Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204080 - 02/10/20 04:04 PM Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag
Rotem Offline

Hello guys! first time here...
Im 18 years old from Israel, and backpack a lot. Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag that I'll use for camping in the winter. The winter in Israel is not very cold - The cold nights are around 0 celsius (~30F) and maybe few nights a year will be colder. The problem is that a lot of the nights are humid, and you wake up to a wet sleeping bag, so down is not an option, because I dont want or need to cary tent.
My budget is 200-300$, and I need a sleeping bag in long size (Im 6'3) that would weigh as little as possible.
I was thinking about the Marmot Ultra Elite 20, but I dont realy know how to choose and would like some help.
Thanks smile

Edited by Rotem (02/10/20 04:08 PM)

#204081 - 02/11/20 03:33 AM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Rotem]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Marmot's web site lists the long length at 2lb 3.6oz (1010g), which is very light for a synthetic bag, so I'd be a little skeptical of the 20-degree rating. It would be best if you could see one in a store before buying. A 20*F bag should have about 5" (12.7cm) of overall loft.

Keep in mind that bag ratings assume you're sleeping in a tent and (I think) wearing a base layer, so you're right to be looking for a somewhat warmer bag than the coldest temperatures you expect.

What about rain? Don't you at least have to carry a tarp or bivy sack?

#204082 - 02/11/20 11:44 AM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Rotem]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I would look into a quilt. They are much better for regulating temperature. When its cold you cinch it down and stay warm. When its warm you open it up and stick limbs out until you match the desired level of insulation.

I am a big fan of my EE quilt (no other affiliation than a happy customer). You can get a 30°F apex quilt in long that weighs 24 ounces and costs $215: https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-apex-custom/

20°F quilt is just over 30 ounces and $230.

They also make it in extra long, but that is for people over 6'8"

Edited by BZH (02/11/20 11:46 AM)

#204090 - 02/12/20 11:49 AM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Rotem Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
Marmot's web site lists the long length at 2lb 3.6oz (1010g), which is very light for a synthetic bag, so I'd be a little skeptical of the 20-degree rating. It would be best if you could see one in a store before buying. A 20*F bag should have about 5" (12.7cm) of overall loft.

Keep in mind that bag ratings assume you're sleeping in a tent and (I think) wearing a base layer, so you're right to be looking for a somewhat warmer bag than the coldest temperatures you expect.

What about rain? Don't you at least have to carry a tarp or bivy sack?

Thanks for the replys!
If I see one, what should I check? I cant really tell in a store how warm it is...
What is an overall loft?
The rating assume that you're wearing a base layer (which I always wear), but not a tent.
I do sleep in a tarp when its raining, but I dont want to carry it every hike...

Edited by Rotem (02/12/20 11:52 AM)

#204091 - 02/12/20 11:51 AM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: BZH]
Rotem Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
I would look into a quilt. They are much better for regulating temperature. When its cold you cinch it down and stay warm. When its warm you open it up and stick limbs out until you match the desired level of insulation.

I am a big fan of my EE quilt (no other affiliation than a happy customer). You can get a 30°F apex quilt in long that weighs 24 ounces and costs $215: https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-apex-custom/

20°F quilt is just over 30 ounces and $230.

They also make it in extra long, but that is for people over 6'8"

To be honest, I never seen a quilt in my life... no one uses it in Israel.
Is it even comfortable? What's its advantages?

#204093 - 02/12/20 01:54 PM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Rotem]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By Rotem
What is an overall loft?

Lay out the sleeping bag on a flat surface. The overall loft is the distance between that underlying surface and the top of the sleeping bag.

#204094 - 02/12/20 02:03 PM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Rotem]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Rotem

To be honest, I never seen a quilt in my life... no one uses it in Israel.
Is it even comfortable? What's its advantages?

In a sleeping bag, the insulation underneath you is compressed and doesn't add to your warmth. A quilt eliminates that insulation so you get the same warmth with less weight. Since it is more open, it is easier to stick body parts out to regulate your temperature. I also find them less constraining and not as claustrophobic as sleeping bags. Some people have concerns about drafts in the open back of the quilt. I haven't found it a problem down to 25°F. The quilts like EE's are designed to wrap around you and you can also use the included straps to attach (and seal) them to your mattress. IMO they end up the same as a sleeping bag, but you don't carry the insulation you don't use.

Also, I have interacted (on the internet) with at least one person in Israel who uses a quilt. They are their, but they are still new. REI (major outdoor retailer in the US) recently started selling them.

Edited by BZH (02/12/20 02:09 PM)

#204119 - 02/27/20 11:31 PM Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag [Re: Rotem]
Dondo Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Hi Rotem, I happen to own the Marmot Ultra Elite 20 in the regular size and have used it quite a bit. The temperature rating is for real. Marmot gets it's bags EN tested. This one got a EN13537 lower limit rating of 22.5F and a comfort rating of 33F.

I've slept in it down to the low twenties wearing a base layer and a puffy jacket and been fine. You're a lot younger than I am and probably run hotter, so you're likely to be fine with this bag.

One reason this bag is warm for the weight is that it has an efficient cut, so you have to know if you're OK with that.

Also, the actual weight of my bag is 34.8 oz which is 2.8 over Marmot's stated weight of 32 oz.

Premium synthetic bags like this will be discounted occasionally, so if you're patient you can get a good deal. I think I paid $150 for mine.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum