Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120154 - 09/01/09 03:44 PM TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US)
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I've been looking into UL tents for when I have the occasion to go on multi-day trips or when weather conditions are variable/unpredictable. I've pretty much narrowed down to two options, the Tarptent Contrail and the SMD Lunar Solo (I briefly looked at the GG The One, but decided it was a bit too narrow at the ends). Both are pretty much identical in terms of specs, but the TT is a front-entry shelter, whereas the Lunar Solo is side entry.

I'm curious if anyone has used a similar shelter, one with ventilation netting on all 4 sides, in the Southeast US. Where I'll be using it for 3 season use, humidity and nighttime temps can both be pretty high, 'specially in the summer months, and I'm wondering if the larger surface area of the side entry will make a ventilation differance vs. the front entry. Any experience or thoughts?

#120176 - 09/02/09 01:51 AM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: gorge_medic]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I have used both a Tarptent and SMD tent. The TT I have is a squall 2. It has fairly good ventilation depending on the pitch. It has weathered a snow storm and heavy rain with no problems. Since the squall 2 is bigger i cant comment on the space, but just the quality of the tent.
I bought the SMD Gatewood cape, which is kinda like a lunar with a hood on it. I liked the idea of the shelter also being rain gear. I really like the Gatewood, you can adjust the pitch to allow more ventilation. Though the tent does take practice setting up, and figuring out how to change the pitch.

Both tents ventilate well but i think the lunar would have more, depending on how you pitch it. The lunar's door faces away fro the wind, where as the contrails you point the door to the wind(?) Though I think the Contrail would shed the wind better, i haven't had any problems with the gatewood and wind yet. For bug resistance the Contrail would win because it has a floor, you can always add netting to a tent. oh yeah i hike in the sierras so ground bugs aren't a big problem.

Edited by Bushman (09/02/09 01:54 AM)

#120182 - 09/02/09 09:49 AM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Bushman]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have slept in a cloudburst (the older model tarptent), and I own a lunar solo. I can't give you a solid opinion on hot and sticky climates because I don't hike in them wink However, ventilation being a concern for me, both tents vent very well when pitched properly, and if you pitch them high you get plenty of air in both. I personally like the lunar solo side entry, but it's a matter of personal preference, both are very good tents. One thing possibly in favour of the tarptent in hot weather is a slightly lighter color, and the ability to set it up as a tunnel shotgun-house style with one end *facing* the wind to get breeze through the shelter.

Having said that I don't think you'll find a lot of difference, and either way, I don't think you can make a bad choice between those two, so don't sweat it. pick one and go with it, spend your time worrying about how to get out more rather than worrying about which tent smile

Browse my pictures

#120217 - 09/02/09 09:48 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: phat]
Cajun Offline

Loc: Tennessee
They are both good tents but here in the SE you are going to have condensation problems. If you are OK with that, you will be happy with either one.

#120264 - 09/03/09 03:35 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Bushman]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
My TT Contrail only got condensation twice, both times at the same campsite close beside a stream in the high Sierras at 8,000 ft.. Both times the condensation froze inside (temps in the mid 20s F. by morning). Never had condensation in rainy weather.

The warm stream and cold air did it. Companions camped 30 feet highter on the hill had no problems at all in their single wall tents.

Eric

#120278 - 09/03/09 08:31 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: 300winmag]
Cajun Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Down here in the SE with the humidity we have, you're going to get condensation. Most of the time it's not too bad, you just to wipe a few times. If it rains, you're going to have problems. Both tents are good designs, we just have really high humidity.

#120374 - 09/05/09 06:45 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Cajun]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Recently I have had two hikes over there (the US) . The first night on the PCT camping at around 5000' I was expecting some wind but it turned out almost a still night so I had some condensation (minor) from then on I always left the Contrail fully opened (mesh door zipped up) to remain nice and dry for the rest of the trip.
Franco

Edited by Franco (09/05/09 06:51 PM)

#120447 - 09/06/09 04:51 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Franco, I've always guyed out the side loops of my Contrail for extra stability. I notce you eschew that practice. Ever have to use the side stake points?

Eric

#120449 - 09/06/09 05:44 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: gorge_medic]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have owned both the Contrail and the Lunar Solo. I prefer the Lunar Solo because of the side entrance and generally more usable footprint. I still have the Lunar Solo; I sold the Contrail.

I have had condensation problems with both of them, mostly on cool, clear, nights in places like the high Sierra. The condensation was not too bad but was definitely a presence. Because the sleeping position of the Lunar Solo puts ones face nearer the fabric, you can get a face full of cold water if you don't think about it before you try to sit up.

I now mostly use a Big Agnes Fly Creek. It is only ounces heavier than the Lunar Solo and has the double wall feature. It is a bit more snug than the Lunar Solo but also a bit warmer. I wrote a review of the Fly Creek on Trail Space if you are interested in this tent.

#120461 - 09/06/09 10:39 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Hi Eric
Yes I do if I suspect that it will be windy or I am in the mood to put the extra pegs in...
See this picture taken at Spectacle Lake. For a view of the lake itself turn your head to the right.
Franco

#120465 - 09/06/09 11:47 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Franco]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Tried looking but still couldn't see the lake. . . crazy

I'm amazed at how much the Contrail looks like my Gerry tent from the late '60s.

#120474 - 09/07/09 04:33 AM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: Keith]
Franco Offline

The Contrail was inspired by a much earlier tent, the A.S. Comstock from 1891 (!)
However I prefer the catenary curve look, hence the extra strut in the rear...
Franco

#120482 - 09/07/09 04:23 PM Re: TT Contrail vs. SMD Lunar Solo (SE US) [Re: gorge_medic]
Travelite Offline

Loc: Georgia
It’s a tough call, both shelters are excellent. I live in the SE and chose the Contrail. I think it may have a slight edge on ventilation over the Lunar Solo. The nice thing about the Contrail is its quite roomy, and less likely to come in contact with the condensation. But when it comes to wind shedding and light snow, I would give the edge to the Lunar Solo.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum