Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118729 - 07/25/09 03:37 PM Help with son's new gear
Kerflop Offline

Loc: Kansas City
This is my first post after a few weeks of lurking... A quick bit about us, my son and I. I have been camping since a kid, but really only car camping. My son, who just turned nine, and I want to venture out deeper on the trail. We just started looking into equipment and man am I confused about all the stuff out there. I am reluctant to pay premium prices for equipment that he will out grow in the next year or so. Today we went to Dick's to look at bags and packs where we found the following.

1. Bag - MT20 Jr. $34.99 Size- 68 x 25 x 18. Now, we wont be doing any winter camping and Missouri doesn't get all that cold in the other three season for us to warrent a warmer bag. So a 20 degree bag should be just fine...

2. Pack - Marmot Aspen 35 #9368. It is 2200 Cubic " and 3.1 LBS. $79.99

I do not know much about either of these but they are well below the price of most of the other equipment we have seen. I can't seem to find anything on the net that talks about them so I am hoping someone here has some experience or alternate suggestions..

Help smile

#118755 - 07/26/09 02:42 PM Re: Help with son's new gear [Re: Kerflop]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I am not familiar with the items you mention and could find out nothing online. That 20 degree sleeping bag is probably more like a 30-35* bag--except for the really expensive brands, the ratings of most sleeping bags are at least 10 degrees off. How much does it weigh? You don't want to put more than about 10-12 lbs. on a 9-year-old kid; maybe less for his first trip. If it's a mummy bag and weighs less than 3 lbs., it's probably OK. It may last until your boy is 5'5", which is probably 5 years or so down the road. (Cheap sleeping bags tend to lose their loft faster.) It might be too big for him now, though, which means he'll have a lot of dead air space to warm with his body heat and therefore won't be as warm.

Does the pack really fit your boy? It's most important that a pack fit well and comfortably support 8-10 lbs inside. Be sure to get a pack with load lifters which will keep the straps from cutting into his shoulders (I found this out the hard way), and that will transfer nearly all the weight from the shoulder straps to the hip belt. I wouldn't try to put a small size adult pack on a child (I recently tried with disastrous results). A search of the Marmot website did not come up with this pack, so I couldn't find out anything about it. You might want to consider the REI Comet or Deuter Fox.

There are some things you don't want to buy too big and wait for the child to grow into them. Footwear is one of these things and a backpack is another.

#118827 - 07/28/09 12:54 PM Re: Help with son's new gear [Re: Kerflop]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Kerflop (I like that username!), there are a number of fairly recent threads in this section that discuss various aspects of gear for kids. I hope you've read them!

#118831 - 07/28/09 02:07 PM Re: Help with son's new gear [Re: Kerflop]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
A new Dick's just opened in my neck of the woods. From what I observed in the camping section, I would say it's not the best place to look for backpacking gear. Especially for a youngster.

Look at online stores such as REI.com. Not necessarily even to buy but just to see what's out there.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118855 - 07/28/09 09:25 PM Re: Help with son's new gear [Re: Trailrunner]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Campmor is a good on-line store that offers inexpensive gear.

T

#139591 - 09/30/10 09:59 AM Re: Help with son's new gear [Re: Kerflop]
sbonder Offline

buy lightest possible stuff. i bought a kid's sleeping bag at rei and it is heavier than mine. if you want your son to carry stuff, make it as light as you can afford.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum