Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119746 - 08/23/09 12:56 PM creek fording strategies
Paul Offline

Loc: California
On my last trip I had my first creek ford after about a week. Wearing trail running shoes, I just ploughed through, then changed to dry socks on the other side and kept going. the result - the shoes held enough water to soak my dry socks pretty quick and then I got blisters (small but troublesome) - after having had no foot problems up to that point. So I'm re-thinking my fording strategy, nad looking for input on what everyone else does. I know I could carry Crocs or water shoes, but I'm looking for lighter options. For those who have had success just ploughing through without stopping or changing socks, what kind of socks do you wear?

#119747 - 08/23/09 01:12 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
sparkyy Offline

Loc: southern california
I take off my shoes, and go through with just socks. It works fine. Change to dry pair and your golden. If doing multiple crossings, keep putting on the wet pair to go through. If you have baby feet this might not work for you.

#119754 - 08/23/09 02:51 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Sorry I don't have an answer to your specific query. I carry a cheap pair of flip flops on the back of my pack for this very reason. Just last week I came to a a 100yd beaver swamp I had to slog through knee deep. The flipflops worked great. I did have to worry a few times when I thought the muck had a good hold of them and might eat 'em up. I chuckled when I was 10 ft from the "shore" and I realized I was standing on a bridge that was a foot under water! Anyway, either go barefoot, use just socks (and change into dry) or carry some real light flipflops or sandals.

#119755 - 08/23/09 03:28 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Like anything else, it depends.

If there is only one crossing I'll try to keep my feet dry. But if it's a hot day and the trail ahead is dry I find the water refreshing on my feet. Those conditions existed a couple of weeks ago when I was in SEKI and I purposely walked through part of Hamilton Lake. My feet were dry again in an hour. I use thin nylon socks and that really helps.

I'll agree that dry socks quickly become wet socks when worn under wet shoes.

If I'm facing multiple stream crossings and/or it's raining I don't even try to keep my feet dry. I think resistance is futile. If I feel a hot spot coming on I tape it with Elastikon. Great stuff. It stretches with your skin and the adhesive is waterproof. I usually leave it on for several days. Injinji socks really help too. Last year on a long hike my feet were wet all day every day for nearly 4 days and I had nary a problem.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119756 - 08/23/09 03:42 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
I carry a pair of aquasocks for stream crossings. They also work well as camp shoes.

If I'm going to been in water all day, for instance the Redwood Creek trail is the creek and you're in the water 75% of the time I just wear trail runners and synthetic socks and get wet. Then switch to the wet shoes with Seal-Skin socks when I want dry feet.

#119761 - 08/23/09 05:28 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, if there isn't a log and I don't have any spare footwear or a pair I'm willing to get wet, I just roll through it barefoot. A little slippery sometimes, but all the more reason for my to take my time.

I used to bring along a pair of shoes just for that purpose that I didn't care would get wet and just change into them at crossings. Nowadays I bring along my Merrel water shoes I bought since they tend to be work just fine to walk in, water or not, if I were to get tired of my boots.

#119768 - 08/23/09 08:04 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
If stream crossings (or general foot-wetting) is rare and the stream easy to cross and the water visibility allows the bottom to be seen, I might take off shoes and socks to cross, else my strategy is like yours was (Paul), except for the changing into dry socks on the other side --- just walk through, and walk the shoes (and socks) dry.

Lots of people do this, and it's not just about stream crossings, but also walking in wet weather with porous shoes.

Everyone's feet are different, so I can't comment on why you got blisters from this (assuming clear causality) and others don't. I don't, at any rate. You might look at the particular spots where you got blisters and then look at your shoes at that spot --- maybe another shoe would be a solution (?).

What kind of socks: I typically wear just a thin, quick-to-dry liner sock, such as Fox River x-static liner socks. Sometimes I wear injinji's, but most commonly a single liner sock. Of course if it's cold out, a pair of wool socks go over those; they stay wet a long time, but retain warmth.

I've used seal skinz and goretex socks. I don't find the sealskinz keep me warm enough (over wool socks) to warrant carrying them. Goretex socks are nice in snow; for rain/wet they can be okay too, but a second pair of wool socks might be a better way to spend that bit of "weight allowance".

#119777 - 08/23/09 10:17 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: sparkyy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By sparkyy
I take off my shoes, and go through with just socks. It works fine. Change to dry pair and your golden. If doing multiple crossings, keep putting on the wet pair to go through. If you have baby feet this might not work for you.

This is really bad advice for several reasons, the primary one being that you have far less traction barefoot or in socks than you do with shoes on. Second, if you cut your foot on something sharp, you are in real trouble.

I've crossed many rivers in NZ where you had no idea what was on the bottom because you couldn't see it. I kept my boots on, crossed, squeezed the water out of my wool socks, put them back on and in about a half hour or so, they were dry. No blisters, no cuts. The only time I fell, I was carrying a 40 lb pack, but managed to get back on my feet after being on all fours. I don't think I could have gotten back up if I had been barefoot and most likely would have lost my pack.

fyi, I still have those boots and they look like someone took a box cutter to them-lots of small cuts in the leather all over them from extremely sharp rocks on river bottoms and trails.

Edited by TomD (08/23/09 10:25 PM)

#119778 - 08/23/09 10:36 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Barry's missionary zeal converted me to sandals last year. They are great for stream crossing. I pull off my socks, put the sandals back on and cross. Then I walk for a while sans socks until my feet are reasonably dry. Then I put the socks back on, replace the sandals, and keep going.

I used to use crocs (flip flops are a similar idea) but in swift current it's easy to lose one off your foot. I sandals I don't worry about this and I have plenty of traction.

In colder weather I use sealskins and sandals to cross streams and then switch back to my wool socks on the other side. I'd use sealskins and sandals all the time but they keep my feet a bit too moist from sweat I feel. Not super bad but not good enough to wear all day.

Edited by Heber (08/23/09 10:37 PM)

#119783 - 08/23/09 11:19 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Trailrunner Offline

Paul, what shoes were you wearing that didn't dry very fast? Not all trailrunners dry equally. Especially G-tex models or those with real leather.

#119787 - 08/24/09 12:21 AM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I cross all streams with shoes on, even if there is a log.

Shoes are usually running shoes made from all synthetic materials. I wear shoes that are a size or two larger than my foot size would indicate.

Socks are thin nylon dress socks.

I've never had a blister from doing this.

My feet, socks and shoes are usually wet from sweat anyway. I find the streams refreshing.

Shoes may or may not dry later in the day, depending upon weather. It really doesn't matter to me.

#119790 - 08/24/09 01:04 AM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: TomD]
sparkyy Offline

Loc: southern california
I edited my post because I came off like a prick, and for that I apologize.

Quote:
This is really bad advice for several reasons, the primary one being that you have far less traction barefoot or in socks than you do with shoes on. Second, if you cut your foot on something sharp, you are in real trouble.

Traction is just simply not an issue.

You are correct, if you do step on something sharp you are in trouble. However, if you step slowly and carefully, you prevent yourself from stepping on anything that will cut you. The proof is in the pudding.

Quote:

fyi, I still have those boots and they look like someone took a box cutter to them-lots of small cuts in the leather all over them from extremely sharp rocks on river bottoms and trails.

Edited by sparkyy (08/24/09 12:52 PM)

#119825 - 08/24/09 09:47 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Trailrunner]
Paul Offline

Asics Gel Trabuco. Not gore-tex, and I'd say perhaps a medium amount of leather. I don't have a wide choice of trail runners since most of them don't fit my rather wacky feet.

#119839 - 08/25/09 01:15 AM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: sparkyy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Traction is an issue. In creeks where the water is clear and not deep, no shoes might be fine, but in fast running rivers where you might be at least knee deep and can't see anything at all, one mistep and you can easily go over. I have a dislocated shoulder that proves how important traction is and that happened in a parking lot.

If you can't see the bottom, as I wrote, you have no idea what you are stepping on. To be honest, I couldn't care less what other people do as long as they aren't with me. I would never let anyone with me cross water with their shoes off. To me, it isn't worth the risk. I was hiking alone much of the time, so risk management was a high priority for me.

I don't mean to come across as mean spirited either, but for the conditions I was hiking in, I never saw anyone take off their boots and for good reason.

Edited by TomD (08/25/09 01:23 AM)

#119843 - 08/25/09 09:29 AM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: TomD]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Tom, I'm pretty much in your corner when it comes to how I ford streams. I have spent a lot of my time in country where many of the streams are glacial melt water. They can be, depending on conditions, deep and fast, slow, clear as a bell or pretty murky. The footing under all this is uncertain and shifting at best: mud, silt, sand, loose cobbles, boulders etc.

Early in my mountaineering days I tried crossing barefoot or with socks. I wanted to keep my boots dry. I did this a few times, hurt my feet and fell and then decided to start crossing in whatever shoes or boots I was wearing, sans socks. Sure my boots got wet but they would have gotten wet anyway as soon as I reached the snow or glacier above.

The important thing is to protect your feet and to have good traction and footing; bare feet (or socks) do not always provide these things. Everything else is a comfort issue; safety overrides comfort every time for me.

#119848 - 08/25/09 11:56 AM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
I wear Body Glide on my feet, which repels water, and just hike thru the streams, or hike in the down pouring rain with my trail runners and Smartwool Adrenaline socks. Happened this weekennd and not one blister, or hotspot, or foot sliding around. Hiked 6 miles in heavy rain the entire time. smile I swear by Body Glide. Haven't tried Hydropel, but I'm sure it's just as good.

#119852 - 08/25/09 12:37 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: TomD]
Trailrunner Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
in fast running rivers where you might be at least knee deep and can't see anything at all, one mistep and you can easily go over.

So true.

I have a video, shot last March, of a friend crossing Sespe Creek. She was in up to mid-calf and the water appeared to be benign.......until she stepped into an unseen hole and found herself up to her chest!!!!!!

#119878 - 08/25/09 06:59 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
hike arkansas Offline

Loc: fayetteville, AR
hefty trash bags over your boots seems to work well, at least for water no deeper than knee deep. dont weigh much and can serve double duty as a tent footprint.

#119880 - 08/25/09 09:03 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: hike arkansas]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
I've been trying to get a video from my friend of me crossing otter creek, water just below my butt rushing crazy after a night of thunder storms carrying my 60lb dutch sheperd on my shoulder. There was no way he would be able to cross safely and he was too scared to try it anyway. i have had to do this a few times unfortunately, not really the safest thing to do, pretty intense actually and its usually just us two on the hike. I use keen slip on sandals when crossing even in winter, I keep them strapped to my pack and use them as camp shoes as well. I think the next K9 will be a dutch retreiver haha

#119883 - 08/25/09 10:19 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Paul
felt bottomed flyfishing boots with goretex waders. And a wading staff.
Jim

#119947 - 08/26/09 11:34 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Paul Offline

So I ordered a couple pair of the sprintaquatics mesh shoes, and already recieved them. 2 oz for the pair (their size 11-12 is what I ordered, but the little sticker on the shoes says 13 - they fit my size 12 feet okay), and they look like they would work out pretty well. here's another idea I found while this discussion has been going on;

http://translate.google.se/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andersj.se&sl=sv&tl=en&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8

These or something similar would be easy to make and might be nice for colder weather.

#120006 - 08/27/09 11:55 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
Read Barry's posts. Sandals are great. I compromised with Salomon techamphibians. The back adjusts and optionally folds down.

Thanks Barry

#120117 - 08/31/09 05:00 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: Paul]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…but I'm looking for lighter options. For those who have had success just ploughing through without stopping or changing socks, what kind of socks do you wear?”

Thanks Heber and Ecrow for the kind words. When you have a piece of Heaven, you want to share it smile.

I’m a Teva TeraFi-2 sandal backpacker and ford streams and rivers all the time with sock and sandal. It actually feels very nice. I love open toe sandals. I just change my socks once/day. My booted backpacking buddies change once/hour in high humidity to minimize blisters. I wear thick coolmax socks during 3-season. I find them at Walmart--- Dickies have been working great. They provide nice cushion and dry fast.

This teva sandal provides great traction on wet granite rock, even at sharp angles. And they continue to amaze me as I just summited Mt. Timpanogos in UT which required a lot of scree and snow scrambling (I got off the trail). I was impressed with a few people doing this summit in their chacos. I feel Teva’s ‘spider rubber’ has a better grab than most hiking footwear out there.

Just make sure the sandal is strapped tight when you backpack. Then loosen it when stopped. It then feels like a slipper smile.

When the temperature gets around 25-35F, I then use a different strategy for fording rivers.

Sprintaquatics will probably work. However, when your ankle is turning on the rocks, it helps to have the footwear snug-tight in that water which I can’t see happening with sprintaquatics nylon mesh shoe.
Also, if you’re with a partner or group, I just find changing footwear really slows down the group.

Blisters are caused by heat, moisture, and friction. Minimize one of them to minimize blisters. Try to minimize two of them to eliminate blisters.

-Barry

#120122 - 08/31/09 05:52 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
How was Timp? I am thinking of taking my scouts up it next spring. My boss took his cubs up it a few months ago. I figure if cubs can do it, then scouts should be able to.

#120131 - 08/31/09 08:10 PM Re: creek fording strategies [Re: BarryP]
Paul Offline

Barry - I would love to try sandals, but I have prescription orthotics, without which my feet hurt a lot. No sandal I have found (and I did some looking) will allow me to use my orthotics, and none has a footbed shaped anything like my orthotics. If you know of any sandals that will aloow me to use my orthotics, I'd love to hear about them.
I agree that the sprintaquatics shoes will be less than ideal, but they seem like a big step up from barefoot, and at 2 oz for the pair not much to carry. Plus being useful for recreational wading as well.
I'm also considering the idea that I just need to change to thinner socks, as it seems that the folks who are having success wading streams in their trail runners and socks and not stopping are using thinner socks than I am. so that might be the ticket, I'll have to give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum