Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202561 - 02/01/19 02:42 PM After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe
m1ckDELTA Offline

Loc: CA
The other option is to repair two recent tears in the wall and the rain fly. Thing is, if I choose to replace it, I'm not sure I'll be able to find a tent as well made as the Apex XT for a similar price in today's money.

Edited by m1ckDELTA (02/01/19 02:43 PM)

#202562 - 02/01/19 08:03 PM Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe [Re: m1ckDELTA]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Welcome!

It depends on what you mean by “well-made.” If you’re looking for the same materials, sewer-pipe poles, heavy-duty zippers, etc. - chances are you won’t.

But you may find “better.” Fabrics, coatings, poles, and hardware have all changed - mostly for the better - in the last 20 years, resulting in tents that look flimsy and weigh far less, but perform as well or better. I owned several Eureka tents, back in the day, including a “special edition” Timberline 2 that had two sewn-on vestibules (and weighed north of 8 pounds.) I loved that tent, but I wouldn’t trade any of the MSR Hubba tents that replaced it or the Fly Creek UL1 I’m using this weekend to get it back. They’ve all held up under harsher conditions than I ever encountered with the Timberline, and none exceeded 3 pounds (that Fly Creek is just over a pound and a half.)

I don’t know if you’ll get 20 years out of the next one; my hobby is trying out gear, so I tend to upgrade every couple years because, well.... “Ooohh, shiny!” (I don’t have a boat, mistress or other bad habits, so I guess I’m entitled to this one vice?) However, the used version gets passed on to other hikers, and I’ve encountered a few of my “old” tents on the trail 5 or 6 years later, still in great shape.

Enjoy shopping for that new tent, and feel free to ask questions here.

#202571 - 02/04/19 11:37 AM Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe [Re: m1ckDELTA]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
The last couple years I have retired two 20 year old tents not because they were ripped or broken, but because I found out at an inopportune time they were no longer rain proof. Here in California we have searing, hi-UV sun and not much rain. Longevity and those UV rays damage the fabrics and it might not be apparent. A basic function of a tent is to keep you dry when it rains and water doesn't only get in through visible holes. How sure are you that this tent is worth saving?

and I also agree with the comments above... you won't find a dinosaur like that Eureka. Much better tents are available for less (time corrected dollars).

Edited by BZH (02/04/19 02:04 PM)

#202572 - 02/04/19 12:31 PM Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe [Re: BZH]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
We’ve all had those “inopportune” moments. Just like headlamp batteries only seem to die in the dark, tents only leak in the rain. smile

#202573 - 02/04/19 01:11 PM Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe [Re: m1ckDELTA]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
After 20+ years, your tent fabric has probably deteriorated. If it smells bad, this is definitely true and the tent should be honorably retired. Set the tent up in your back yard and test it with your hose! I do that even with a new tent (not that I've bought any lately) to make sure I've seam sealed it properly. I spent one trip, when it rained every day, holding a towel up to a small gap I left in the seam sealing process, feeing like the Dutch boy and the dike!

And yes, tent technology has vastly improved in the past 20 years! Tents are far lighter and stronger.

#202574 - 02/04/19 02:06 PM Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe [Re: m1ckDELTA]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
For 7 lbs you shouod be able to find lots od well made tents at reasonable prices. Standard domes have come along way,there are good examples of this on this site. But go light if you can, and at 7lbs you can find tents that are lighter very easily.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum