Hi everyone,

I have sort of been lurking around these forums for a bit, and finally decided to post because I have some questions I havent really found definitive answers for. I have been looking at buying a new tent (such as the Quarter dome or tarptent scarp 2), but I have read various things that make me somewhat uncomfortable with buying a silnylon tent in particular UV degredation and low hydrostatic head. I am in Oklahoma, so it gets pretty sunny here during the summer. Is it feasible to leave a silnylon tent set up during the day if you are just carcamping? Or do you pretty much have to take it down and put it back up at night? On a related note, I remember reading that the color of the fly can affect how badly it is damaged by UV, is that true? If so, does it make sense to seek out a tent with a dark rainfly?

Then also, how well does silnylon perform in a thunderstorm? (Oklahoma thunderstorms get pretty nasty; I accidentally camped once in a county with a tornado warning, but that was my own stupidity). Does misting become an issue with very heavy rain and high winds?

I guess I just worry about the long term longetivity of silnylon with oklahoma summers and if I do get caught in a serious thunderstorm if I can expect to have water misting through the fly on me all night.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!!

Edited by scratchtp (09/11/12 09:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Added another question