Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182050 - 01/17/14 12:16 PM Klymit Pad
cindypilot Offline

I'm slowly collecting gear for my 1st time & overnight hiking trip. Plan on hiking solo on the Buffalo National River Trail my 1st time out on 1-2 night hike. Being military I get a discount on certain venders & was wondering if anybody has tried these products or do you have another suggestion for the price:
Klymit Insulated Static V Pad for $53 plus $12 shipping
Klymit PIllow X $19
Currently have a North Facce Lynx sleeping bag only rated to 40 degrees F but can get the Klymit KSB20 sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees F for $120 will it be worth the $ getting a new sleeping bag?
I have an old coleman external frame I have never used but plan on getting a pack that fits & was thinking about the Gregory Deva 70 & I for $210 plus shipping.
I'm not too worried about weight but being a 45 year old female I want to go light without spending a fortune. Who knows I may do it once & never hike again but then again I may love it! For my tent I have a Light Year 1 that I have used a few times on overnight kayak trips but also thinking about getting a 2 person tent so I can put my gear in the tent however the lightyear seems to be very warm on the river with my current sleeping bag & cheap Kelty sleep pad but then it was also summer time. I would like to do this hike in February. Any suggestions? I can also get deals on Big Agnes, Sierra Design, Mountain Smith, Nemo, & MHM.

#182055 - 01/17/14 12:48 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Get your pack last, figure out the gear that suits you then take the gear with you to a store and try out several packs. Packs are like shoes, what works for one doesn't mean it will work for you. It also good to know your torso length before you go in.

Try your gear in your back yard or car camping first. This way if a item doesn't work for you you either substitute it for something else.

Good luck and enjoy your trips.

Oh and welcome to backpacking.net!

#182056 - 01/17/14 01:15 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Cindy, welcome to The Lightweight Backkpacker! Check out the articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left hand column. You'll find all sorts of advice on gear selection and other aspects of backpacking there.

Another good article for beginners is this one by an experienced thru-hiker who is also an instructor for Andew Skurka:

Edited by OregonMouse (01/17/14 01:19 PM)

#182071 - 01/17/14 04:23 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
What about getting a quilt?
There a cottage manufacturer out there that has a solo tent that big enough to hold your gears inside the tent. Lightheartgear.com or something like that. I threw out couple cottage companies so you can compare their prices to the deals you can get.

And welcome aboard!

#182076 - 01/17/14 06:05 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: ETSU Pride]

Lots of lightweight solo tents out there!

I always suggest that folks start their search with www.tarptent.com. I started with their Squall II (34 oz.) model back in late 2005. By now Henry Shires has so many models I can't keep track of them all! He has several solo models, some of them double-wall, all under 2 lbs.

Lightheart, as ETSU says, is another popular brand. So is Six Moon Designs (which has a very similar tent).

For a truly lightweight solo tent, ZPacks still has everyone beat, although since their tents are cuben fiber they cost a lot of $$$.

All these are fully enclosed tents with bathtub floors and bug netting.

#182079 - 01/17/14 07:34 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: OregonMouse]

OOPS, in my earlier post I gave you the wrong article from PMags. Please read this one first!

Although I also recommend the one I originally posted!

#182106 - 01/18/14 02:26 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: OregonMouse]
cindypilot Offline

Thanks for the articles, great information! After reading one of the articles I think we are going with the Kelty 20 Dri Down sleeping bags. Still up in the air on the sleeping pads will probably check some out today at the local outdoors store. Haven't really researched the quilts & first I have heard of them but really leaning towards the sleeping pad. Also plan on looking at backpacks today & its overwhelming the information on backpacks. Plan on checking out the Osprey because they are lighter than Gregory but from what I read the fit is more important than the weight of the pack.

#182107 - 01/18/14 03:26 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]

On the sleeping pad:
(1) Unless all your trips are in warm weather, you'll need insulation. Recommended for 20*F nights is an R value of close to 5. A lot of failures attributed to sleeping bags are really due to an insufficiently insulated pad. (Been there, done that.)

(2) Try it out on the floor of the store. When you get home with it, spend at least 1 night on the floor at home on the pad in your sleeping bag (if too warm, unzip bag and use as a quilt). Be sure the pad is comfortable while you can still return it. A lot of "established" campsites have ground that's even harder than a bare floor, if that's possible!

(3) At least with the original Klymit pads, the gaps in it may or may not match your body. I'd give it 2 nights on the floor to be sure it works for you.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/18/14 03:29 PM)

#182126 - 01/18/14 10:23 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]
rockchucker22 Offline

Osprey makes a very nice pack, and the warranty is top notch. Look at the Exos line for light weight.

#182151 - 01/20/14 01:47 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: cindypilot]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By cindypilot
... Who knows I may do it once & never hike again but then again I may love it! ...

The base I work at rents hiking equipment for a pretty reasonable price. It is a cheap way to find out if you like doing the sport.

#182153 - 01/20/14 02:51 PM Re: Klymit Pad [Re: BZH]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
Originally Posted By cindypilot
... Who knows I may do it once & never hike again but then again I may love it! ...

The base I work at rents hiking equipment for a pretty reasonable price. It is a cheap way to find out if you like doing the sport.
great point!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum