Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118306 - 07/13/09 08:20 PM Weather related fatalities
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

What is the #1 cause of weather related fatalities (stupidity doesn't count smile ).

Go here for the answer:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml

Here is a link to weather awareness topics:
http://www.weather.gov/safety.php

The #1 is HEAT. That's right, good ol' heat.

Here in East Texas, in the last 21 days we've had 16 days of 100+F. Obviously, I'm not hiking in weather like that but we have to take care even working outside for short periods of time.

My job keeps me inside at the computer most of the day, so I try to only work outside from 7am-1pm and I also drink lots of water and sport drinks (for the electrolytes). Even with that and my knowledge and training I got overheated last weekend while working outside. My mistake? Not drinking enough water before I got started. I should have drank a quart before I ever got out of the truck. As it was, it took several quarts to get rehydrated over a 4 hour period, indoors with airconditioning and also had to monitor my blood pressure.

So, let's be careful out there where ever you are.

#118309 - 07/13/09 08:40 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: Tango61]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Many years ago I had the grand idea to attend tennis camp with my best friend in Fayetteville, NC in June. Those of you familiar with "Fayettenam" know that this is consistently the hot spot in NC in the summer time. Afternoon temps were easily hitting 110 or more on the courts, and it was "clear skies" above the whole week. I was smart enough to know to drink drink drink so my friend and I would take a gallon of icewater with us to camp each morning. At lunch time we'd refill our jug with icewater for the afternoon. I believe we were the only 2 kids who did not have serious heat stress that week. We didn't have to take anyone to the hospital, but there was quite a bit of heat exhaustion going on. That is probably one of the few times in my life where I drank that much water each day. By the end of the week I felt like you could squeeze the water out of me. I certainly never did THAT again... but you're right... drinking water - plenty of water and electrolytes - is essential when you are exercising in the heat. Thanks for the reminder. Even here in AK this summer we need to remember to hydrate because it has been HOT!

MNS

#118311 - 07/13/09 09:38 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: midnightsun03]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I was stationed at Fort Bragg for part of my time in the Army. I didn't much care for the summers; I much prefer the Arizona triple-digit summers. As I recall, I didn't like Fayetteville all that much either. frown

#118358 - 07/15/09 07:40 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: Tango61]
Wolfstuka Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm at Fort Sam Houston right now for AIT, we had a soldier die two weeks ago after his/her PT test. We were told they had been drinking energy drinks. This happened in the early morning mind you when it is reasonably cool like 76 degrees. The temperature has been 100 or greater for a number of weeks now...if you don't drink water you die nothing else can substitute H2O. O yeah Texas is great so much that I can't wait to leave maybe I'll go to Alaska.

#118397 - 07/16/09 09:53 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: Wolfstuka]
midnightsun03 Offline

The water requires electrolytes. Too much water and you'll die from swelling in the brain. Electrolytes allows the body to keep its water distribution in equilibrium.

MNS

#118645 - 07/23/09 07:52 AM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: midnightsun03]
EricaStolte Offline

Loc: SouthernVT
Just curious...If a person's body requires electrolytes, what did they do before these special fitness drinks were invented?.
People have been drinking just water for a long time.

#118651 - 07/23/09 12:27 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: EricaStolte]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
All those people that drank only water a long time ago all died. I believe it was DHMO poisoning.

#118653 - 07/23/09 12:36 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: EricaStolte]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Kidding aside, midnight sun is correct that the water needs electrolytes.

What she failed to make clear is that the electrolytes do not need to be in the water, but only available within the body, whether from food or from existing body chemistry. Fancy sports drinks are just a way of packaging the electrolytes in the same bottle as the water. That's a convenience, not a requirement.

#118657 - 07/23/09 02:04 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: EricaStolte]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

You get your electrolytes from your food.

I drink water when hiking. I also make sure I have salty and electrolyte rich snacks with me and that I am eating the same
along with drinking water.

3 days hiking for me usually ends up with large salt crusties on my shirt and hat - ample evidence that I'm kicking out lots
of salt and other goodies in my sweat. (and time to jump in a creek/lake and wash up so I'm not so funky)

Browse my pictures

#118659 - 07/23/09 03:14 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: aimless]
midnightsun03 Offline

Yes, I didn't make clear that electrolytes don't need to be in the water. It is easier when they are, though, because just relying on food, if you don't have the right food, or if the heat and exercise makes you nauseated, can make it difficult to get the right balance.

Potassium is important to supplement, but not quite as easy as sodium to get from salty snacks like crackers or nuts. Potato chips are actually an excellent source of both. When I exercise I crave potato chips. If I'm not exercising I don't eat them. Potatoes are high in natural potassium, and the salt replenishes the bodies sodium needs. Lightly salted potato chips are best.

Most people get nauseated hiking in the heat, though, which is why sports drinks can be beneficial. Just limit the sugar content. I believe I have posted recipes for homemade sports drinks in the past - an archive search would find those posts. After doing that research I bought a potassium chloride salt substitute that I keep in my kitchen. When I start feeling the effects of low potassium (which seems to be a problem for me) I'll add that to my food or drinks for the day. I also sometimes take a potassium supplement, but you have to be very very careful with potassium because too much can cause cardiac problems.

Along with sodium and potassium, calcium and magnesium are important electrolytes that need to be supplemented if you're not getting adequate amounts in your food. The body does obtain these instrinsically (from bone) when needed, but having them available from food or drink helps speed up their distribution to the body.

Alternating sports drinks with water is one option for maintaining electrolyte balance while exercising. Carrying food high in natural sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium are a good way to fuel your body's needs while you're resting (i.e. in camp, not exercising, and hopefully no longer nauseated).

MNS

#118660 - 07/23/09 03:24 PM Re: Weather related fatalities [Re: Wolfstuka]
midnightsun03 Offline

I just realized this poster said the soldier who died was drinking ENERGY drinks, which is not to be confused with SPORTS drinks. ENERGY drinks are high in caffeine which is a diuretic. It is aso a cardiac stimulant, so combining heat with exercise and caffeine with no water is clearly a lethal thing to do. The heart rate will elevate because of the exercise, the heat and the dehydration. After a while it won't be able to keep up. Prolonged rapid heart rates can be fatal because the heart is a muscle, and just like other muscles, when it runs out of the free glycogen (sugar) from the blood it will draw stored glycogen from the muscle tissue, and it will produce lactic acid in the process. The lactic acid causes classic chest pain, which is the body's way of saying "Dude! Give me a break!" If you exercise through chest pain (which a young person might do) eventually the heart will arrest because there's nothing left to fuel it's activity.

MNS

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum