Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184488 - 04/14/14 01:34 PM Sleeping Pad Suggestions
UT_Explorer Offline

I'm in the market for a new sleeping pad for backpacking, and there seems to be every option out there EXCEPT for what I'm looking for.

I'm 6 feet tall, and I normally start out sleeping on my back, but I also toss and turn A LOT, and I often find myself on my side as the night progresses (or often completely off my pad.) Given these reasons, I'm looking for a pad wider than the conventional 20 inches. I know there are some 25 inch wide options out there, but I also have a tough time justifying buying a pad 77 or 78 inches long. It's frustrating that they don't make more "wide" pads that are "regular" length.

Does anyone know of any wide/regular length pads in the market? Thanks for any suggestions!

#184491 - 04/14/14 01:51 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: UT_Explorer]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I recently read that Exped now has a M/W pad, i.e. wide pad in "medium" length. Not knowing what "medium" length is, after reading your post, I looked at their website. So far, this size is only in the Synmat UL7. Specs show 72" long and 26" wide, weight 20 oz. Not bad for a wide pad, and sounds like just the size you're looking for! The MW size also comes in their regular Synmat, but that of course is a lot heavier.

I just bought an Exped Downmat UL7 (similar pad but different insulation) and so far really like it (it's in short and narrow, fine for me). And what with my increasingly creaky body (age), I'm really particular about what I sleep on. With the Schnozzle inflator (required for down insulation) and the patch kit, my Downmat weighs about the same as the MW Synmat UL.

People have shortened wide NeoAirs, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk cutting up something that expensive! If you can afford it, I suggest you try the new MW Synmat UL. If nothing else, you'll be encouraging the market for shorter wide sleeping pads!

The other good thing about the Exped pads is that the outside tubes are slightly bigger than the others, which really helps to keep you from rolling off!

If you get one, be sure to try it out on the floor at home for a few nights while you can still return it. Sleeping is a very individual activity, and you need to find a pad that suits you!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/14/14 05:02 PM)

#184498 - 04/14/14 06:03 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: OregonMouse]
UT_Explorer Offline

Thanks for the reply! That does look like a great pad. I had looked into some of the Exped pads but hadn't seen any medium/wides until now. It's definitely a little pricier than I was hoping for, but I'm sure it's worth it. Decent r-value too.

I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before more brands start producing MW pads. It seems as if the demand is there.

My old pad is a Thermarest Trail Pro. It's ridiculously durable, but it's on the heavy side and it seems like every time I use it, it becomes less comfortable. I'm sure I'll never even consider going back to a 20 inch pad after I own something wider.

#184501 - 04/15/14 12:23 AM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: UT_Explorer]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
OregonMouse always gives excellent advice. I enjoy reading her posts.

I have a recommendation that you might find interesting. Cascade Designs (the company I rep for in the Rocky Mtns) last year introduced a new sleeping bag for side sleepers. Working with ex-Feather Friends designers, they came up with a unique bag that they felt wasn't currently being addressed in the outdoor market. According to their research 70% of people prefer to sleep on their side, not their back. Most mummy bags would have you move with the bag which can be quite claustrophobic. In my past backcountry sleeping experiences I would wrestle with my Marmot Hydrogen which resulted in me sliding off my pad. I had to figure out how not to move at night or if I did move and finally got into a position I was comfortable in, I would find that I had slid off the pad again. I would then have to fight my way back on thus losing, again, my comfortable position. It was frustrating and made a tough sleeping arrangement even tougher.

The new sleeping bags have "SynergyLink" bands that hold the pad to the bottom of the sleeping bag. Unlike a 'sleeve' found in other bags, these bands allow for 20" or 25" wide pads (sleeves only allow for 20" wide pads for most backpacking sleeping bag models), but yet allow the user to move like they would in a normal sleeping bag, meaning you can bend your knees, sit up, etc. However the best part of these bands is that they accommodate side sleepers better than any other bag/pad combination currently available. By having the bands attach about 6 inches underneath the bag, as the person moves to their side, the side of the sleeping bag moves up towards the body thus eliminating any dead air space. A 'sleeve' system creates a 'teepee' effect which creates dead-air space, the enemy to the design of a mummy bag. As result they simply cannot maintain their temperature rating.

The other great thing is the pad doesn't ever slip out from underneath you. The sleeping bag also stays in the exact same position as when you first got into the bag with the zipper in the same place as well (I hate sleeping on the zipper). This bag allows you to use a 20" wide pad without worry of falling off. It also allows for a 25" pad if you prefer. I found that it's really easy to get the pad through the bands. The 20 degree bag (Thermarest Antares) weighs in at lb 15oz for the regular size and packs down super small. It has 750 down fill.

As far as a pad goes, the NeoAir Trekker could be an option. It's comfortable, light, packs small, and retails for $129. Cascade Designs does make it in a 25 X 48" size. I personally would love to see a 25 X 72 size. The other sizes are regular (20 X 72) and large (25 X 77).

You can check out the rest of the bags and pads on www.cascadedesigns.com and click on the Thermarest link.

I hope this helps you in your search to find the perfect solution for sleeping in the backcountry.

#184503 - 04/15/14 01:02 AM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: jasonlivy]
OregonMouse Offline

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad to hear that Exped isn't the only one making shorter 25" wide pads. I know there's a big demand for wide and short pads! With that 25 x 48" NeoAir pad, you can always take a piece of CCF foam pad to put under your legs and feet--so that's a second option for UT_Explorer.

Just as a personal issue for me, the various NeoAirs and I are not compatible. I tried really hard for about 9 months to use the original NeoAir. Despite a lot of trial and error, I could never find the "sweet spot" (it was always either too hard or so soft my hip was on the ground), and the horizontal tubes "bucked me off" every time I moved. In addition, I learned from childhood always to take the sleeping bag with me when I turn over. With any setup having the pad tied to the sleeping bag, I'd end up halfway through the night with the pad on top! And I'm not about to give up my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag!

This of course is a very personal thing; lots of folks love the NeoAir, and that's great for those who can use it. Sleeping comfort is definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation.

#184507 - 04/15/14 06:15 AM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: jasonlivy]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Thanks, Jason; lots of good info.

I'd been wondering how those bags worked - the diagram on the website left me wondering whether a slde sleeper ended up with extra air to heat up.

The one thing I've never understood about bag-and-pad combos (mostly Big Agnes, until now) is how you slept on your side without rolling the bag - every time I tried, I ended up with my face in the side of the hood, and one ear out in the brisk night air. Is there a trick to doing this, or is the Antares bag designed a bit different to allow this?

I picked up TR Alpine down blanket on closeout - had been wanting to try an actual quilt (versus using my WM Mitylite unzipped as a quilt.) I'm hoping to get it out for a try later this month. I figured using a hooded down jacket (if temperatures slipped just below its rating) would add the hood feature, and would keep the hood on my head if I rolled to my side. I'm anxious to give it a try (with my 40th Anniversary T-Rest - heavy, but comfortable and warm); this may end up being a nostalgia trip if I dig out some other oldie-but-goodie gear!

#184510 - 04/15/14 11:17 AM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Thanks, Jason! I'm glad to hear that Exped isn't the only one making shorter 25" wide pads. I know there's a big demand for wide and short pads! With that 25 x 48" NeoAir pad, you can always take a piece of CCF foam pad to put under your legs and feet--so that's a second option for UT_Explorer.

Just as a personal issue for me, the various NeoAirs and I are not compatible. I tried really hard for about 9 months to use the original NeoAir. Despite a lot of trial and error, I could never find the "sweet spot" (it was always either too hard or so soft my hip was on the ground), and the horizontal tubes "bucked me off" every time I moved. In addition, I learned from childhood always to take the sleeping bag with me when I turn over. With any setup having the pad tied to the sleeping bag, I'd end up halfway through the night with the pad on top! And I'm not about to give up my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag!

This of course is a very personal thing; lots of folks love the NeoAir, and that's great for those who can use it. Sleeping comfort is definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation.

This just underscores how important it is to try different things before you buy them. Those pads are expensive, well over $100, and my wife and I love them. But not everyone does...and spending $100+ on something that doesn't work is a sure way to make you feel like backpacking less, instead of more.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#184514 - 04/15/14 06:17 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Offline

As a recovering gearaholic, I feel the pain of feeling like I want to backpack less because there's just too much to choose from, and each thing is almost, but not quite, Perfect.

It's enough to make you say "the hell with it" and go back to a tarp, sleeping bag, blue foam pad, and Svea stove! smile

You're right, there is enough variety, each with its own peculiarities, that you do have to try it out (mail order is great, but the local outfitter lets you see it, touch it, lie down on it...) It's a far cry from 30 years ago, as you and I both remember, when you adapted to the limited assortment of gear that was available.

#184517 - 04/15/14 07:39 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: UT_Explorer]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I didn't see this addressed in my quick skimming of other people's replies, but you can shorten mats. If you search around you can find instructions on how to do this. It basically involves chopping your mat to size and then re-sealing it with an iron. Your standard iron for ironing clothes will work.

#184520 - 04/15/14 08:17 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Offline

I mentioned that, too--but do note that it voids the warranty!

#184521 - 04/15/14 09:08 PM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: UT_Explorer]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Just because no one else has mentioned it: would a hammock be a viable option for you? (From the "what box?" department)

I don't use hammocks, but I'll at least toss the idea out there for you.

#185426 - 05/28/14 11:16 AM Re: Sleeping Pad Suggestions [Re: UT_Explorer]
The Chef Offline

Look no further than Big agnes
SL insulated
it is the red quilted one
About 4 inches thick
inflatable
very comfortable.
at 16 oz I sacrifice the weight for a better nights sleep

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum