I've had the awesome opportunity to be part of two new MSR filters that I believe will rock the outdoor world. I'm not posting this to promote them, but to share with fellow gear heads a couple of incredible contraptions.

The new filter, called the MSR HyperFlow, has some amazing attributes. For one it is only 7.8 oz., will pump at an incredible 3-3.5 liters per minute (I was able to pump a liter in 20 seconds!), and is field maintainable. It uses a Hollow Fiber material (used for several years in the medical field) and will filter down to 0.2 microns.

There will also be a new gravity-filter called the AutoFlow. This filter uses the same Hollow Fibers, is also field maintainable, and will filter 1.5 liters per minute through gravity only. The inline filter will be sold separately giving anyone the opportunity to create a super light gravity filter. It can also be used as an inline filter for hydration. I witnessed it in use on the Colorado River and watched as it filtered 4 liters of water in about 3 minutes. I also drank several gulps with no after effects (the water was completely clear). When you see it, you may never pump again. The system (Dromlite bag, hose, filter, and bottle adapter) weighs in at 10.5 oz.

There are a couple of items that need to be known. The Hollow Fibers can fracture if frozen and could possibly break if dropped (care needs to be taken similar to a ceramic filter element). The filter will have a capacity around 1000 liters (260 gallons) before it needs to be replaced. It will retail for about $100 for the HyperFlow and $80 for the AutoFlow.

Both filters will be available around May 2008. Pretty cool!