Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205505 - 04/23/21 10:15 PM Why Not Road Runners?
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Yesterday I went to REI, thinking I would get a new pair of Altra Lone Peak trail runners. My current pair has lasted well over a thousand (relatively easy) miles, and are patched inside and out with Shoe Goo, barge cement, and fabric.

Somewhat to my surprise, I came home with a pair of Altra Riveras, which are road-running shoes. I may yet get new Lone Peaks, but the Riveras are for my daily walks as well as everyday normal wear.

I walked about three miles in them today, and I noticed I could actually feel the difference in weight (18 oz. vs 24 oz.)

So why not road runners for backpacking? I've only backpacked in "regular sneakers" once, and they worked fine, but conditions were pretty undemanding.

I recall in "Beyond Backpacking," the shoes Ray Jardine suggests are just ordinary running shoes. I think that may have been before "trail runners" became available.

Also, at one time there was concern over lug-soled shoes (mostly boots) damaging fragile alpine areas. I haven't heard much about this in recent years, but I may be a bit out of touch smile

Anyway, it seems like a logical place to save weight. Your thoughts?

#205506 - 04/24/21 12:32 AM Re: Why Not Road Runners? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I haven't yet tried road runners, so I have no news to report one way or the other. Could be great. Could be so-so. Could be awful. Beats me.

On the other hand, you clearly have a golden opportunity to blaze a new trail in backpacking footwear experimentation! Report back here when you come to a conclusion about your success of lack of it. grin

#205508 - 04/24/21 07:49 PM Re: Why Not Road Runners? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Every make and model are different enough that I have to test how much stability for my gait and how stiff the sole is. Doesn’t matter what they call the shoe. It has to perform over rocky trails and cross country terrain to be useful for my travel. Those would be top questions that I’d have.

Maybe they could work.

#205509 - 04/25/21 02:38 PM Re: Why Not Road Runners? [Re: aimless]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
More like re-blazing an abandoned trail smile

#205511 - 04/26/21 09:17 AM Re: Why Not Road Runners? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've walked a lot of miles on and off the trail in street shoes, and none of them were as nice or as expensive as your new Altras. Most of the time, I just made due with what I had, and my feet were just fine. My wife has run in Altras (street), but I could never bring myself to pay that much for trail shoes. These days, I do use trail runners (Saucony Cohesion TR), but only because the price is right, and they work for my feet. I guess my point is that street shoes and even non running "lifestyle" shoes can work.

Side note, does anyone else despise the term "lifestyle shoes"? It makes it sound like they're all for show and there's no practical aspect to them. Ugh.

#205512 - 04/26/21 11:58 AM Re: Why Not Road Runners? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
First and foremost: every foot and everyone's hiking preferences are unique. Use what works for you.

What might you be missing out on with a street running shoe? Depth of grip and (possibly) ability to handle sharp rocks sticking up out of the trail.

The kind of grip you need can be very dependent on where you hike. In England, hiking around in bogs with soft ground, hard nubs are preferred, but those hard nubs suck on wet slick rock. Hiking on dry, groomed trails don't need much grip at all. The soft nubs preferred on many trail runners are nice, but they sure wear off pretty fast.

If you regularly hike in areas with lots of rocks on the trail, street runners may leave your feet bruised pretty badly. Of course, many lightweight trail runners won't help you much either. Trying to find trail runners with an honest to gosh rock plate is getting more and more difficult.

Lots of people use street runners hiking. If they work for you, why not?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum