Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150463 - 05/17/11 10:46 AM Are you prepared?
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
True confessions! In our efforts to reduce weight of our packs (a good overall goal), do we skimp on safety? Do you depend on fellow backpackers as a "backup"? Does the idea that you will be meeting people nearly daily on the trail lead you to take just a little less emergency gear? Have you ever had to "borrow" from someone you meet on the trail or scrounge abandoned food from a bear box? Or are you 100% self sufficient? Have you ever taken your gear "to the limit"?
Another way to say this- would you pack any differently if you knew for sure 1) you would not see another person the entire trip and 2) you would be in the limit of expected rotten weather for several days or 3) you would get hurt, under conditions 1 and 2?

#150468 - 05/17/11 11:36 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Most of my hiking/backpacking is with either scouts, or my sons. Since I have kids with me, I bring more stuff. Mostly this is first aid and survival related. I try and go places where people aren't, so I expect to not see anyone. I also don't expect others in my group to have something I need, unless I specifically give it to them to carry (which I do sometimes).

#150471 - 05/17/11 12:28 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
If I am on a well traveled trail, I am likely to take more, because I figure there is a greater likelihood of encountering an emergency.

#150472 - 05/17/11 12:33 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
dkramalc Offline

I think I've always tended to pack for worst case scenarios, be it for backpacking or just travel. Must be the influence of my pessimistic father, who always assumed the situation would be going to hell in a handbasket!

I always have warm enough clothing for the worst case weather; I was able to supply an extra jacket to a friend who came on a week-long August trip in the Sierra with us without raingear or tent (it rained every day! at night he'd roll up in his groundcloth, once or twice he came into our tent for the late afternoon thundershower). He would've survived without it, but I am not that tough so I know I need to bring enough shelter and warm stuff for myself. And we always bring a full first-aid kit.

#150477 - 05/17/11 01:26 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: dkramalc]
wandering_daisy Offline

It looks like those on this forum are good sameritans rather than "moochers". I too have had to bail out the less prepared. More often than not, the totally unprepared are day hikers. I also carry battery cables in my car and have had to jump start a few people at the trailhead.

I will confess that I reduce my food to the wire, but have never asked for food when I am on my way out with no food left. I have hit my comfort limit many times, but never have felt my survival were in jepordy due to missing gear. In a group, we do all consolidate first aid gear and repair kits. I have been generously given extra fuel and food from people on their way out who just want to reduce their pack weight (because they took too much). They nearly beg me to take the stuff.

In a group I used to climb with there were a few annoying "moochers" who purposly used small summit packs (sorry I just do not have room to carry the "X"- whatever group gear we needed), never brought emergency gear (bivouacing on a ledge and the fellow next to me is on the verge of hypothermia so I give him my bivy sack and he uses my extra socks for mittens- now although I am not on the verge of hypothermia, my comfortable night just ended). These are experienced people who count on others charity in order to save weight in their own packs. They do not ask, but know I am a sucker for a pitiful look.

Overall, I probably take a bit too much clothing but have never regretted this.

#150487 - 05/17/11 03:13 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I almost always have the lightest pack, but also am the person carrying the emergency gear. I have hiked with phat and I think he had a lighter pack, probably Oregon Mouse also.

I carry a first aid kit but have only used it on other people in the last five years.

My weakness is taking too much trail snacks. If I carry out a half dozen bars at 2 oz. a piece then it is something I will live with. I have never mooched food.

At the Tonto level in the Grand Canyon the first week of May the overnight low was 41.7F. I was carrying a Jacks'R'Better Stealth and had to put on my micro-puff pullover and burrito the TYVEK - then I was toasty. I often offer to share body heat with every attractive woman on the trip - but that does not have anything to do with gear. lame sorry

#150490 - 05/17/11 03:55 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
oldranger Offline

I recall one memorable climb where we were forced to bivouac and I loaned one of my Army wool surplus sweaters to an unprepared newbie we had talked into doing the climb. We stayed warm enough because we had a fire, but I think that was his last climb.

Note the critical role of army surplus gear once again....

#150491 - 05/17/11 03:58 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: ringtail]
oldranger Offline

What a guy! You are truly generous...

I carried a bag that would convert to a double (sort of like a quilt). It actually came into legitimate use on a couple of rescues.

#150502 - 05/17/11 06:17 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
No, I would not pack differently, and I omit nothing I need for my comfort and safety. I have found that I can get along without a lot of stuff I used to think was "essential." Examples of what I eliminated: Several changes of clothes instead of the amount of clothing I would wear all at once in the worst conditions I might encounter. A mess kit with plate and cup instead of just a pot and spoon. A first aid kit designed to meet scenarios that have probably a 0.001% chance of happening (if they do, I know how to improvise with what I have). I've found that my dog and I can be just as comfortable in a 26-ounce tent as we were in a 5-pound tent--actually far more comfortable, because in the heavier double-wall tent a lot more condensation got inside the inner tent than in my current single wall tent. And, of course, I discovered Western Mountaineering (resulting in a considerably lighter wallet), so I now take a far warmer sleeping bag for 2.5 times less weight. My insulated air pad is far more comfortable, warmer and lighter than the old 1980's thermarest. My backpack itself is 3 pounds lighter than my old Kelty external frame, far more comfortable and safer (it moves with me, while the old one zigged every time I zagged, throwing me off balance), and its load lifters take the pressure off my pressure-sensitive shoulders.

Not that I didn't run into some "interesting" situations in the process! My attempt at squeezing Hysson (dog) and myself into a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (nice tent, but not for more than one) was OK when we were there only to sleep, but was quite cramped when we were confined to the tent from 5 pm on by thunderstorms. (phat now owns the tent, and he's still finding dog hair in it.) My attempt at using a NeoAir in below-freezing temperatures was a rather chilling experience. However, none of these got close to the danger line, just into the "uncomfortable" area.

In summary:
--Eliminate duplication (except for spare socks). The big exception here is going out with the grandkids--they take a full change of clothing even though I don't (if they don't get wet, they spill food). Of course, guess who was the one who fell full-length in the mud on our last trip....
--Substitute lighter items for heavier, making sure that they still fulfill their function properly.
--Eliminate items rarely or never used (but don't leave the rain gear home just because it didn't rain on the last trip!)
--Test everything in the back yard or on short trips before taking it into extreme conditions. (Difficult with sleeping gear when you live in a relatively warm climate!)
--Learn (by trial and error if necessary) what you can do without.
--Learn to live more simply, to be less dependent on "stuff."
--Work on learning skills (example: wilderness first aid) so you can cope with difficulties and/or improvise from your existing gear in an emergency. Skills, IMHO, are more important than gear!

If you want to meet unprepared hikers, try hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, where I routinely meet "hikers" wearing high heels, no pack, no water, no food, no jacket, no map or knowledge of local geography.... The only thing I've ever given any of them is a map, but I have answered a multitude of weird questions!

As for the "moochers"--that (in addition to my snail-like hiking pace) is the main reason I backpack either with family (where we coordinate and share gear) or, preferably, solo. Hysson is always willing to mooch, of course, but I don't let him!

#150507 - 05/17/11 07:04 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
lori Offline

I usually have enough fuel for another two days simply because so many people have stove issues. One of the reasons I am not a Jetboil fan is the regularity of which Jetboil users in our hiking group find they can't get them lit in the morning, and need help making hot water for oatmeal.

I have finally used up the moleskin I never use anymore by giving it away to blistered folk!

I've also offered to a dude who did not bring a tent - you can sleep on the ground under my tarp, I'll be in the hammock. In the end the clouds went away and he just cowboy camped as planned.

I don't think I would pack differently solo. I'd just be much more careful where I put my feet, and more conservative in general on how I use the stove.

There are a few times I've "borrowed" whisky. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#150513 - 05/18/11 12:04 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rayman1968 Offline

Loc: Ventura, CA.
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
My insulated air pad is far more comfortable, warmer and lighter than the old 1980's thermarest.

Which pad are you using?

#150517 - 05/18/11 01:38 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Rayman1968]
Wilderness70 Offline

I always pack prepared. I got lost pretty bad as a kid one time on our ranch, and I read survival stories all the time so my mindset is always to be prepared.

I'm also usually the organizer/leader of trips and I'm often the most experience so I end up carrying a lot of "common" gear like navigation tools and first aid kits.

Also I usually have the best gear so I end up carrying filtration devices, stoves, etc. For some unknown reason I have issues with giving my gear to another person to carry, so I just pack it. There's probably a control issue there where I want to have everything I would need to stay alive on my back.

I've given out food and water to day hikers once... they tried doing a 10 mile loop and were pretty unprepared. The only thing I've ever requested from a stranger on a trail was an aspirin for a splitting headache, which they were happy to provide me with. Of course I now carry a selection of pharmaceuticals with me.

#150518 - 05/18/11 01:38 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: lori]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We haven't ever borrowed anything that I can remember, but we've certainly shared what we have...or at least offered to do so.

The one thing that I think about sometimes is being well off the trail on rough terrain...and worrying about a bad sprain/broken ankle. Has anyone ever carried one of those inflatable casts? Just a thought.

On the other hand, we would make the injured person comfortable, and then the healthy one would make a hike for help...the true test of a marriage!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#150522 - 05/18/11 09:06 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

Another way to say this- would you pack any differently if you knew for sure 1) you would not see another person the entire trip and 2) you would be in the limit of expected rotten weather for several days

Nope, although that's pretty easy to answer for me because I a lot of the time I don't see another person the entire trip.

Quote:

3) you would get hurt, under conditions 1 and 2?

Again, nope. I've been hurt and sick enough to be delayed, if it
was something beyond I could handle myself I do carry a plb.

I do usually have a little bit of extra food/snacks, but pretty minimal.

I often get mooched from - snacks, coffee, alcohol, etc. Last time I was out with a big group it was my little medical kit that was getting used to patch people up.

The other thing I get mooched off of a lot is my chlorine dioxide water treatment - when someone's water filter breaks or clogs or otherwise becomes nonfunctional (which seems to happen with relative frequency)

The only think I've been known to mooch (and only if offered) is extra hot water in the morning - I keep my fuel matched to my morning coffee ration, but I'll not say no to an extra cup wink

Edited by phat (05/18/11 09:09 AM)
Browse my pictures

#150523 - 05/18/11 09:34 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

I have carried an inflatable lower leg splint, but only as part of my SAR kit. I have used it multiple times and once on myself (leader fall). It is quick and easy to apply, but there are drawbacks - it can be punctured and if a change in elevation is involved in evacuation (think helicopters), you must adjust for varying air pressures. I think it too specialized to carry on a regular basis. One can craft just as good a splint from available materials - it will just take a bit longer.

Quite a few ankle "crunches" occur on trails. I am not sure if the incidence of ankle injuries is actually any higher when off trail. What matters is proper foot gear and strong lower legs, as well as attention to footing, which is likely to be heightened when off trail.

#150529 - 05/18/11 12:37 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I didn't mention about the illness/injury issue. These days I'm very careful, whether alone, on a popular trail with dozens of other people around or with family, because I know that at my age an injury would probably be the end of my backpacking career. I also carry a Personal Locator Beacon. I have or can improvise sufficient first-aid for situations in which I'd have to self-evacuate (say a broken arm or sprained ankle), although I might have to leave some gear behind. I'm more worried about a serious injury or illness that would incapacitate my dog, because at 80 lbs. he's far too big for me to carry out. I once tried to improvise a travois at home, just to be sure I could do it. The travois worked fine, but persuading Hysson to stay on it when I started dragging it was another matter! I guess if he were sick enough so he couldn't struggle too hard, I might be able to keep him on it by lashing him to the travois. I can't push the PLB button for my dog, of course!

One interesting dual-use first-aid item I found is veterinary wrap, self-adhering foam wrap, used on dogs or horses to hold bandaging on a leg. It's a far lighter substitute for elastic bandage, although for a sprained ankle I'd want some duct tape reinforcement on the outside (at least the duct tape won't be stuck to my skin!). The one caveat is that under heat and pressure it tends to fuse together, so it should be checked yearly and replaced when that starts to happen. Actually, everything in the first-aid kit should be checked and most of it replaced yearly. It's a good idea to label all meds, over-the-counter as well as prescription, and include the expiration date so you know when to toss them.

I do carry a larger first aid kit when going out with the grandkids. The larger the party, the more the risk that something will happen. If nothing else, I take more large bandaids of the type that will cover a skinned knee or elbow!

A good wilderness first-aid class will teach you a lot about managing the most common back-country injuries and how to improvise with what you have, instead of carrying a lot of stuff you'll probably never use. It's well worth the money! Check with your local REI because a lot of them have been offering the 16-hour NOLS course for about $200.

If you haven't had first-aid training, please do not carry first-aid items you don't know how to use! You're likely to do more harm than good. One example is the snake-bite kit, still widely sold but which medical authorities now say should NOT be used--no tourniquet, no cut-and-suck, no Sawyer extractor, no ice, all of which do nothing but further damage tissue. Just clean the wound, keep everything level and seek help ASAP. All this per my wilderness first-aid instructors last year and my source for up-to-date medical info, my-son-in-law-the-ER-physician.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/18/11 12:45 PM)

#150530 - 05/18/11 12:39 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
While I acknowledge the original point, I think that the question "are you 100% self sufficient" isn't the optimal one to ask.

I suggest that no backpacker is ever 100% self sufficient --- I could never carry enough to be 100% prepared for anything. It's always some sort of grey-scale judgement of what to take to be warm, dry, fed, safe, etc while not carrying too much weight. And of course that being prepared is about more than just the gear carried.

Some gear is needed of course (!), but more important IMO is the knowledge, experience, and wisdom/prudence to make the best use of that gear and in general to make good decisions.

For my part, I don't depend on others as backup (whether hiking solo or in a group). On well-traveled trails, however, I appreciate that I'm a little safer just because others are more likely to come along (and I, in turn, enhance their safety net in the same way just by being out there).

#150537 - 05/18/11 02:43 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: BrianLe]
wandering_daisy Offline

100% self sufficient is not the same as 100% prepared. Of course nobody is ever 100% prepared for 100% of all conditons. Self sufficiency is simply that you do not materially or mentally expect "support" from others. In other words, you are totally comfortable if you never saw another person the entire trip. I would not underestimate the psychological comfort, particularly for beginners, of knowing others will occasionally come along. It takes some experience to be psychologically self sufficient. And you are totally correct about skill and judgement being as important as gear. Self sufficient people do ont "borrow" or lean on others skills- the have thier own.

And you are correct, the better question is do you ever depend on the "trail community". I know PCT'ers do, even if simply for occasional companionship, beta, and moral support. Would a PCT'er pack or do anything different if they KNEW that they would truely be solo for the entire trip? Would some of the later hikers even succeed if not for the trail breaking through snow that others do. I am not making a valued judgement, pro or con on this. The only problem I see with "planning" on material support is what if everyone thought the "other" guy would have the first aid gear so nobody had any! A lot of people nowadays seem to be solo backpacking in a loose "group" who are all heading down the trail. You get the social experience without the responsibility or dealing with another's different pace or style. For an "old school" hermit like me, I find this a little disturbing because I DO see a lot of people on the trails who seem to be ill prepared and highly dependent on others they do not even know. Along with this trend, is the use of PLB devices that seem to enable the less prepared to do something they would not otherwise do.

#150569 - 05/19/11 12:22 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Great point about "self sufficient" vs. "prepared". I always try to read carefully before replying but mea culpa, you're right!

Quote:
"And you are correct, the better question is do you ever depend on the "trail community". I know PCT'ers do, even if simply for occasional companionship, beta, and moral support. Would a PCT'er pack or do anything different if they KNEW that they would truely be solo for the entire trip? Would some of the later hikers even succeed if not for the trail breaking through snow that others do."

Like most thru-hikers, I started the PCT alone, and hiked a lot of it alone, but even then I absolutely benefited from the trail community. It was incredibly helpful to get reports on what snow conditions were like up ahead, and indeed, having footsteps to follow in the snow was often helpful to head for the proper pass. Asabat's water reports were the most important piece of info for the first 700 or so miles, built from individual reports to him (including one of mine). Knowledge of fires ahead was huge, to include just talking to others of the same tribe to figure out solutions. No question that being on that trail with others was a big help. Ditto the Appalachian trail, though less so for me as it wasn't my first long trip.

Prepping now for the CDT, I sort of "feel" the lack of a big trail community, though the one that's there is pretty experienced and helpful. I don't believe I'm carrying anything that I wouldn't carry on a more populated trail; I am starting this trail with another fellow, but he and I both know that we could end up having to split up and need to be entirely self-sufficient.

I think that approach is common among long distance hikers, FWIW --- leverage what benefits you can of others around you (and of course provide such benefits back ...), but always be ready to be on your own. And thrive & enjoy!

#150575 - 05/19/11 01:04 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
oldranger Offline

When I discovered the outdoors and its delights, there were no options. You had to be self sufficient, because there was no trail community. It was years before I ever encountered a party on the trail who were not known personally to at least someone in our group.

What has always appealed to me about backpacking and climbing is its elegance. you need to carry everything you need, and nothing that is superfluous or unnecessary. Finding that ideal, and keeping a reasonable cushion for the unanticipated, is a surprisingly tricky enterprise.

#150582 - 05/19/11 05:54 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
This brings me to one of my more odder fears (is odder even a word?) - If I'm hiking in the big world alone (as I most often do) and something catastrophic happens - Say 10 miles in the alpine, well off the beaten path (http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/white_mtns.html) and say an ice lens opens up under me and I break my leg (I didn't do anything stupid / wrong) and I cannot crawl my way out and I press the PLB button (say the bone is through the skin and I don't think I should wait the two days before someone reports me missing and tells the nice rangers what trail I'm on) - does this make me a bad person because if I hadn't been hiking alone maybe they could have gotten me out?

And yes, this is something I think / worry about every time I hike alone.

#150584 - 05/19/11 06:36 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Heather-ak
This brings me to one of my more odder fears .... I press the PLB button ... does this make me a bad person because if I hadn't been hiking alone maybe they could have gotten me out?

And yes, this is something I think / worry about every time I hike alone.

If it worries you, don't carry the PLB. Then you don't have to worry about deciding if you should push the button. I don't carry one... I figure if I die out on a hike I would consider that a better death than the more likely scenarios that will do me in. Plus, I figure the national parks and DNR have better things to spend their money on than pulling my stupid butt off a mountain.

Part of the joy of backpacking is pitting yourself against nature. If you always have an escape button, your not really on your own.

Sorry... maybe not the reassuring post you were looking for. On the flip side, in a true emergency you won't be too concerned about the moral ramifications of activating your PLB

#150585 - 05/19/11 06:50 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
oldranger Offline

No, you are not a bad person. Let's say you were hiking with a companion and you fall through an ice lens. What does your buddy do? Leave you and trek out to get help. Maybe your bud falls through an ice lens...Now what?

There are two possible solutions. Minimum party of four - one to stay with the victim and two to hike out. Only this will satisfy the safety geeks.

Or...if the rangers are really nice, they will have ESP, alerting instantly - "Heather-ak is in trouble. I can feel it! Alert all stations! Get my helo ready!"

The best thing is carrying a PLB in the situation you describe. Best wishes in applying the splint.

#150586 - 05/19/11 07:06 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Anybody that hikes is a good person. laugh

It depends - now it gets scary. My child is adult and has a college degree. I have an agreement with a person 30 years younger to continue my business. My wife could manage very well without me. If I could choose what I do on my last day on earth it would be to hike - OK with Denise Richards and Meg Ryan - I can still hike all day. wink wink

My fear of living incapacitated overwhelms my fear of dying. If I pushed the PLB button I would be concerned that they found me before I died, but after enough damage that I would live another 15 years as an invalid.

Not sure that is what you wanted to hear.

#150587 - 05/19/11 08:10 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: ringtail]
oldranger Offline

For my last day, if the ladies on this forum weren't available, I guess Eva Longoria would be OK......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum