Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131713 - 04/07/10 01:48 PM Insoles for heel pain.
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have posted this same note on another forum. I thought I would also post it here in the possibility that someone might benefit.

I tend to suffer from plantar fasciitis and have experimented with a variety of different insoles for relief from the heel pain. I recently purchased a pair of New Balance IPR-3030 insoles and, for me, they provide more relief than any other insole I have tried. I won't claim that they will help everyone but they did work for me.

They don't provide the pronounced arch support as do a lot of other proprietary insoles. For me that is good since I have a fairly normal arch and want to keep it strong if possible. But they have a layer of "memory" foam on the top that really helps to distribute walking and jogging impact over much more of your foot than is the case with the harder insoles.

As I noted above, these may not be the ticket for everyone but they sure worked for me. If you are having chronic heel pain, as I did, they might be worth looking at. Google the "part number" above for online sources. You can get a pair for about $35.00. I have been using them now for about a month and for several hundred miles and they are still in good shape and have helped me a lot.

#131715 - 04/07/10 02:12 PM Re: Insoles for heel pain. [Re: Pika]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I was plagued with plantar fasciitis for a couple of years and it caused me to miss more than one race. A couple of doctor's visits and cortisone shots did not clear it up. A course of oral corticosteroids prescribed for a bad case of poison oak did wonders......for a few days.

I didn't want to pop ibuprofin every time I went running for the rest of my life. So I went shopping for over the counter orthotics to address the root cause. I have almost no longitudinal arch in either foot. I tried 3 or 4 different designs with no luck. And then I found a Dr. Scholl's product at Walmart and BAM......my problem was gone in a couple of weeks. I have worn them ever since, all the time. I own 5 pairs or so. I was lucky. I found what works for me.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#131740 - 04/07/10 11:17 PM Re: Insoles for heel pain. [Re: Trailrunner]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner

I didn't want to pop ibuprofin every time I went running for the rest of my life. So I went shopping for over the counter orthotics to adress the root cause. I have almost no longitudinal arch in either foot. I tried 3 or 4 different designs with no luck. And then I found a Dr. Scholl's product at Walmart and BAM......my problem was gone in a couple of weeks. I have worn them ever since, all the time. I own 5 pairs or so. I was lucky. I found what works for me.

Is this the relatively new "computerized semi-custom" insert? Or is it one of the more familiar off the shelf products?

I have some semi-custom ones selected by the computerized thing and they are OK. They feel better than any of the superfeet inserts because the "professional fitters" always gave me the green ones "because I was backpacking" but the green ones are "high arch" models, and my arch isn't high.

#131810 - 04/08/10 06:45 PM Re: Insoles for heel pain. [Re: Roocketman]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Roocketman

Is this the relatively new "computerized semi-custom" insert? Or is it one of the more familiar off the shelf products?

They're just an off the shelf insert that covers the back half of the sole. They are "U" shaped with quite a bit of support under the arch. Unfortunately I can't find them any more.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum