Howdy,
I've been a loyal user of Keens for years now and have always used my orthotics in them (I have to).They have always been the most comfortable boot for my wide forefoot and bunion. However, the Liberty Ridge boots (their top of the line backpacking boot) and some of the other new models now come with some sort of fancy shock absorber in the heel. It sticks up as a bump but their insole is designed to cover it. However, my orthotic is not so designed and I can feel the bump under my heel. Not good! And Keen does not recommend using orthotics with these models for this reason (though the REI salesman didn't know this fact!). To which I say, what kind of crap is that!? I also have been observing that the soles in my Keens wear out faster than they used to, seems like poorer material than in the past.
I'm considering trying to grind off the bump, but that seems iffy. I'd be happy to find a new brand of boots but I don't know where to to go. Don't want anything too super heavy. I know some folks on here, like Oregon Mouse and BrianLe, have mentioned that they like trailrunners for their similar foot issues, but I'm just leery about using something so light weight: maybe I'm wrong, but I feel safer with more support of my sole and ankle. And I'm wondering about where to get more durable treads: it's ridiculous how fast I wear out my Keens! Some people claim that the American-made Keen models are more durable than the other Keens, but I don't know.

Edited by bobito9 (12/15/15 11:54 PM)