Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116242 - 05/19/09 12:12 PM Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year:
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Neoair:
This is just a bunch of rambled thoughts: I bought the short. 9.1oz; More comfy than I expected. I’m an air mattress skeptic. I hurt when I sleep on them; even with ½ the air let out. However, this neoair gave me good back support; better than any other pad. It takes me 15 full breaths to get it rock solid. Or it takes me 14 breaths to give it a little cush and support all my back curves when sleeping on the back. I put a sit pad at my feet. I do not need a pillow when lying on the back. I fell asleep on my back and stayed on my back all night--- which is rare. It does not work for me at all when sleeping on my stomach; my back bends at weird angles. When side sleeping, it is tricky: I felt like I’m on a waterbed. I will tip over if my body is not balanced right. In fact, my leak test consists of putting a 5 gallon bucket of water on the pad overnight. I could not do it on the Neoair because I could not steady the bucket.

No air leaked with me anyway. I used it in 50-60F nights. The first time out of the box it smelled like old paint. I don’t know what that was. Outdoors it smelled fine. I would give it a 5 star for back sleepers and 1 star for stomach sleepers. I would give it a 4 star for side sleepers though it might approach the 3. However, the light weight outweighs the side-sleeping balancing act because it is livable and still comfy and that’s why I would give it a side-sleeping 4. The pad never slid in my GG Classic Squall. I slept under a Jacks R Better Stealth quilt. I sleep in silk pajamas. When I tried to turn on the Neoair, it grabbed my pajamas. So I had to exhibit a little more dexterity when moving on my Neoair.
-----------

Zebralight H501 Headlamp http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main...2ahukfclkpjlj91
I bought from their site and it took 4 weeks to come in. Now that’s an amazing light.
I did a runtime test w/ a 2500mA AA rechargeable on Medium. My meter batteries went out at 15 hours. So maybe their claim of 19 hours is accurate. However, my graph for that 15 hours showed rock solid flat light intensity as the battery went down. That’s a nice voltage stepper circuit.
The beam is stunning for camp. There are no hotspots. Medium- lights up a whole picnic table; enough for 8 people to play cards. One time I turned my headlamp on and one of my buddies looked up and said “I didn’t know there was a street light out here!”. While he was looking for this streetlight, I pointed out that the ‘light’ was coming from my head.
The light easily turns on with the press of a button. I was worried it would come on in my pack. But it never did. Maybe it was the way I packed it. The light comes with a glow-in-the-dark holder. It glows for about 8.5 hours. It would make it easy to find your light in the dark tent. However, I didn’t use it because the light turned too loosely in it. I used the black holder; it does a very good job holding the light where you point it. Also it has a belt clip. I haven’t tried it yet.
On low, I can still read a book. I never did use it on high backpacking. Medium was perfect for around camp. I cannot feel it on my head. I have not backpacked in the dark with this (yet) but if I did, I would use it on high. It is very easy to change the single AA cell. I would give this light a 5 star.
I will admit, I still take my fenix L1D. I am a flashaholic. I love spotting things far away in the dark. The H501 won’t do that.
-------------

GG Murmer backpack
I didn’t know if I could get 3 days of stuff in this 8oz backpack but I did. With 1L of water, my trusty filter, food and fuel, it weighed 17.5 lbs. I was worried about such thin waist straps. But it was soooo comfortable. I used the GG Sitpad for the frame. I had a 2oz car-wash towel tucked with the sitpad to absorb my sweat. The bottom of the pack has nice tough material. I have a 32” waist and it says it should fit up to a 42” waist. I don’t know how that is possible since I was almost at the end of the straps. So I better not gain any weight eek.
The pack performs its function beautifully; low cost, low weight, comfortable. That combination gets a 5 star by me.

Just thinking out loud…
-Barry

#116248 - 05/19/09 02:33 PM Re: Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year: [Re: BarryP]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I sent my NeoAir in for repair since I got a "v" hole trying to find the pin hole leak. I was able to get a RA#, so I'm waiting to hear back if it was fixable or if they will send a new one like the dealer thought they might do. I inflated my pad in 12 breaths.:) I'm with you, had a very comfortable sleep using it on four nights so far, first night was the best as it seems the case is usually. I'm a side sleeper and my shoulders did better using it. Gotta love the weight.

#116254 - 05/19/09 03:07 PM Re: Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year: [Re: BarryP]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
This is the type of post that makes this forum worthwhile.

Thank you Barry!!!! goodjob thanks thanks

#116265 - 05/19/09 06:43 PM Re: Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year: [Re: BarryP]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
BarryP:

Your rambled thoughts on the Neoair are gonna cost me! Te cuesta! cry grin

When I get one, I'm anxious to see if I can fill it in a duane (12 breaths) or a barry (14 breaths) -- I'll be in Denver, so it might take a kevon (23 breaths B4 passing out.) food: lookout, we're going to hike the Lost Creek Wilderness!

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#116285 - 05/19/09 09:52 PM Re: Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year: [Re: kevonionia]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
smile Must be the twice weekly jogging a couple miles.

#116308 - 05/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Updates on gear I’ve bought and tried this year: [Re: BarryP]
packs2much Offline

Loc: Dever, Co
Wow thanks Barry! Do you get paid for these in depth reviews?? Cause you should!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum