Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171551 - 11/06/12 01:38 PM Wash and treat down sleeping bag
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I know there have been threads on this topic (feel free to point me in the right direction).
1) What product do you use to clean your down sleeping bag? What was the outcome?
2) Hand wash or front loader?
3) What do you treat your bag with to make it water resistant? What was the outcome?
I'm getting ready to wash and treat several down bags and since they're all WM bags I want to do it right.

#171563 - 11/06/12 03:03 PM Re: Wash and treat down sleeping bag [Re: rionada]
Brotherbob12 Offline

Loc: Sweden
1 I use Nikwax Downwash. The bag gets clean.
2. Hand wash in big tub and spin slow in the washing machine. Then tumble dryer.
3. I dont treat it. If I need weather resistance i use a bivy.

The tricky part is the dryer. I use a large dryer on low heat with some tennis balls thrown in. A winter bag takes VERY long time to dry. I had mine in for about 6 hours. If it is not in there long enough the down will clump together and the bag will loose some insulation.
Be very careful when handling a wet down bag. Baffle and stitching are delicate and more so if itīs a UL bag.

#171564 - 11/06/12 03:13 PM Re: Wash and treat down sleeping bag [Re: rionada]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have washed my WM Ultralite in our front-loader, IIRC using Nikwax down cleaner. IMO any proven down soap will do.

Turned it inside-out, as the liner doesn't seem to be DWR treated and absorbs water more readily. Used gentle cycle (because I R smurrt) and additional rinse cycles afterwards to maximize soap removal. Dried it turned right-side out because the shell is tougher and to renew the DWR finish. The dryer heat accomplishes this.

It seems to take awhile--days--for the down to completely dry and declump. I like to do this in summer so I can put the bag (or whatever) out in the hot sun to help drying and minimize the potential wear from the dryer.

Have never bothered with DWR sprays, but if after washing and running through a dryer water doesn't bead on the shell, it's probably worth a shot. The Gore spray seems to work on rainshells, so probably works on bags. Just don't soak the fill.

I don't do this often but have never regretted it, as the bag is always loftier after washing, not to mention smelling better.

Cheers,

#171567 - 11/06/12 03:57 PM Re: Wash and treat down sleeping bag [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I followed exactly the instructions on the Western Mountaineering website for product care, including using the Revivex down soap and DWR spray that they recommend.

My DIL has an extra large capacity front-loading washer and dryer, both with extra-delicate cycles, so I used those. With any machine, be sure to run a cycle or two with only water to get all the detergent out before you start. I cleaned the slot where the detergent is put in and then ran two full cycles to be sure (I could still see some suds at the end of the first cycle).

It took about 9 hours including the water-only cycles to remove detergent at the start, so if you go to the laundromat, take a big book, like War and Peace, plus tons of quarters. Be sure you find a machine with a delicate cycle, check the inside for snags and do extra rinses.

The WM website also describes how to hand wash in the bathtub, which is more work but at least saves hours of boredom at the laundromat!

You can also send it to an outfit that specializes in washing down sleeping bags, such as Rainy Pass in Seattle.

My sleeping bag ended up loftier than it was when I bought it!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/06/12 04:04 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum