Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130524 - 03/11/10 12:05 PM Caldera Cone system
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I hear people talking about this system. What is so great about it? The ones I have seen take up a lot of space vs a reg alcohol stove and windscreen.

I use an alcohol stove with a aluminum foil windscreen and haven't had any problems.

Edited by Ewker (03/11/10 12:10 PM)

#130525 - 03/11/10 12:51 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Ewker]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Ewker
I hear people talking about this system. What is so great about it? The ones I have seen take up a lot of space vs a reg alcohol stove and windscreen.

I use an alcohol stove with a aluminum foil windscreen and haven't had any problems.

I use the Caldera UL Compact system and everything (cone, stove, alky bottle) all fits inside my pot, thus the whole system takes up no additional space.

As for the positives to the systems, it is just more efficient. Since there is no space between the pot, windscreen and stove the heat "stays in" the cone heating your pot more effectively which reduces the amount of alcohol needed and reduces boil times.

http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-ulc.html

Edited by ChrisFol (03/11/10 12:51 PM)

#130526 - 03/11/10 01:20 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: ChrisFol]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Efficiency is what I have heard also. It is a system and can be designed to work with many different pots. A couple I know who are doing the ADT are using it with the Esbit fuel set up.

#130527 - 03/11/10 01:32 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: ChrisFol]
Ewker Offline

[quote=ChrisFol
I use the Caldera UL Compact system and everything (cone, stove, alky bottle) all fits inside my pot, thus the whole system takes up no additional space.

As for the positives to the systems, it is just more efficient. Since there is no space between the pot, windscreen and stove the heat "stays in" the cone heating your pot more effectively which reduces the amount of alcohol needed and reduces boil times.

http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-ulc.html [/quote]

I have never seen one fit inside a pot. It is always sticking way out of the top since the cone is so much taller than the pot

Doesn't an aluminum foil windscreen do the samething?

#130529 - 03/11/10 01:45 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Ewker]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Ewker

I have never seen one fit inside a pot. It is always sticking way out of the top since the cone is so much taller than the pot

Doesn't an aluminum foil windscreen do the samething?

The UL Compact system is designed to fit inside the pot that it was designed for.

A generic aluminum foil windscreen does just what it is suppose to do; block wind. What it doesn't do is keep the heat inside and optimize fuel consumption and heat distribution.

#130544 - 03/11/10 04:57 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: ChrisFol]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia

Mine is the Ti version. Opted for that mostly because it is stronger and very flexible (does not kink)
Recently I purchased the Caddy, it wasn't out when I ordered mine (very early adopter...)
That caddy now takes the full system : pot/stove/cone/fuel bottle/lighter/stakes (for wood burning mode) and my kitchen cloth.
As I do "boil in the bag" kind of cooking, the bottom of the caddy is now my bowl and the top is my cap. No food taste remains once washed. I prefer that over the bags because it it easier to handle (for me) , easier to keep the food hot during re-hydration time (just pile spare clothing around it, and I do not ever have to wash the pot because I only boil water in it. That means that my tea does not taste of tomatoes or curry.
BTW, I never had another system that efficient particularly in cold/windy conditions. It is a lot more stable also than most (IE less chance of spilling your food)
Franco
Forgot to mention, yes I like it....
Note that the pot is outside the caddy and so is the lid..
There is a short cone version that fits inside the pot but it isn't as efficient.

#130569 - 03/11/10 10:28 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Ewker]
lori Offline

I will probably continue to use my many stoves depending on what I feel like taking at the time... but the Caldera Cone is a fuel miser. Works real well in wind. I got one to fit a pot i had already. The caddy doubles as a couple of cups or a cup and bowl. I can fit the spork and a towel in with a small fuel bottle.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130571 - 03/11/10 10:56 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Franco]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

The Caldera is nice and stable when cooking, and good in wind.

I side by side tested them in the field with my brother's caldera cone system, versus my penny stove and foil windscreen. In three days on the trail we didn't really notice any measurably practical fuel consumption difference between the two .. (and we were cooking the same foods) To be fair the penny is pretty darn efficient too.

I do like it for the stability, but I don't like how much space it takes.

Here's what we tested - this:

versus

Anyway, mainly due to that experience, I've stuck with the penny stove.

Browse my pictures

#130589 - 03/12/10 08:45 AM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Franco]
Ewker Offline

Originally Posted By Franco

Mine is the Ti version. Opted for that mostly because it is stronger and very flexible (does not kink)
Recently I purchased the Caddy, it wasn't out when I ordered mine (very early adopter...)
That caddy now takes the full system : pot/stove/cone/fuel bottle/lighter/stakes (for wood burning mode) and my kitchen cloth.
As I do "boil in the bag" kind of cooking, the bottom of the caddy is now my bowl and the top is my cap. No food taste remains once washed. I prefer that over the bags because it it easier to handle (for me) , easier to keep the food hot during re-hydration time (just pile spare clothing around it, and I do not ever have to wash the pot because I only boil water in it. That means that my tea does not taste of tomatoes or curry.
BTW, I never had another system that efficient particularly in cold/windy conditions. It is a lot more stable also than most (IE less chance of spilling your food)
Franco
Forgot to mention, yes I like it....
Note that the pot is outside the caddy and so is the lid..
There is a short cone version that fits inside the pot but it isn't as efficient.

Franco,

thanks for the picture of your setup.

I do freezer bag cooking so I wouldn't those plastic containers. If you didn't use the containers how would you carry the cone?

My pot looks to be a lot smaller than yours which is why I probably say those setups look large to me.

#130650 - 03/13/10 05:52 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: Ewker]
grit Online   content

Loc: Happy Jack, AZ
Are there any plans out there for making your own Caldera Cone system? I've run a search in the MYOG threads but I've not come up with anything.

#130657 - 03/13/10 08:54 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: grit]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota

#130663 - 03/13/10 11:22 PM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: grit]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA

#130670 - 03/14/10 04:45 AM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: grit]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Download the application here:
http://www.brothersoft.com/cone-layout-85539.html
Enter your specs, print (it will probably come in several pages to stick or tape together).
You have one perfect template to cut out material, just add some extra for assembly.

#130672 - 03/14/10 08:20 AM Re: Caldera Cone system [Re: frenchie]
grit Online   content

Loc: Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks Cook and Boomer for the video link. Very well done, clear and concise directions. And thanks Frenchie for the cone template. I'll soon be busy measuring, cutting and, hopefully, cooking!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum