Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101493 - 08/20/08 10:53 AM MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I posted my thoughts on the Hyperflow in the previous thread on this filter, and nothing has really changed since using it again. It functions as advertised, and in general I like it. The question I have has to do with the pumping force required.

I follow the directions and back flush the unit once a day (after pumping about 8 - 10 liters of water) while out using it. I have noticed that in just a few days of use (that's total use over a couple of trips) even with back flushing that the pumping force required has increased tremendously, and this is after filtering clear water. I’m not a body builder but I try to stay in decent physical condition, and I am having trouble pumping this thing. What are other user’s thoughts on this? Could it be that I have a faulty unit (I have read that some people are having problems with the Hyperflow…could be that I should have waited till the bugs were worked out)?

#101494 - 08/20/08 12:34 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I tried the Hyperflow at the local REI and thought it was broken because of how hard it was to pump. The salesman said that not only was it not broken but many buyers have returned them and he recommended not buying one until the bugs were worked out.

#101495 - 08/20/08 01:02 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
My buddy, his GF & I did a 4-day backpack trip in Necklace Valley (WA) two weeks ago where we used his new Hyperflow and found it very, very difficult to pump.

We all joked about MSR's hyper hype they projected onto the public about how it's Thee fastest water filter pump made, blah, blah, etc. They nailed the Hype all right.

HIGH FLOW: Pumps more than 3 liters per minute or one liter every 20 strokes.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp

Maybe in a controlled lab with the filter held in a vice, and a triathlete pumping purified bottled water. We barely achieved 1-liter per minute with his new Hyperflow.

As the late Ron Gregg said, "this industry is full of hype." LMAO
O.R. gear designer guru.

It's a compact, and yes light weight pump H2o filter but it doesn't pump as fast as it says it does in my experience. I would expect such hard pumping to occur after a few dozen gallons pumped not a few liters later.

#101496 - 08/20/08 08:55 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
thegeoguy Offline

Loc: Sonoma County, California
On a recent trip, my brother started to refer to it as the BowFlex... I admit we did not backflush as frequently as recommended, so that may have also been a factor. However, even after about 4 repeated backflushings, it never really improved. I had concluded that you probably really have to stay on top of backflushing.

#101497 - 08/21/08 09:47 AM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: thegeoguy]
Berserker Offline

Bowflex...I like that one. I was telling my buddy I was with that I won't ever have to do flys in the gym again with this pump, and that after using it on a longer trip I should have huge pecs.

#101498 - 08/21/08 11:31 AM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Well, this is a disappointment. As to the filter element's use in gravity systems (which it is), I can't imagine how they're not going to completely clog and fail to pass water (no pun intended) with no chance of field-servicing.

Hopefully our MSR Jason can enlighten us?

#101499 - 08/22/08 06:50 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
Mine has worked quite well so far. I have only had it since June, used on a few overnighters. Not sure how much water I have put through it, but I would guess only about a dozen liters. I try to pick relatively clear water to pump. I haven’t had occasion to pump water from a sludgy pond yet. So far I have not back flushed mine either. Time will tell I guess.

Howie

#101500 - 08/22/08 08:33 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Howie]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I mentioned this on HighSierraTopix and one member who belongs here too I believe, said a group of four used one for four days in a glacier fed lake and had no issues. They back flushed it frequently too and kept it lubed. YMMV?

#101501 - 08/22/08 08:53 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: hikerduane]
bash Offline

Loc: Scotts Valley,CA
well glacier fed water can have a fair amount of sediment too. Nice to see it work so well. I bought one after my Steripen failed me in Yosemite. I have not used it yet, but it gets its chance next weekend!!

#101502 - 08/23/08 01:23 AM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Rick_D]
frediver Offline

I don't give a rats A what the various companies say about filter life, they all require a good user serviceable
pre-filter. No one makes a good serviceable pre-filter.

#101503 - 08/23/08 10:03 AM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: frediver]
Rick_D Offline

It's kind of overkill, but there's this:

http://www.summithut.com/products/siltstopper/

Completely serviceable, presuming you're willing to carry a replacement element.

Quote:
I don't give a rats A what the various companies say about filter life, they all require a good user serviceable
pre-filter. No one makes a good serviceable pre-filter.

#101504 - 08/23/08 12:20 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Rick_D]
frediver Offline

I had one and did not like the proprietary filter elements.
IMO What is really needed is a small filter body like that which the user can open up
to refill with poly fluff, charcoal or what ever. No special filter pads required.
IMO they would sell more pre-filters this way.
Of course you could use a gas filter but they are heavier and usually
not serviceable.

#101505 - 08/25/08 02:04 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Rick_D]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Well, this is a disappointment. As to the filter element's use in gravity systems (which it is), I can't imagine how they're not going to completely clog and fail to pass water (no pun intended) with no chance of field-servicing.

Hopefully our MSR Jason can enlighten us?
I'm not going to tell you that the Hyperflow doesn't get harder the more it's used. This is true and something we have talked about and trained on at our recent sales meeting. This is most definitely a concern for MSR and you can expect some updates in the future.

However my own personal experience has been positive. It is a small, light and fast filter which is consistent with MSR's claims. I've timed myself at almost 3L per minute although I was really trying. It has the capability to do so, but that will diminish, just like every other filter on the market, the more you use it.

It might be worth checking out the HyperFlow FAQ page. Often the main culprit is that the backflushing is not performed properly. Cascade Designs is also preparing a video that will be available sometime around the first of September which visually shows how to properly backflush. This video will be available under the water treatment section of their website.

I find the introduction of the Hyperflow to follow many of the more technical aspects of the MSR products. As you look back at when the Whisperlite was introduced, many felt the steps needed to operate, clean, and maintain that stove were beyond the scope of the average backpacker. However today it has become a standard piece of gear. The Hyperflow falls into this same category. It is true innovation in backcountry water treatment that will stand the test of time.

The AutoFlow and the CleanStream are gravity filters using the Hollow Fiber technology. The benefit here is that the user is not forcing the water through the membrane, but rather allowing gravity to do so. Thus the microscopic particles sit on the surface of the membrane much more loosely and, as a result, are much easier for them to be dislodged. Thus by simply reversing the flow of the water through the filter, most of the "stuff" is removed. Therefore the gravity filters have a larger capacity based on the fact that they can more effectively be cleaned. They aren't as light as the Hyperflow (10oz. vs. 7.5oz.) nor as packable, but they do a very effective job at 1.5L per minute without any pumping, etc.

I've used both the AutoFlow and the CleanStream in the dirty Colorado River and was very pleased with how well they worked. They are fast and when backflushed, I am amazed at how much of the dirt is removed. Just like the Hyperflow however, it does get slower the more its used, even when backflushed.

#101506 - 08/26/08 10:36 AM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Berserker Offline

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like there are some mixed results here. I also saw on Whiteblaze that others are complaining about the pumping force, so it is definitely and issue.

For the record, I am 6'-5" (how many times have long time members seen me post my height and said "I don't care"...it's for the newer guys), in decent physical condition (lift light weights), and I pump a liter or two during the day and about 5 after setting up camp. It's the 5 in a row that's tough. I can deal with the force required for 1 liter, but a few liters into the 5 my muscles are burning. My buddy was watching me last time we were out, and commented on how he was glad he got the Miniworks. I will say that if you pump slower, it's not as bad. It goes against the speed claims of the filter though, and makes the filter kinda "one dimensional" in that all one really saves in using it is weight.

#101507 - 08/26/08 12:43 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
For me the weight saving and size is enough. I looked at the Mini-Works and I couldn't figure out how people who are so into "light weight" could embrace something so heay. The Sweet Water didn't seem a whole light better either.

Is this problelm related to the pre-filter? Nobody really clarified that. Is it still hard to pump without the pre-filter?

Howie

#101508 - 08/26/08 02:23 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: jasonlivy]
Rick_D Offline

Thanks for your detailed answer Jason. As a follow-up, do you know whether biofilm (non-particle) clogging is an issue with this filter technology?

Cheers,

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you that the Hyperflow doesn't get harder the more it's used. This is true and something we have talked about and trained on at our recent sales meeting. This is most definitely a concern for MSR and you can expect some updates in the future.

However my own personal experience has been positive. It is a small, light and fast filter which is consistent with MSR's claims. I've timed myself at almost 3L per minute although I was really trying. It has the capability to do so, but that will diminish, just like every other filter on the market, the more you use it.

It might be worth checking out the HyperFlow FAQ page. Often the main culprit is that the backflushing is not performed properly. Cascade Designs is also preparing a video that will be available sometime around the first of September which visually shows how to properly backflush. This video will be available under the water treatment section of their website.

I find the introduction of the Hyperflow to follow many of the more technical aspects of the MSR products. As you look back at when the Whisperlite was introduced, many felt the steps needed to operate, clean, and maintain that stove were beyond the scope of the average backpacker. However today it has become a standard piece of gear. The Hyperflow falls into this same category. It is true innovation in backcountry water treatment that will stand the test of time.

The AutoFlow and the CleanStream are gravity filters using the Hollow Fiber technology. The benefit here is that the user is not forcing the water through the membrane, but rather allowing gravity to do so. Thus the microscopic particles sit on the surface of the membrane much more loosely and, as a result, are much easier for them to be dislodged. Thus by simply reversing the flow of the water through the filter, most of the "stuff" is removed. Therefore the gravity filters have a larger capacity based on the fact that they can more effectively be cleaned. They aren't as light as the Hyperflow (10oz. vs. 7.5oz.) nor as packable, but they do a very effective job at 1.5L per minute without any pumping, etc.

I've used both the AutoFlow and the CleanStream in the dirty Colorado River and was very pleased with how well they worked. They are fast and when backflushed, I am amazed at how much of the dirt is removed. Just like the Hyperflow however, it does get slower the more its used, even when backflushed.

#116539 - 05/26/09 01:12 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Berserker Offline

I'm not sure if the issues with the Hyperflow ever got documented here so I thought I would mention that the first batch of Hyperflows have defective cartridges. If you have a defective cartridge you can call MSR at 1-800-531-9531 to get it replaced. I just recently got mine replaced and the filter now works as advertised. Pumps easy and fast, and the backflush works properly. For more info check this out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45798&highlight=hyperflow.

#116598 - 05/27/09 12:15 PM Re: MSR Hyperflow Pumping Force [Re: Berserker]
Rick_D Offline

Good to hear.

If there's one thing that really sets MSR apart for me, it's customer service. We gripe about their prices (I'm part of the chorus) but their willingness to go the extra mile in keeping their customers happy and their gear on the trail is unmatched, in my experience.

I bought the short NeoAir, which I've yet to put to use, but in the meantime I'm marveling over how tiny it is. It's hard to overstate how much pack space it's going to free up.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum