REI is going to have a sale next week, so I was checking out their backpacks and doing research. Can any of you suggest alternatives to the Osprey Exos 48?

I'm an armature hiker, maybe three trips per year, fair weather.

Sierra Nevada, no more than 5 miles in a day, 1 to 3 nights. I'll use my huge Kelty110 for week-long excursions (the length of Desolation Wilderness for example).

Budget is $200.

Normally I'd just use my big Kelty Redcloud 110, but I now have plantar fasciitis, my right foot is currently broken, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I'm trying to get under 30lbs with a comfort item or two. I'm down to a 3lb tent, and a 2lb sack, and the Exos will shed three lbs off my backpack.

I'm 6'2", and I *think* my torso is 41.25 21.25". I have no idea how people get exact measurements. In any event, that length indicates I should get a "Large" Osprey.

Durability is important to me, as I can't imagine dragging cottage industry gear over granite slabs here in the Sierras.

So... having read all that, and supplied all the "read before posting" information, what's a list of alternatives to checkout?

thanks!

edfardos

Edited by edfardos (10/31/16 02:11 PM)