Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198349 - 05/13/17 03:47 PM Is The Sawyer Mini Enough?
ableright Offline

So I'm newer to backpacking. I posted a question recently about my gear selection and got a lot of help here. I've been using the Sawyer Mini here in Montana where I live backpacking. The Spring Runoff is bad this year. It's also causing a lot of junk, debris, and probably bacteria to get into the water in creeks I backpack along.

I'm sort of paranoid or fearful of illnesses on the trail. The ticks are also really, really, bad this year. I really don't want any tick-borne illnesses so I've treated my clothing with Permithirn which has worked well for me. Now what about water?

I've researched CDC articles on the topic and the only surefire way to treat water for complete bacteriological safety is boiling. Boiling is such a pain. I've also thought about Purchasing a Grayl Water Bottle which is a purifier. I do like how convenient the sawyer mini is, but there appears to be certain diseases the CDC says filters won't handle well at all.

Many of these diseases are viral but not all of them. In the Northwest do I need to worry about waterborne diseases outside of what the sawyer mini won't take care of? What's your experience with this?

#198350 - 05/13/17 05:56 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: ableright]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If you are careful not to cross-contaminate your filtered water with unfiltered water, a Sawyer Mini should reliably remove bacteria, even when it is numerous enough that unfiltered water could cause you problems.

If there are likely to be cattle grazing upstream from where you pull your water, then bacteria might be plentiful. In the high mountains where snowmelt is the primary source of water, I would not worry much about bacteria at all. Large volumes of water will tend to dilute bacteria in any event. Natural springs, a few feet from their source, provide much the safest water out there.

In the high mountain west, I'd try to be aware of any potential problems with polluted runoff from old mining tailings. A filter won't really solve that for you. The Rockies and the Sierra have many old mines. The Cascades, being volcanic, have very few old mines to worry about.

#198351 - 05/14/17 09:40 AM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: ableright]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
If this has you really worried, you could use both filtration and chemicals. So after filtration, something like aqua mira or other formulation of chlorine dioxide. I think I've done this a couple of times tops in a lot of backpacking, but there are a lot of variables at work. It's not enough for someone to say "I've done X and not gotten ill so you'll be fine doing X too" --- just not enough data to really know from something like that.

Still ... I think that as a rule of thumb in the U.S., either (proper) filtration or chemical treatment is likely enough.

One of the tough things here is the incubation period; you generally don't get sick from a waterborne pathogen right away, or rather, you don't experience symptoms. Of those who do get ill, while some might opine that they "know" just what it was that got them sick, I think generally they don't know. And there's always the speculation that they might have gotten sick from other hygiene issues --- most commonly speculated as something like "shared food with someone who didn't clean their hands properly after using the toilet".

#198352 - 05/14/17 10:26 AM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: BrianLe]
bluefish Offline

I've used the mini-Sawyer in a lot of diverse environments from the Canadian Rockies to desert mts. , to swamps and the bogs of the Northeast. Though I was careful with it's use, I've never worried, never been sick. Greatest worry for me was along the AT and in the Sierra, where trail use is very high.

#198389 - 05/27/17 10:34 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: ableright]
WKerber Offline

I've used the Sawyer mini for several years in South Carolina without issue. I just pick up a Katadyn Befree filter to try, but no experience yet. I've seen decent reviews on it so far. I'm optimistic, since the flow appears to be faster.

#198395 - 05/29/17 03:38 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: BrianLe]
41253 Offline

I have one I've taken on maybe ten 2-day trips. The flow has reduced quite a bit even though I'm not aware of running any particularly dirty water (put intended). This last trip it was very slow, I had to backflush every other litre to get anything out of it at all. I'll probably pick up a Saywer Squeeze before my next trip in a few weeks but am stubbornly trying to clear it with hot water and vinegar soaks just to see if it's possible. If I do give up on it I might cut it open to see what's inside and if any obstructions are visible.

#198397 - 05/29/17 03:56 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: 41253]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I tend to backflush my mini each day while I'm on a trip and again when I get home before storing it. It's not that I am filtering particularly dirty water, but when the porosity of the filter is a couple of microns, it will trap particles not visible to the eye. My frequent backflushing seems to keep it happy.

#198704 - 07/08/17 06:29 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: aimless]
41253 Offline

I restored my Mini to pretty good shape with several alternating warm water and vinegar treatments. I recently took it on a Grand Canyon trip in late June - early July and conclude that it's fine as a backup but insufficient for hot-weather full-time use. Where we were hiking in the Grand Canyon there was plenty of excellent tap water readily available which we drank a lot of all day long. I took one side trip up Phantom Creek and gave up my tap water to a couple who had run out and were taking a break in one of the few shady spots on the main trail. I immediately filled my bag with clear creek water and started trying to sip from the Mini attached to the bag. There were two problems with that approach: First, I was consuming a lot of water in the July heat and I practically had to stop walking to squeeze the bag to get a decent flow. Second, carrying the bag with the filter attached put a lot of stress on the top of the bag by the screw top no matter how I held it.

The Mini is fine in winter, but before I go out again in the summer I'll get something like the Squeeze.

Edited by 41253 (07/09/17 02:36 PM)

#199732 - 12/07/17 07:30 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: ableright]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
So far it has been fine for me. I have been backing it up with a Steri Pen however for viruses. I am not happy with the weight of the thing though, so next year it stays home and I will add something like chlorine tabs for other issues. I am however hyper-careful.
Oh...I may try and figure out a way to fit a pre-filter. I have a new, not terribly efficient filter from a Coghlan pump system (although I do not have the pump) which might work as a pre-filter. But I am hyper careful.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/08/17 04:37 PM)

#199749 - 12/11/17 06:57 PM Re: Is The Sawyer Mini Enough? [Re: EMT Dave]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I have one that I dont use anymore. I went with the squeeze. Carrying the extra 2 ounces is worth it. It filter a lot faster

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum