I'm going to be overhauling most of my backpacking gear and want to start with the sleep system (shelter next to come). I've done enough research that I think I'm ready for some customized advice from all of you knowledgeable denizens of the backcountry. My focus is substantially reducing volume (first) and shaving some weight (second).

I'm a side sleeper who is fairly active, although I tend to tone it down when backpacking. Most of the places that I backpack (which includes the Sierras) have the capacity to get down below freezing on any given day of the year, so I'd say my target is something that would do okay down to say 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm a somewhat cold sleeper.

My current gear is a 20 degree F rated synthetic (Climashield APEX) sleeping bag that weighs around 2 lbs. 13 oz and a Thermarest XTherm. It's not a rectangular bag but is somewhat roomy (not a tight mummy) and I do fine in it as far as restrictiveness/freedom of movement.

I really like the XTherm (compared to a Ridgerest, which was my first pad set up), but it's fairly heavy and think I can do better. I see a lot of varying opinions on this topic and am trying to decide whether a substantially lighter pad (uninsulated?) with a thin CCF pad over or under it would be a better set up. I do like the idea of a pad in case the pad deflates and can't be repaired. Or I could just use a lighter insulated pad and no CCF, if there is still a substantial benefit to be had over the XTherm.

I'm willing to shell out some good cash to get to where I want to go but I also always like the idea of a good bang for my buck.

The people at my REI highly recommend the Nemo spoon-shaped bags and their insulated pad. It sounds like they all use them for backpacking. I like the design of those bags but they are heavy. I'm wondering if just getting the EE quilt with 950 fill that most fits my sleeping style and going from there would be the best bet. But I see varying feedback on quilts, and the REI people aren't fans. (I've never used a quilt for backpacking.)

Edited by Cal_Hawkeye (02/03/20 03:48 PM)