Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201952 - 10/18/18 04:51 AM Backpacking chair?
jordanja
Unregistered

Do any of you guys use a portable chair? If so what are the best ones? Thanks in advance.

#201957 - 10/18/18 04:05 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: ]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
For me the best backpacking chair is a lightweight closed-cell foam pad about 15" x 10" which I put on the ground under my butt, while I lean back against my pack, which I've propped against a convenient tree or rock. This chair is extremely light, costs almost nothing because I cut the sit pad out of a disused sleeping pad, and it never breaks. It's actually pretty comfortable, too.

#201959 - 10/18/18 05:39 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's mine, too! The pad insulates you from contact with the ground, an important source of heat loss.

#201961 - 10/18/18 06:26 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Me, too. Although I’ve used the Thermarest trekker chair kits over the years, for the last three years or so, I’ve simplified to a Z-seat (closed cell sit pad) and my pack, a la Colin Fletcher: the Exos and Atmos packs I’ve used have a perimeter frame, and allow me to use a hiking pole to prop them up as a backrest. (When I started 40 years ago, I did the same thing with my external-frame packs; come to think of it, the Atmos and Exos are really high-tech external frames.)

Trees, rocks, and logs also work as a backrest.

#201965 - 10/19/18 02:50 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: ]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm quite fond of my Helinox Ground Chair. Yeah, it weighs a bit over a pound. Don't care, love the thing. Very, very comfy.

#201979 - 10/21/18 12:08 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I too have a heli ground chair..tested it out last year on a 150mile hike. used it only twice in 16 days. It was almost magical to open up and soak in the setting sun. draw backs were, no arm rests (annoying but not a deal killer for me) the killer is that the chair back doesn't have enough height to avoid the pain of waking up after 5-10 minuets of sleep with my chin resting on my chest, or tilted back. in either case, to a painful angle. on the other hand it preformed splendidly as a chair for sitting, while preparing the evenings meal. next outing I think I'll just incorporate my pack and mattress, into a chair with appropriate back height. and leave hili at home. like most any thing out there...ymmd

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (10/21/18 12:36 PM)

#201981 - 10/21/18 02:17 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
I have a backpack that is 8 inches cm deep, and ontop of that my foam sleep mat folded concertina fashion 6 times for another 4is inches. I can sit stool like anywhere on it comfortably Rest it against something for a chair.

#201982 - 10/21/18 02:47 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
"the killer is that the chair back doesn't have enough height"

I rigged a nice headrest using four pieces of velcro, some tyvek and my trekking poles. Worked great.

#201986 - 10/22/18 11:22 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Lately I've been taking my kids backpacking and unfortunately that has left no room for a chair. If I go with just peers I really enjoy having a backrest at the end of the day.

I have a Helinox Zero and an Alite Monarch Butterfly. The Helinox has 4 legs and actually weighs less than the Alite. Even with that I actually prefer the 2 legs of the Alite. It gives me the ability to infinitely adjust my recline position. I tend to believe people get too worked up over needing to use your legs for stability with the Alite Chair.

Another option to consider is the Sling Light: https://slinglight.com/sl2/orders/

Weights are similar to the Helinox and Alite but it is a much bigger chair and even has a headrest option. It trades off sitting volume by not being able to fold down very compactly. You would definitely have to strap it to the outside of your pack. They have been out of production for some time but decided to make one last run and are accepting pre-orders. I've never used one but have heard good things on various forums.

Edited by BZH (10/22/18 11:23 AM)

#201994 - 10/22/18 05:52 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: JustWalking]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
Thank you JustWalking, I'll have to try piecing something similar.

#201997 - 10/23/18 03:44 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
A closed-cell foam sit pad works for me. Cut from an old sleeping pad, or you can buy them. Also goes under my feet at night. I've sometimes carried a closed-cell pad for sleeping, and while not the most comfortable for that, it makes a great chair for lunch breaks and general loafing. The 3/4 size is long enough that you can sit on one end and use the rest of the pad for a back rest, propped up against a rock or whatever's handy.

#202008 - 10/23/18 09:32 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I have considered a chair. I'm sure it would sure be a pleasure to sit in after a long day. However the weight has always seemed prohibitive. Maybe if I were younger and going to a base camp where I was staying for a few days I would consider a chair. I use a light weight tripod chair that folds and packs nicely into a backpack. for plein air painting, but that is usually a short walk (one or two miles is all).

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.

#202017 - 10/24/18 04:23 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I backpack where bear cans are required. A small sit-pad on the bear can top, and that is my chair. If I want a back rest, then it is a sit pad on the ground and my pack as the back, the bear can horizontal on the ground, under my knees so I have a "lounge chair" of sorts.

#202019 - 10/24/18 04:35 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: wandering_daisy]

While I've found the bear canister a handy stool, I never tried using it under my knees--sounds like a great idea!

#202024 - 10/24/18 08:24 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Another single-item-with-multiple-uses idea to file away for future reference.

#202026 - 10/24/18 10:19 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: aimless]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have also used my bear can as a washing machine. Temporarily take out the food, put in clothes and solar warmed water (I do not use soap), and kick it around for about half an hour.

I tried to use the clear plastic bear can (Bear Vault) to solar bake biscuits. They did rise a bit and get a bit baked but not browned. Not very successful. I have yet to try it in my Bearikade, which is black. It actually may heat up more than the Bear Vault.

You have to put the food you took out somewhere. So do not try this if there is a serious threat of a bear coming into camp. And keep and eye on your food.

#202032 - 10/25/18 03:31 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: wandering_daisy]

Remember, while the food is outside the bear can, also to keep watch for smaller varmints such as mice, chipmunks, birds, etc., which will sneak in while your back is turned, or even as you watch! Or, on the Olympic National Park wilderness coast, aggressive raccoons (which have become far less aggressive since hard-sided canisters were required there).

I normally have used an Ursack, which of course doesn't double as a chair or washing machine, but is a lot lighter. Of course I haven't backpacked in California!, where the hard sided container is required. I also used the hard-sided canister on the Olympic coast.

#202235 - 12/06/18 10:44 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
Talthing Offline

Stansport camping stool - 1 lb even. $20 most everywhere.

#202298 - 12/13/18 10:34 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
A closed-cell foam sit pad works for me. Cut from an old sleeping pad, or you can buy them. Also goes under my feet at night. I've sometimes carried a closed-cell pad for sleeping, and while not the most comfortable for that, it makes a great chair for lunch breaks and general loafing. The 3/4 size is long enough that you can sit on one end and use the rest of the pad for a back rest, propped up against a rock or whatever's handy.

I currently use the same thing, a small piece of my 40 yr old ensolite pad. I also put the piece under my feet at night. It provides insulation, padding and also saves the seat of ones pants from abrasion, especially when sitting on rocks! It weighs probably about 5oz.

Used to use an old, aluminum beach chair. Switched to an REI Flexlite when that got worn out. Loved it except for the tendency of feet to sink into the ground.

I do miss the ability to lean back and really relax, but once in a while you can find a "friendly rock" that lets you lean back.

#202361 - 01/07/19 10:37 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
LawtonATX Offline

Loc: Texas, United States
I recently did a loop in Big Bend National Park, and access to anything to lean on was pretty much a no go. After hiking all day, all I wanted to do as I cooked was rest my back. Especially on the desert portion of the trail, there was just no way to do it. Is this a problem for anyone else? I really just don't want to carry a chair along.

#202362 - 01/07/19 11:13 AM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: LawtonATX]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By LawtonATX
I recently did a loop in Big Bend National Park, and access to anything to lean on was pretty much a no go. After hiking all day, all I wanted to do as I cooked was rest my back. Especially on the desert portion of the trail, there was just no way to do it. Is this a problem for anyone else? I really just don't want to carry a chair along.

Definitely... that is why this thread exists. I sometimes carry an Alite butterfly chair and sometimes decide to leave it home. It mostly depends on what is available at the end of the trail. I really want somewhere to rest my back at the end of a long day of hiking.

If you don't want to bring a chair, many people recommend placing there pack on the ground and using hiking poles to hold it up. With a small piece of foam for a sit pad it makes a pretty good seat.

#202371 - 01/08/19 05:56 PM Re: Backpacking chair? [Re: Anonymous]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I was looking at the Mountainsmith chair awhile back, because it's just a piece of fabric with trekking pole slots, but since I use at least one pole to hold up my shelter, it seemed unlikely I'd use it.
Maybe as a doormat inside the tarp?

Edited by DustinV (01/08/19 05:59 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum