Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175699 - 03/11/13 01:00 AM The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
I thought I'd present a review that might be of interest here, a review of a remote canister stove that can handle running with the canister upside down.

Why might anyone care about which way the canister points? Well, running with the canister upside down gives one about a 20 Fahrenheit degree cold weather advantage over conventional upright canister stoves (when using an isobutane/propane mix).

So, if you like canister gas stoves but want something that can handle a little bit colder weather, the Kovea Spider is worth checking out.

Inverted canister stoves are a lightweight alternative to liquid fueled (gasoline or kerosene) stoves in cold weather. Not only are they lighter, but they're more mechanically reliable. In my latest blog post, I review a good one, the Kovea Spider.

I've found it to be a really nice, compact stove.

The Monatauk Gnat (left) and the Kovea Spider (right)

For the future, I'd like to see Kovea do more to lighten the 5.9oz/168g Spider stove. I'd like to see a good remote canister stove down in the four ounce range, but this is such a nice little stove that it's hard to complain.

The diminutive Kovea Spider

There is a lighter, by about 3/4 ounce, stove on the market, the FMS-118 Volcano, but there have been some complaints about the Volcano sputtering when in inverted canister mode, and I don't think the Volcano packs down anywhere near as small. I can get the Kovea Spider and a 110g canister of gas into either my 780ml Snow Peak pot or my MSR Titan kettle.

A Kovea Spider inside an MSR Titan Kettle

If this sounds interesting, here's the full review: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove. Have a look if you like.

HJ

#175700 - 03/11/13 07:34 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin Jim]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
Happy with my current stove but I have to tell you that is a well crafted review. I like that you included a lot of good, close up, pics. Words are great but many reviewers don't bother to really let you see the product details.

Of course now you've got me pondering if I need to upgrade laugh

#175706 - 03/11/13 12:57 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin Jim]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Thanks for posting such a great review.

Unrelated to the review, I've noticed a lot of pictures with the stove stored in the pot. I have always been concerned with any drops of fuel left in the system to do this. Is this a valid concern or am I missing some step that takes care of it?

Thanks! grin

#175709 - 03/11/13 04:09 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Heather-ak]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I don't think it's a problem with canister stoves, since there's no liquid involved and the fuel canister is self-sealing. I regularly store both the stove and canister inside the pot. (Many such kits, like the Jetboil, are designed to do that; given product liability issues, I'm thinking they wouldn't package it that way if there were any doubts.)

When I briefly used an alcohol stove, it was a Trangia, and the screw-on gasketed lid handled the problem rather neatly. However, I still put the "sealed" stove in a ziploc bag before putting it in the pot.

I never stored my white gas stove in a pot, even in a ziploc, for exactly the reason you state.

But that's just me - but I've been married a long time, so I'm used to being wrong. smile

#175710 - 03/11/13 04:13 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: LoneStranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By LoneStranger
Happy with my current stove but I have to tell you that is a well crafted review. I like that you included a lot of good, close up, pics. Words are great but many reviewers don't bother to really let you see the product details.
Thanks, LoneStranger. I'm trying to do reviews that dig a little deeper than the superfluous fluffery that some "mainstream" publications churn out.

Originally Posted By LoneStranger
Of course now you've got me pondering if I need to upgrade laugh
What are you using currently, and what are you using it for?

HJ

#175711 - 03/11/13 04:15 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Heather-ak]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
Thanks for posting such a great review.

Unrelated to the review, I've noticed a lot of pictures with the stove stored in the pot. I have always been concerned with any drops of fuel left in the system to do this. Is this a valid concern or am I missing some step that takes care of it?

Thanks! grin
With gas stoves, I don't consider it a problem. The vapor will just waft away in the breeze. With white gasoline or kerosene, I usually store the stove outside the pot.

HJ

#175712 - 03/11/13 05:05 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin Jim]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Okay - thanks to you both, that makes sense! It is all in relation to what you have / are used to. We always have had liquid fuel for our stoves (not butane, propane or any mix thereof), so it was baffling me.

Thank you for clearing it up cool

#175713 - 03/11/13 05:08 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Glenn Roberts]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I did the same with a Trangia and it worked splendidly until the gasket developed a crack. We then had a situation where the methyl alcohol seeped into the cooking pot, but evaporated, evidently leaving some nasties behind. We cooked in that pot one evening at base camp. Two of us were OK, but a gorgeous young lady to whom I was showing the ropes was unable to continue. She was able to descend the next day and recovered. I attribute her illness to the residue from the evaporated alcohol in the cook pot, although a definitive diagnosis was never made. Too bad, could have been a beautiful relationship...

#175715 - 03/11/13 05:15 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
I did the same with a Trangia and it worked splendidly until the gasket developed a crack. We then had a situation where the methyl alcohol seeped into the cooking pot, but evaporated, evidently leaving some nasties behind. We cooked in that pot one evening at base camp. Two of us were OK, but a gorgeous young lady to whom I was showing the ropes was unable to continue. She was able to descend the next day and recovered. I attribute her illness to the residue from the evaporated alcohol in the cook pot, although a definitive diagnosis was never made. Too bad, could have been a beautiful relationship...
Descending and feeling better sounds like it was altitude related, although with methyl alcohol, it's good to be careful.

I don't worry as much with alcohol because a) it evaporates pretty quickly and cleanly and b) my pot isn't particularly absorbent. smile Still, I typically do carry my Trangia in a Ziploc if there's fuel inside.

HJ

#175718 - 03/11/13 10:12 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

As an adjunct to my earlier post, I just put up a blog post on cooking with the new Kovea Spider. Have a look if you like.

HJ

#175733 - 03/13/13 09:30 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin Jim]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Man, that looks good. smile

#175761 - 03/14/13 12:03 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: finallyME]
Hikin Jim Offline

It was good. smile

Remote canister stoves are a nice option for people who want to do a little bit more serious cooking. They're more stable and you can really screen them from wind, both of which are important for more sensitive cooking.

HJ

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum