Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148975 - 04/07/11 02:43 PM Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent
vthokies364 Offline

Loc: Blacksburg, VA
I understand backpacking with a two-person tent would not be considered "lite," but I have a a few quick questions.

-Has anyone backpacked with this tent?
-How was the experience?
-Does it seem rather heavy?
-Did you split the load with someone else?
-Is it far too much for one person to carry?
-Is backpacking with a 2 person tent completely out of the question?

Thanks.

#148976 - 04/07/11 03:46 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I can only speak to your last two questions: "Is it far too much for one person to carry?" and "Is backpacking with a 2-person tent entirely out of the question?" My answer assumes that you mean you are not sharing the tent with a second person.

I don't think it's too much for one person to carry, or out of the question. Back in the "good old days" (?), when ultralight meant 30 pounds for a weekend, a lot of us carried two-person tents for single-person use, and thought nothing of it - there just weren't very many solo tents available. Even after a few did become available, and I got one, most of my hiking buddies didn't - they liked the extra room in the 2-man tent, and weren't willing to give it up to save a "mere" 2 pounds. So it's all a matter of perspective and preference.

If you're happy with the tent, and you're willing to carry it, it's perfectly fine (and I don't even know what that particular model looks like or weighs.) If you're looking for the lightest possible load, you'll want a solo tent - or less - and this tent probably isn't your personal best choice. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a 2-man tent if it pleases you to do so. Hiking lightweight is an option, not an obligation.

#148978 - 04/07/11 04:14 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
A lot of people (myself included) backpack with a two-man tent. Its nice to have a bit of shoulder room and places to put things. I've come across multiple people that recommend a two-man tent. A one-man tent can get a bit claustrophobic.

Specs I found show the Marmot Twilight weighs 5 lbs 9 oz with all the bells and whistles so it is a bit heavier than some two-man tents out there but it is certainly doable. My tent weighs 4lbs (Kelty Ridge 2) and I'm overweight and out of shape. There is a good discussion (I think its in the Philosophy forum) that says the most important thing is to get out there and not worry about every gram. 20-30 years ago people would have loved to get a 5lb tent.

#148983 - 04/07/11 06:35 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use a 2-person tent for solo trips. Since my dog shares my tent, a solo tent just isn't big enough. Actually, I have two of them. However, the two tents are quite lightweight. The Tarptent Squall 2, which I use for short trips because it's roomier, is 34 oz. It was my first lightweight tent. I also use this tent when going out with a grandchild, which is why I kept it. The Gossamer Gear Squall Classic (Tarptent-designed), which I use for longer trips, is 26 oz. It's really more of a 1 1/2 person tent--I'd hate to try to squeeze two adults into it!! A lot of big/tall folk prefer a two-person tent for more space. Really tall folk may need to sleep on the diagonal of a 2-person tent. Many others backpack with a partner part of the time and either can't afford or just don't want to buy more than one tent. There's nothing wrong with any of these situations!

Assuming that you are considering a purchase, you might want to look for something lighter. However, I think the real questions have been posed by Glenn and BZH--are you happy with this tent, and are you willing to carry the weight? Only you can answer these questions!

That being said, when you're shopping for tents, be sure to note the slope of the door. You want to be able to get in and out of the tent while it's raining without any rain falling inside. It's also nice to be able to keep the fly/vestibule door at least part way open in a rainstorm for more ventilation. It's amazing how many tents have an unprotected screen door sloping outward at the bottom to save space!

A few suggestions that came to mind as I looked at the Twilight online: I notice that a gear loft and footprint are included. IMHO, these are unnecessary, so you can leave these home and probably save close to a pound. If you really want to have something under your tent (I never do), a piece of plastic (painters drop cloth or, better, the quite durable but lightweight polycro used in plastic storm window kits) will be a lot lighter than a footprint and work just as well. Just be sure to cut the plastic about 1.5 to 2 inches smaller than the tent floor on each side, so it won't funnel water under your tent. Also, unless you will use this tent for two people part of the time, you really do not need two doors. Consider a model that has only one door.

If you already own this tent, are happy with it and don't mind the weight, though, just ignore all the above. Get out and enjoy it!

There are some great articles on gear selection on the home page of this site.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/07/11 06:38 PM)

#149014 - 04/08/11 09:47 AM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: OregonMouse]
vthokies364 Offline

Yes, I am considering a purchase. The person selling is only asking for 100 dollars, which is why I am so interested in this tent. Also, what do you all suggest I check for when I go look at the tent? What are some typical problem areas that arise with used tents? Thanks.

#149022 - 04/08/11 10:59 AM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
BZH Offline

Check the zipper!! I think that is the biggest problem I have seen with used tents. Also, look for holes in the mesh and check the zipper. Additionally, you should check the zipper.

Actually, I'll give you a hint. I once replaced a tent because the teeth would split apart after I zipped it up. I later found out, you can fix this quite easily. Problem is caused when the part of the zipper that brings the teeth together widens from use. Take a pair of pliers and squeeze it together a little bit on both sides of the zipper and will work fine. Of course if you do this often enough, at some point in time, the zipper will break.

#149023 - 04/08/11 11:03 AM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
BZH Offline

For about the same price, you can get this two-man Kelty brand new and it weighs a pound less:

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain.asp...esa+2+Tent+2010

#149030 - 04/08/11 12:46 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I use a two man tent all the time just for myself using the Tarptent Cloudburst. The extra room, for me, is clearly worth the extra oz. I can fit everything inside with me (except the food bag of course.)

#149032 - 04/08/11 02:02 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: OldScout]
Glenn Offline

I'm assuming you mean that there's plenty of room for the food bag, but it gets a little tight with the bear? wink

#149035 - 04/08/11 04:36 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: Glenn]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
No, Mr. Smartypants, I said what I meant because I DON'T have my food bag in my tent but rather it hangs from a tree. (Actually, your comment is pretty funny because I added the comment about the food bag BECAUSE I didn't want someone to hop all over me saying that one should NEVER put EVERYTHING in the tent.) Have a great weekend everybody. Rain in the forecast. Again. Yahoo.

#149044 - 04/08/11 07:46 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: OldScout]
Glenn Offline

Gee, I hang my food because my tent gets a bit crowded with the raccoon. wink

You have a good weekend, too - get out and enjoy a walk in the rain!

#149049 - 04/08/11 08:16 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
There's a TarpTent Moment for sale over in the For Sale section. I'd have snapped it up if I needed a one man tent - if it is in your price range, it should be a good deal, as it appears to be in good condition.

YMMV

#149070 - 04/09/11 01:29 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Originally Posted By vthokies364
I understand backpacking with a two-person tent would not be considered "lite," but I have a a few quick questions.

-Has anyone backpacked with this tent?
-How was the experience?
-Does it seem rather heavy?
-Did you split the load with someone else?
-Is it far too much for one person to carry?
-Is backpacking with a 2 person tent completely out of the question?

Thanks.

Hello vthokeys. Welcome to the forum.

I actually have this tent and I personally love it. It is a bit on the heavy side for two man tents, but I don't mind the bit of extra weight for the nice bells and whistles. I bring the 2P tent even when solo. Cept, now I have a hammock I am sure I will be using a lot.

A bit of the specs I really like about the tent:
Vents on the rain fly. Really helps reduce condensation. I have never woken up with condensation in my tent and I have been in moderate rain conditions. No monsoon yet. So I haven't really tested its limits. But regardless I was pleased with the results during a moderate rain storm.

I really like the window in it. I set it up towards the south so in the morning I get to watch the sunrise from the comfort of my therm-a-rest. smile

The two door option is very useful when sharing space.

There is reflectix paint on there so at night when trying to find your tent it highlights when a headlamp is shone on it. Comes very useful sometimes when the Jim Beam goes camping xP

You can use the tent with just the ground sheet, pole, and rain fly and save a bunch of weight.

It has a good amount of pockets. They have ample space for whatever you need to put in there. They also give you a "attic" if you will (I forget the real term sorry), but its just a mesh thing that goes across the top part so you can store stuff up there. I normally keep it off this way I have more head room. I am about 5'6" and I can sit up comfortably in the tent without the mesh in there. With the mesh thing on it just felt more claustrophobic.

Downfall: The vestibule zippers are a pain in the butt to grab when getting out of the tent. Instead of reaching all the way to the grommet to zip it up, I keep the zippers by the top of the door which means I have to sort of "emerge" out of a partially unzipped vesibule. Not a huge deal to me, but to some it may be more of a nuisance. But the vestibules have plenty of space for gear.

#149075 - 04/09/11 04:15 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: vthokies364]
vthokies364 Offline

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your help. All of it was really useful.

#149083 - 04/09/11 11:25 PM Re: Backpacking with Marmot Twilight tent [Re: OldScout]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
That reminds me of the time I went to bed and then remembered I had some peppermints in my pants pocket. I was too lazy to get up and put them somewhere away from the tent but I worried all night that a bear might smell them come in.

Howie

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum