Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186847 - 08/27/14 09:25 PM Sprained ankle
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Last Saturday, on the first day of a trip, my 14-year-old grandson sprained his ankle. Fortunately, it wasn't a serious sprain. I finally got to practice my Wilderness First Aid! I used several feet of vet wrap (self-adhering foam bandage) and then used several wraps of Gorilla duct tape over it. Worked quite well, and no problems removing it when we got home!

My memories of ankle sprains include my foot's swelling up to the size of a football by the next day, with no possibility of wearing a shoe. We therefore decided to hike out that evening. I gave JP about 5 lbs of pack, gave me 15, hung the food in Ursacks on a tree and put a trash bag full of miscellaneous stuff (no food or smellables) in the tent, hoping it would be there when I came back. I put a note in a plastic bag and tied it to the front of the tent.

Hiking out, the last part in the dark, was rather adventurous. With one set of trekking poles between us, we compromised at one each. JP had my good Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp, while I was using a Petzl e+lite. . The latter was completely useless! JP had to turn around at every rough spot and shine his light on the trail for me. It was rather a slow process, 1 3/4 hours for a mile. We made it though, got home about midnight (no pizza places still open, much to my grandson's disgust). On Monday I left JP at home with his ice pack, lots of food, the complete Harry Potter movies and Oscar the Jack Russell terrier, while I drove up, hiked in, and retrieved the rest of the gear. It was so much easier in the daylight!

Anyway, the lesson I earned is that the extra 2 ounces for an adequate headlamp with bright light and long-lasting batteries is well worth it in an emergency!

JP is recovering apace and is now at home. It turns out that we could have waited until the next day, because he had minimal swelling, but I didn't know that and neither did he!

#186852 - 08/28/14 11:57 AM Re: Sprained ankle [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
OregonMouse,

Good job getting your grandson out. I think hiking out in the evening was an excellent idea. So was leaving much of the gear behind. Good thing you had the headlamps. We also carry headlamps in case we have to make a night exit. I seldom use mine as I have a small solar powered flashlight.

I once had a similar ankle injury the day before we went camping. It was about a mile hike in. Dumb, but I was about 16. I spent the next day wading in ice cold streams and the swelling went down. Later, I found out the ankle was broken, but it heeled without treatment.

Anyway, from one situation, sometimes we can learn about a similar circumstance. I consider a sprained ankle one of the most probable injuries, yet I don't carry an ankle wrap. What I do carry is scissors and I know I could make an ankle wrap from one of the cotton shirts I'm not supposed to wear or the cotton pants I wear. I could also make it from the tent footprint, but that would probably be hot and sweaty.

A sprained ankle is the reason I always take enough gear on day hikes to spend a reasonably comfortable night.

A friend of mine used to be a Philmont counselor. He once told me they taught the scouts to step around, over or on obstacles -- in that order. Since I started using this, I've had fewer slips.

Once again -- great job! Your grandson has had an experience that can't be duplicated by reading or talking about these situations.

#186853 - 08/28/14 12:22 PM Re: Sprained ankle [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Oh, that's too bad OM. Sprained ankles such and, like Gershon alluded too, you don't really know off the bat if it's a sprain or a break.

When I was 13- or 14 I was horsing around (do people still say that?) on the steps of our Junior High School and sprained my ankle pretty good. Thing was, I wasn't supposed to be there and it was way past my time to have been home. It was about a two mile walk to get home, and there was no way I was calling my mom and telling her where I was, so I started gimping along. At first I sort of hopped on one leg, then I started limping, and after a while I realized I was walking. My ankle was still tender, but I was able to walk ok. The next day I was fine. I'm not sure there's any lesson in that, but that's how it went.

Now, just a couple years ago (more than 40 years later) I sprained my ankle down at my barn. It just folded over on me and I actually went into a slight shock. That one stuck with me for about a week or so. I'm not so sure that "walking it off" would have helped and since I didn't have to worry about my mom grounding me I decided not to try it laugh

Like Gershon, even when I day hike I take enough to spend a decently comfortable night or two, and that's because I know how easy it is to sprain an ankle, but, knocking on wood, I've never done that while hiking yet.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum