Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201304 - 06/30/18 11:11 PM Montrail hiking shoe replacement???
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I have an excellent lightweight hiking shoe from Montrail back in their early era. I actually had three different ones from that era. Anyway, the last one I purchased is still comfortable but seriously showing its age. It will not be suitable for any extended hiking trips.

So...
I see that Montrail has apparently been bought out by Columbia and is now their brand for trail running shoes. These might be OK but I'd like to know....

How do they compare to the original Montrail by Montrail shoes?
Can one of their running shoes be suitable for lightweight backpacking (20 lbs or less carried)?

Thanks for any input....
smile

#201305 - 06/30/18 11:33 PM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: Keith]
packlite Offline

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Keith forgive me for responding without any help to offer.

I just wanted to share a similar experience. Back in late 90's I found a shoe that fit perfect and that I could use for hiking, backpacking, scrambling. Back then, at least, great gear could be here this year and gone the next. They went on sale and I bought about 12 pair! I still have several pair and still wear them - going on 20 years. Montrail Hurricane Ridge.

thanks,
charles

#201306 - 06/30/18 11:44 PM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: Keith]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just after discovering the original Montrail Hardrock, which fit me perfectly, I found out that Columbia Sportswear had bought them out in 2006. The first year or two, Columbia evidently used the same last, and the shoes worked well for me. I tried the Columbia version for a couple years after that and returned them because they didn't fit (way too big in the heel). Then Columbia discontinued the model altogether. None of the new models worked for me at all. I wrote to their customer service, who told me that one of the new models was identical to the old Hardrock. It wasn't--too wide in the heel, too narrow in the toe box! They made me so mad that I still won't buy anything from Columbia even though, for me, it's a local brand. (Their stuff is on the heavy side anyway.)

I would not count on any of the current Columbia shoes to be any relation to your old Montrails, but you could try them on. Everyone's feet are different, and mine are, admittedly, really weird.

I now have to stick with New Balance, whose SL-2 last fits my feet, having the narrow heel, wide and high toe box, antipronation and motion control features I need. It's available only in standard street runners and street walking shoes, though, so the tread is a bit skimpy for rough trails.

You might want to visit a good running shoe store (REI carries so few that I wouldn't bother there) and plan to try on a lot of different brands and models of trail runners. Unfortunately, the barefoot, zero-drop fad has hit a lot of trail runners, but there still are some that might work.

Good luck!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/30/18 11:48 PM)

#201308 - 07/01/18 02:44 AM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: packlite]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By packlite
Keith forgive me for responding without any help to offer.

I just wanted to share a similar experience. Back in late 90's I found a shoe that fit perfect and that I could use for hiking, backpacking, scrambling. Back then, at least, great gear could be here this year and gone the next. They went on sale and I bought about 12 pair! I still have several pair and still wear them - going on 20 years. Montrail Hurricane Ridge.

thanks,
charles

This can backfire on you. Years ago I was using Lowa Renegade and Klondike boots and liked them so much I bought several extra pairs when I found them on sale. I wore them a few times, then set them aside for the future. Later, after a bout with plantar fasciitis, I determined I needed to use a larger size, but I hung on to them, thinking I might still wear them occasionally. Finally, during a purge of my apartment, I decided to give them to the Goodwill, and when I got them out, still in their boxes, the midsoles had deteriorated to the extent that the soles just fell off. Big mess, nearly impossible to repair, so they basically went directly from the store to the dumpster. I'm glad you've had better luck.

#201317 - 07/01/18 06:58 PM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: OregonMouse]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Mouse,
Yeah, I think they are Hurricane Ridge.

My wife has the same model in women's. Recently she was wearing hers and a friend told her that she had used an identical pair and they were "the best hiking shoes I ever had".

Regarding Columbia's takeover...
Your results are sad but expected. Seems to be the way of things, though.
Niche focussed company makes superb products.
Demand increases.
They go mainstream.
Large company buys out founders. They use what they want of the company -- perhaps just the name and achieve "efficiencies" to bolster their bottom line.
Founders collect money, customers lose a superb product

I had hoped that maybe Columbia had managed to keep some of the Montrail magic.
frown

So...

Any other happy hiking feet alternatives??

#201322 - 07/02/18 10:05 AM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
This can backfire on you. Years ago I was using Lowa Renegade and Klondike boots and liked them so much I bought several extra pairs when I found them on sale. I wore them a few times, then set them aside for the future. Later, after a bout with plantar fasciitis, I determined I needed to use a larger size, but I hung on to them, thinking I might still wear them occasionally. Finally, during a purge of my apartment, I decided to give them to the Goodwill, and when I got them out, still in their boxes, the midsoles had deteriorated to the extent that the soles just fell off. Big mess, nearly impossible to repair, so they basically went directly from the store to the dumpster. I'm glad you've had better luck.
Modern shoes often use polyurethane foam in the midsole. It's inexpensive and saves on manufacturing cost, a savings that is passed on to the customer. The downside is that it degrades over time. I guess this works out for most folks, since people generally don't keep their shoes that long anyway, but it's a real problem for those of us that want our investment to last.

#201324 - 07/02/18 11:34 PM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
True; it now looks as though I need to get my shoes a half size longer. Not only do shoe models change; feet change! The last pair of the old Hardrocks I bought up before they disappeared is still brand new, but my toes are pushing the end a bit. I'll try thinner socks, to see if they'll still worker a while longer.

One thing I've noticed is that evidently it's expected that most buyers of running, etc., shoes will replace the insoles provided with the shoe with insoles of their own. This may be fine (I use green Superfeet which have effectively prevented a recurrence of my nasty bout of plantar fasciitis some years back), but it provides a second fitting issue in addition to just the shoes. In other words, just because the New Balance SL-2/Green Superfeet combo works for my weird feet (bunions, hammertoes, extra narrow heels) doesn't mean they will work for anyone else!

#201834 - 10/01/18 07:55 AM Re: Montrail hiking shoe replacement??? [Re: OregonMouse]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
If you have normal width feet then would recommend a pair of Salomon Speedcross 4's...They now do a wider fit version for those with wider feet. Best all-terrain grip from any show I have every worn, light, breathable and very comfortable for hiking in, plus they seem to be quite hard wearing. Have walked hundreds of miles in them and a quick wipe with a damp cloth and they almost look like new again. They are not cheap but I would say in this case, you get what you pay for!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum