a whole aliminum hard case full of stuff. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it.

I still have one practically unused Nikonos V body. I should have sold it with the rest of them but, I wasn't quiet convinced that digital was the way to go yet. I still remember the days of taking a one week dive trip, shooting 20+ rolls of film because you didn't want to start another dive with less than a full roll, and not having a clue what was on there until after returning home. Finally I was able to get E-6 processing done when I started going on some live-aboard dive boats.

I'm not sure if anyone will make another proprietary Underwater camera again since housings have came so far and are relatively inexpensive. It seems cheaper and better to house a proven high quality camera.

#112854 - 03/15/09 06:03 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: IdahoHiker]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
I'm a big fan of the small, waterproof cameras and I own a Pentax W10, and W30 - predecessors to the W60. I believe Pentax is going in the right direction.

I've found that I take more video footage than pictures, so Pentax's fledgling 15fps HD on the W60 is another step in the right direction. I haven't looked to see what the other manufacturers are doing, but I think Pentax Option W-series are really good values for the BP-crowd.

I'm not a camera noob - I still have a Nikon FM somewhere.

Here's an underwater video of a cutthroat trout filmed with a W30 on the smallest Gorilla Pod wrapped around a tree branch. Not going to win any awards, but it gives an idea what you can do (but please excuse the Youtube quality reduction).

Pentax W30 underwater video

#113173 - 03/22/09 04:15 PM Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras... [Re: IdahoHiker]
scottyb Offline

Here is a sample of what the G9 can do underwater in it's housing.

Here are a few others.

Canon G9 in Cozumel

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum